What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thoughts on 2017/2018

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I don't know what the contract situation is with Tyson Gamble but after the trial the other night I'd be hoping it is longer than a year.

A year or so ago I went to visit my brother in Qld. We went to a game not even caring who was playing and I kept commenting on the big 5/8. I didn't even know his name at the time but I found out when I got home it was Gamble.

He is obviously big but he is much faster than you think. More a swerve than a step but gee he could set up his outside backs well. I know Qld Cup isn't NRL but this guy was a level above. I actually thought he was like Curtis Sironen at 5/8 (size I mean) but that Gamble could actually play better. He hit like the Hammer of Thor is defence too. I was really impressed (on the sole game I saw him play).

When we signed him I was pretty happy. Then we signed Benji and I guess I was happy with that too. My concern is I hope Benji doesn't keep Gamble out of the side (excepting good form obviously) to the detriment of Gamble being noticed and signed by someone else. If his contract is at least two years he will be here after Benji has gone.

I really think this guy is the real deal. He is a running 5/8 for sure but when it is called for he can give a good pass to a wide running second row or centre. I reckon Aloiai or Marsters would love this guy because he draws defenders because of his size and speed and opens up gaps.

As I say, I saw one game of Qld Cup. I really hope he gets a run this week and I am not worried if Brooks or Reynolds go off the boil as this guy is a solid option at 5/8.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Geez it’s good that the teams biggest liability Brooks has stiff competition for the halfback spot.

Short of a miraculous improvement in form I can see Brooks being dumped to Hodgos magpie team during the season !

super_coach

First Grade
20 minute run in the second half of a trial match has got a lot of people talking Gamble up. Showed some ability but I will reserve my judgement for a few months. Seen plenty of young kids been given massive raps only to fade off the scene as quickly as they arrived.

Granted he seems to have some skill and he can kick goals, be interesting how long Cleary will persist with Brooks if his form dosnt pick up. My gut feeling Benji will be the first cab off the ranks if either Reynolds or Brooks need replacing than Gamble

Tiger Ted

Bench
20 minute run in the second half of a trial match has got a lot of people talking Gamble up. Showed some ability but I will reserve my judgement for a few months. Seen plenty of young kids been given massive raps only to fade off the scene as quickly as they arrived.

Granted he seems to have some skill and he can kick goals, be interesting how long Cleary will persist with Brooks if his form dosnt pick up. My gut feeling Benji will be the first cab off the ranks if either Reynolds or Brooks need replacing than Gamble
Yep agree the prodigal son will certainly b 1st cab off the rank.Benji & Gamble (albeit like u said his only played part of s trial match) r massive advances on the pedestrian Littlejohn re our depth at the scrumbase.

Tiger05

First Grade
Geez it’s good that the teams biggest liability Brooks has stiff competition for the halfback spot.

Short of a miraculous improvement in form I can see Brooks being dumped to Hodgos magpie team during the season !

I can see Brooks getting replaced this season. I like Brooks but he has to perform.

Das Hassler

Bench
I don't know what the contract situation is with Tyson Gamble but after the trial the other night I'd be hoping it is longer than a year.

A year or so ago I went to visit my brother in Qld. We went to a game not even caring who was playing and I kept commenting on the big 5/8. I didn't even know his name at the time but I found out when I got home it was Gamble.

He is obviously big but he is much faster than you think. More a swerve than a step but gee he could set up his outside backs well. I know Qld Cup isn't NRL but this guy was a level above. I actually thought he was like Curtis Sironen at 5/8 (size I mean) but that Gamble could actually play better. He hit like the Hammer of Thor is defence too. I was really impressed (on the sole game I saw him play).

When we signed him I was pretty happy. Then we signed Benji and I guess I was happy with that too. My concern is I hope Benji doesn't keep Gamble out of the side (excepting good form obviously) to the detriment of Gamble being noticed and signed by someone else. If his contract is at least two years he will be here after Benji has gone.

I really think this guy is the real deal. He is a running 5/8 for sure but when it is called for he can give a good pass to a wide running second row or centre. I reckon Aloiai or Marsters would love this guy because he draws defenders because of his size and speed and opens up gaps.

As I say, I saw one game of Qld Cup. I really hope he gets a run this week and I am not worried if Brooks or Reynolds go off the boil as this guy is a solid option at 5/8.

Sounds like you could have been describing Blake Austin from a few years ago

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I wasn't so much talking about Gamble to replace Brooks, more that we have a young guy who could go onto be a solid 1st grader and Benji at the end of his career. One will probably be in the side, the other not. I don't want to lose Gamble if he sits in reserves.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Do people think we would be better served if Matulino came off the bench? Maybe start with Packer and Twal and then bring on Matulino and Felise/Grant/Sue to at least maintain some solid go forward. I read Matulino likes coming off the bench.

I don't mind that being the case....

Clifferd

Coach
Do people think we would be better served if Matulino came off the bench? Maybe start with Packer and Twal and then bring on Matulino and Felise/Grant/Sue to at least maintain some solid go forward. I read Matulino likes coming off the bench.

I don't mind that being the case....

Yeah I’ve been saying that most off season. Packer/Twal start with Matulino and Grant/Felise off the bench gives us the best balance

I have a feeling the side rolled out this weekend against Cronulla will pretty much be our side round 1 give or take a couple players.

Last edited:

Tigers Tale

Juniors
I am not anti Grant or Sue being in the side but I'd like to see Twal and Felise partnering Packer and Matulino. They will learn heaps off these two and balance the rotation well.

I agree this weekend will probably be the side for round 1. Can't wait to see who plays but the fingers and toes will be crossed no one gets injured.

Perth Tiger

Bench
While Felise was MoM in the first trial, I would think he would need to back it up with another similar performance in this trial or the first couple of weeks in NSW Cup before jumping above Grant/Sue in the rotation.

But if he keeps the form up it wont take to long

Clifferd

Coach
I am not anti Grant or Sue being in the side but I'd like to see Twal and Felise partnering Packer and Matulino. They will learn heaps off these two and balance the rotation well.

I agree this weekend will probably be the side for round 1. Can't wait to see who plays but the fingers and toes will be crossed no one gets injured.

100% agree mate

Plenty more upside for Felise & Twal also as they are just starting their careers whilst Grant is at the twilight of his career. Can’t make everyone happy

Clifferd

Coach
lolohea not named in the trial at all. Named in nsw cup

Gives me the impression Ivan isn’t sold on him being fullback

Or it could just be to get a full 80 under his belt. Still I thought it would’ve made more sense to work on combos in the NRL

I saw that Clifferd and would have thought as you, more game time to build combinations.

I can understand Fonua (control your attitude lesson perhaps), & Gamble (well he needs to build combination with his ISP team) playing 80 minutes perhaps and even McQueen (underdone because of the neck injury) all named in ISP 17. Not sure about Felise but perhaps IC has seen enough already.

https://www.weststigers.com.au/news/2018/02/21/team-announcement--trial-match-v-cronulla-sharks/

Tiger Ted

Bench
lolohea not named in the trial at all. Named in nsw cup

Gives me the impression Ivan isn’t sold on him being fullback

Or it could just be to get a full 80 under his belt. Still I thought it would’ve made more sense to work on combos in the NRL
It doesn’t make sense that he isn’t playing in the main game.

We will run into massive problems if both naquaima & zelezniak r in the Nrl side in 2 weeks time.They r both substandard & ought to b playing for the magpies.We deadset have depth issues in the 3/4’s.Our best 3/4 line is Nofa Marsters Milne & Fonua/Thompson.We get hit by major injuries to the 3/4’s we will b in massive trouble !

Tiger05

First Grade
I hope we run out with a better team than that for round one as well. There are some good players that aren't in the first team this weekend.

Latest posts