Tigers on the Hunt for New Coach.

Discussion in 'Wests Tigers' started by Leigh Howlett, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Crazyperpman

Crazyperpman Juniors

While we are at it, Marina cant make like a tree and Go!

2. Shredder

Shredder Juniors

Who do you want 05?

Who is going to turn this club around "quickly?"

3. Tiger05

Tiger05 Bench

I'd like to see us competitive next season and I think that is possible. I'd even be happy though with getting rid of some guys who are prima donnas and having left over money to purchase guys who can improve us from where we are.

I actually like the big 4 as players but they need to be paid what they are worth. Since Benji and Robbie were here we've had players who think they deserve top dollar but results don't matter.

We also need a coach and admin staff that recognise good players and try to retain those players.

I'd probably choose Cleary as coach but I'm even happy to see how Webster goes. I'm more interested in who we can get in though to oversee football operations.

4. Ron's_Mate

Ron's_Mate Juniors

Apparently Todd Payten is managed by Isaac Moses, who also manages the big two and the little two. How cosy would it be to have all his clients working together?

5. Tiger05

Tiger05 Bench

How about they give us a 50% discount each on their true worth as a package deal. So we don't get Broses for $2 million but 1/2 of say $300k each. That would be okay.

6. Fangs

Fangs Juniors

I have to applaud the Tigers for making such a gutsy decision.

Everyone knew Taylor wouldn't last the season. But usually a club will take a conservative approach and wait at least 6-7 rounds. They saw the writing on the wall and acted appropriately.

The Tigers might have set a record for sacking a first grade coach 3 rounds into a season.

The next question, can they deliver and sign the right coach to fix the mess that is the Wests Tigers?

7. BrotherJim05

BrotherJim05 Juniors

Please please please sign Hasler. We don't need a coach that the players like, we need one that they respect. Hasler has won premierships, consistently taken teams to finals and turned plodders into genuine first graders. You know that Hasler will not put up with any of this big 4 bullshit. Either you subscribe to his game plan and his way of working or you will cop it hard.

If not Hasler then Cleary or Toovey. I like Toovey because you know he won't put up with any bullshit but Cleary already has a working relationship with the CEO and would be able to build a better culture here.

By all means bring back Payten but as assistant coach, not head coach

Ron's_Mate likes this.
  8. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Coach

I would definitely take Hasler, even basically forfeiting this year with an interim

Tiger Ted likes this.
  9. foreverinourshadow

foreverinourshadow First Grade

10. SweetandSoward

SweetandSoward Juniors

Whoever we get it doesn't matter
    Woods makes no impact. When has he shoved someone to the ground with his runs.
    Our halves are probably the worse halves in the comp.
    I rate Hodkinson and Lamb better.
    Hopefully with Cleary he can bring Segyaro and Soward.

11. Tigerm

Tigerm Juniors

GOLD

foreverinourshadow likes this.
  12. macnaz

macnaz First Grade

Cleary = 49 % coaching record
    Tod Payten = 0%
    Taylor = 44% coaching record
    Toovey = 60% coaching record.
    Do we really want or need another coach without the runs on the board or the one that clearly produced results ?

Tigerm, The Charlatan and Tiger Ted like this.
  13. Old Time Tiger

Old Time Tiger Juniors

OK, I have been one happy to promote an assistant coach, as a coach does have to gain some experience, hence Payten was a guy I was happy with.

Now, well Andrew Webster has certainly gained some experience.

2013 - Parramatta NYC coach,
    2014 - West Tigers NYC coach,
    2015 - Warriors Assistant NRL coach
    2016 - Warriors Assistant NRL coach.

14. Vic Mackey

Vic Mackey Coach

Obviously all heresay but I got a message off a mate this morning who used to be a trainer of our nsw cup team and is still in contact with people at the club.

He said we are going to go hard for Hasler, are prepared to have Webster there for the rest of the year. They want results and aren't prepared to go for another rookie coach. At this stage there isn't a Plan B.

To me it makes sense, I think if we were going to employ either Cleary or Payten it would pretty much be done already. Cleary is unemployed and Payten would jump at the chance, there wouldn't be a huge amount of negotiation needed.

Tigerm, Ron's_Mate and Tiger Ted like this.
  15. WT Unity

WT Unity Juniors

The truth is, it's going to take more than just a new coach. We are clearly the worst managed club in the competition. I think these excerpts including Girdler quoting Lang in an article by Paul Kent sum things up...

Another truth came from Ryan Girdler on Triple M Sunday, quoting his premiership winning coach John Lang: “Clubs win premierships, teams don’t.”

That is a reality the Tigers do not understand. In his two-and-a-bit seasons as head coach Taylor has had to deal with two chief executives, three football managers, a leaderless board, and not a lot of football intelligence inside those walls.

A new coach? Yep, great I'm all for it....but without some strong leadership from Board & Management level can we really be certain that much will change?

16. Clifferd

Clifferd First Grade

Hasler is exactly what we need and i'd even donate to the club to get him on board if i had to

Tiger Ted likes this.
  17. The Charlatan

The Charlatan First Grade

We need a proven coach who gets results.

If we employ another nuffy it's another 2/3 seasons of the same old shit.

18. Das Hassler

Das Hassler Juniors

Chasing Hasler....Hope that works out to be true...then there would be no rush to make any offer to the halves as he would atttact their replacements

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  19. WT Unity

WT Unity Juniors

I hope this hearsay is right...
    For once I would like to see the club target the person they want and simply make it happen....whatever the cost....whatever concessions have to be made....whatever conditions have to be given. We are at a crossroads and desperate times call for desperate measures...We have to approach this as a whatever it takes approach. Hasler or Bust I say!

macnaz and Tiger Ted like this.
  20. simmo05

simmo05 Juniors

Give that tight old prick highrise harry a call and tell him if you love the tigers as much as you advertise its time to stump up some cash. All the other clubs with rich supporters seem to do ok every year.

macnaz and Vic Mackey like this.