What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tim grog monster

cardinal

Juniors
WAYWARD Parramatta halfback Tim Smith's contract with the Eels may be terminated after allegations he drunkenly abused a man last Sunday.
Smith, who has been involved in a number of incidents involving alcohol, met with coach Michael Hagan and football manager Andrew Hill to discuss the incident.

Charles Brincat told the Daily Telegraph he was harassed by Smith in North Parramatta when with his son-in-law and grand-daughter.

He alleged Smith was drunk and that his pants were falling down when he was abusing his family.

Brincat told the newspaper: “He had been drinking ... he could barely stand on his own two feet.
”He was showing rude finger signs and saying ‘f' this and ‘f' that. It was terrible. I wanted to get in my car as quick as possible.''

Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald, at an NRL conference in the Hunter Valley, said he would look further into the issue over the coming days.

”It is disappointing,'' he said.

”He's had a couple of incidents in regards to alcohol.''

AAP
Share this article:
Font size: Increase font size Decrease font size Send this article: Print this article Email this article

Smartman

Juniors
Dont think he will be sacked, if it was a lesser player he definately would have been shown the door.

caylo

Bench
Again he got drunk and made a mistake, it isn't like he physically abused someone. I do this all the time when drunk, maybe not a children, and he should be mindful of that. Slap on the wrist, make him appologise and do some charity work. Maybe work with the person he offended, make the individual feel like it hasn't been taken lightly. Sacking is silly, players are going to get drunk, it is the off season. I'd prefer they drink now then during the season.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'll support whatever decision the club makes....providing the club investigates the matter thoroughly which no doubt they will.

caylo

Bench
i agree eela, i will support the club in any decision. Parramatta are not known for hasty decisions, and will rip up his contract if his actions were relay bad. I think a public apology, and like I said some sort of act of remorse (i.e Timmy should buy the kid a jersey, or season tickets). Turn the situation into a positive, get another fan to the games.

bartman

Immortal
Because Tim has some form with alcohol in terms of missing training, we don't know what clauses the club might have insisted on as part of any disciplining in the past.

Agree with Eela, as long as the club investigates the allegation in a proper and thorough manner, then I'd support any decision that may be brought down.

Looks like Hadley might have nailed his man this time?

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
I have supported him all along, I still think the guy is our long term halfback but you can only give someone so many chances. If it's proven that this definitely happened and he was completely in the wrong, he has to go. Would probably ruin our 2008 though, along with the Hayne/Inu distraction we're already dealing with. I'm just not looking forward to next season.

Is Hodkinson good enough? Because if Finch is wearing the 7 next year, we're done.

stuke

Bench
if he is found to have acted in this way after a proper investigation i would imagine he would then be placed on his last chance. i don't condone what he has done but, apart from swearing around children, it hasn't been reported that he has done much else.

the drinking is a part of his career that he does need to get under control. it could ruin a great career. maybe Parra should send him out for a week or two of 'real' work - labouring for a builder or such like and show him what he could be earning instead of the sweet deal that he is on now.

last chance for Tim - get off the grog!

fish eel

Immortal
bartman said:
Looks like Hadley might have nailed his man this time?

I wouldn't go that far yet Bart.

Seems all we have in addition to what Hadley broke is a players name, which I'm sure Hadley probably had but didnt want to use after being burnt previously.

If Tim was drunk thats a bit disappointing because he does have form and is just letting himself down, however on the basis of what I've read, i wouldnt say there is enough substance in the public domain to be saying someone has nailed their man and someone else is facing the sack.

Gronk

Staff member
I know one thing, this Charles Brincat guy seems to be keen to talk to any newspaper or TV crew that is half interested. I think he likes being in the spotlight.

bartman

Immortal
fish eel said:
I wouldn't go that far yet Bart.

Seems all we have in addition to what Hadley broke is a players name, which I'm sure Hadley probably had but didnt want to use after being burnt previously.

If Tim was drunk thats a bit disappointing because he does have form and is just letting himself down, however on the basis of what I've read, i wouldnt say there is enough substance in the public domain to be saying someone has nailed their man and someone else is facing the sack.
By nailed, I just meant Hadley might have got something on him this time, after being burnt before. There'd be some element of satisfaction at pursuing the previously pursued, if Hadley was aware of the alleged identity at the time.

I'm not calling for the sack for Tim, but if that is the conditions that the club put on Tim previously, then he'll only have himself to blame. Having a wild guess, it might end up with him demoted to PL for the first month, and then being on his last ever behavioural/alcohol life for the remainder of his time with us?

strider

Post Whore
well then - lets sack every knob who gets drunk at a pub and is abusive - should do wonders for them unemployment rate in this country! :roll:

yeah he shouldn't do it and needs a good kick in the arse - but sack him? i don't think so ..... most of his past "form" have been non-events made to be something by the frickin media - no way i'd hang him out to dry yet

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
that's strike 3 for Timmy

I can't see him staying after this indiscretion

Gronk

Staff member
Clubs don't sack players indiscretions like this unless they need room under the cap or see it as an chance to shed a player mid-contract who hasn't realized his potential.

If they sack Timmy then it's the club being opportunistic rather than taking a moral stance IMHO.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Gronk said:
Clubs don't sack players indiscretions like this unless they need room under the cap or see it as an chance to shed a player mid-contract who hasn't realized his potential.

If they sack Timmy then it's the club being opportunistic rather than taking a moral stance IMHO.

are you serious ?