What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Greenberg has got to go!

Are you happy with Greenberg's performance as CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • No

Votes: 86 85.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 9 8.9%

• Total voters

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In the current climate the chances of TV blackouts in the live city are somewhere between 0 and -100

Tiger5150

Bench
Sorry to break up a discussion of a 20yo SL war but back to whether Toddy has to go......

Based on the weak decision over selling the Titans back to the status quo, with less ideas, less money etc.....I think it is further evidence of Greenburgs lack of competence

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sorry to break up a discussion of a 20yo SL war but back to whether Toddy has to go......

Based on the weak decision over selling the Titans back to the status quo, with less ideas, less money etc.....I think it is further evidence of Greenburgs lack of competence

Not to mention a final failure in a long list of the strategic plan, making the 2017 RLWC the best ever. Chalk up the final nail in the 2012-2107 strategic plan!

Cant wait to see what low bars they set themselves for 2018-2022 plan so they dont look so incompetent!

taipan

Referee
Not to mention a final failure in a long list of the strategic plan, making the 2017 RLWC the best ever. Chalk up the final nail in the 2012-2107 strategic plan!

Cant wait to see what low bars they set themselves for 2018-2022 plan so they dont look so incompetent!

Do you ever stop whingeing? I was all for a Perth side ,but the more I read your constant gripes the less likely I'm for it.
It's easy to accentuate the negatives ,whilst avoiding any positives.And despite the bleatings there have been some positives.Any scrutiny must take in the good with the bad, not just one without the other.

carcharias

Immortal

What’s worse
Greenie
Or joe roots captaincy?

Spot On

Coach
It's easy to accentuate the negatives ,whilst avoiding any positives.And despite the bleatings there have been some positives.Any scrutiny must take in the good with the bad, not just one without the other.

Agreed. What are the positives again????

Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore

Improved
Womens rugby league
Increased funding to the pi’s and support for their test matches
Reconnecting with touch footy
Landing a massive 2018- tv deal
Improved stadia for some clubs
Improved funding for second tier comps

As against
Failed membership target
Failed crowd target
Failed participation target
Failed financial targets
Failed RLWC target
Failed fan engagement targets

You take your pick if you think the last 5 years have been a good outcome of independent ownership and massive revenue to play with.

Stallion

First Grade
Very pragmatic and true reflection of the NRLs performance in the past five years PR! Sad but true. Not many positives at all.

taipan

Referee

I am fully aware of all of the negatives,Paul Kent and PR and Rothfield keep reminding me ad nauseam.

Stadiums such as Parra being built,other two have been given go aheads, that is of course unless the protestors /greenies/latte sippers get in the way.
Money from Govt to Cof Es for some NRL clubs.
Memberships have risen year on year,Greenberg didn't set the figure at 400,000, that was Smiffy..
The digital platform centralised for all clubs is a far better set up, than the individual dogs' breakfasts of some of the clubs.
Knights and Titans finally sold, meaning no more money expended by the NRL into bottomlesss pits.Those clubs live or die,now by their efforts.
A dedicated weekend to reps including SOO.
More money now available for grassroots from 2018,the prior years was crappo.
Women's rugby league now getting importance and a comp being set up.Women's rugby league growing strongly year on year.
The scheduling from next year is a marked improvement form 2017,and more games being taken to the bush.There are of course the crap 6pm and Thursday nights.
The NRL have I understand put some guarantees in place, for the new Townsville Stadium.
The bunker this year time wise, was an improvement on 2016.
Extra money for other states for assistance on club infrastructure.
Negotiating a deal with the WA Govt for the double header in Perth,which has got the AFL there it's tits in a knot.
Now I am not a fan of Grant(the photo op man) but he is at least an internationalist, and Greenberg to me is a bit too smooth for my liking, but at least he of all the 3 rectangular codes' CEO s has got out there and fronted the State Govt on the stadium issues.The other 2 jellybacks Pullover and Mr Um and Agh have just sat back and whistled dixie.

I can find negatives with Santa Claus also, but at least the old gimp brings joy to kids.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
I might be a little hard to please but many of the listed achievements for mine are things that should happen even in a poorly run org like the NRL.

The emphasis on growing the women's game no doubt is a smart move and will have huge flow on effects in all areas of the game for years to come. Kudos to the NRL. The rest..... not so monumental imo.

Stallion

First Grade
Their exists some disturbing downward trends in junior male participation and the old excuses like "too many other things to do" don't cut it as other similar codes are experiencing growth in junior numbers. Its e pretty shoddy operation rugby league is at the moment and needs to pick up its game significantly.

carcharias

Immortal
Their exists some disturbing downward trends in junior male participation and the old excuses like "too many other things to do" don't cut it as other similar codes are experiencing growth in junior numbers. Its e pretty shoddy operation rugby league is at the moment and needs to pick up its game significantly.

Have you seen the size of the islander kids playing these days.
Big fat heaps of shit

Almost none of them progress any further.

Stallion

First Grade
Have you seen the size of the islander kids playing these days.
Big fat heaps of shit

Almost none of them progress any further.

Yes and meanwhile the Anglo-Saxon kids are only getting rugbyunion, AFL, soccer at most elite private schools. With rugbyleague not allowed! And the public and catholic school numbers for rugby league have been on a downward trend for decades. I do blame local junior and senior administrators to a large extent. Decisions like playing senior local league on Sundays has caused an anti social/cultural relevance to rugby league compared to codes that play mostly on the socially friendly Saturdays like rugby union. This has created a situation where adolescent kids are choosing the more appealing Saturday game playing code with the other code in rugby league getting the scraps. This has impacted on the social relevance and attractiveness of rugby league as a code whereby enjoyment and social relevance used to be a main factor. Now its not especially in the inner city areas of the city I live in.

carcharias

Immortal
Ive heard the Cronulla Sutherland area is at the pointy end for rugby league development abd this is good. Where I live rugby league is on the outer. It has a district rugby league club that has a great history but this club has elected to play mostly Sunday senior football over the past 3 to 4 decades and this has created the "in" football club in this district clearly being the local Rugby union club. And its been so probably a decade after the pro Sunday home game scheduling began from the early 1970s. The local RL administrators have basically alienated rugby league from the locals!

I think soccer has Sunday games as well here.
The old blokes I think pay Sunday

Screw that

Stallion

First Grade
I think soccer has Sunday games as well here.
The old blokes I think pay Sunday

Screw that

You bring up another valid point. Rugby league being the most physical , contact wise ,out of all football codes should be played on a Saturday. It makes sense for both injury recovery and from a Monday work commitment perspective. The other codes are nowhere near the level of contact found in rugby league. So from a player welfare and social relevance stanpoint Saturday senior local footy is a must.

Pedge1971

First Grade
And no body has ever been able to prove this generational hate past the first generation or the mass exodus to other sports apart from with anecdotes, which are useless as forms of evidence.

Why aren't Glebe or Annandale deaths great losses for the sport? Answer because basically nobody is alive that cared about them anymore and the Bears and Newtown are going the same way.

The Northern Suburbs of Sydney is completely soccer and afl since tge demise of the Bears. From North Sydney right up to the Pacific Hwy to Berowra the vast majority of kids have been turned off league. Thats a pretty big population right there lost to the game because the nrl no longer competes there.

It does have an impact albeit hard to quantify.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The Northern Suburbs of Sydney is completely soccer and afl since tge demise of the Bears. From North Sydney right up to the Pacific Hwy to Berowra the vast majority of kids have been turned off league. Thats a pretty big population right there lost to the game because the nrl no longer competes there.

I think killing half the comp and just expecting the fans to flock to old rivals was a huge mistake.

They should have removed one more team and given their place to the NSWRL City team; an old and storied team, but one that these fans dont instinctively hate. Like NSW Blues or the Roos, its a team these fans have united behind in the past and can do again.

city_origin_1980.jpg

Expecting old rivals to just swallow these areas was always dumb...

Stallion

First Grade

Well pointed out. Yet we continue to have these reckless denials that rugby league has not been negatively impacted? The game has been undeniably weakened in Australias largest city! This purely related to eliminating and changing longtime clubs , poor development work , poor ticket pricing and poor game scheduling times . Those combinations have a significant effect even on a code as resilient and as attractive as rugby-league.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Yes and meanwhile the Anglo-Saxon kids are only getting rugbyunion, AFL, soccer at most elite private schools. With rugbyleague not allowed! And the public and catholic school numbers for rugby league have been on a downward trend for decades. I do blame local junior and senior administrators to a large extent. Decisions like playing senior local league on Sundays has caused an anti social/cultural relevance to rugby league compared to codes that play mostly on the socially friendly Saturdays like rugby union. This has created a situation where adolescent kids are choosing the more appealing Saturday game playing code with the other code in rugby league getting the scraps. This has impacted on the social relevance and attractiveness of rugby league as a code whereby enjoyment and social relevance used to be a main factor. Now its not especially in the inner city areas of the city I live in.
Playing on s Sunday is a joke as you miss out supporting your in the pro league.

Latest posts