What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

Bench
I think that in order to retain our juniors they should be given the opportunity to press their claims for first grade.
I feel that our forwards have the right balance of experience and youth.
The backs, not settled. The club should have identified what players can make the transition to first grade. Both wing positions and at least one center is what I think are positions open for the juniors.
Maybe not next season but definitely for 2018.
We should be giving some game time off the bench this year.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Good halves are very hard to come by. I would like us to sign Sailor up until 2020 or 2021. I think he will be primed to play first grade by then. He could end up being a better talent than Widdop. As I have mentioned previously, in 3 or 4 years we could potentially have a backline of

1 Dufty/Field
2 Matherson Johns
3 Lomax
4 Marsters
5 Herbert/Garrick
6 Sailor/Field
7 Hunt

I haven't seen any or much of Garrick and Herbert, but the rest I have seen a little of and I think they could all become first graders in the future. Others on this site, believe that Herbert and Garrick could also become regular first graders. By 2020/21 we may have to choose between a 21 year old Sailor and a 31 year old Widdop, Sailor may be the better long term option by then? He may even be the better player by then?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I will also add that I won't be surprised to see Qld name Sailor 5/8 in their under 20's origin team next year. That in itself would be a very good reason to sign him up longer.

possm

Coach
I think that in order to retain our juniors they should be given the opportunity to press their claims for first grade.
I feel that our forwards have the right balance of experience and youth.
The backs, not settled. The club should have identified what players can make the transition to first grade. Both wing positions and at least one center is what I think are positions open for the juniors.
Maybe not next season but definitely for 2018.
We should be giving some game time off the bench this year.

In my opinion our young gun juniors should be selected for first grade on their form demonstrated in reserve grade. For example if Aitken is injured or not up to first grade standard because he has not full recovred from injury or he needs more work on his defence and/or passing game, it should be the form centre in reserve grade that takes his place. However, I would have no objection to say Mann being selected at right centre and the form reserve grade outside back being brought through on the left wing.

Last edited:

New Dragon

Juniors
In my opinion our youg gun juniors should be selected for first grade on their form demonstrated in reserve grade. For example if Aitken is injured or not up to first grade standard because he has not full recovred from injury or he needs more work on his defence and/or passing game, it should be the form centre in reserve grade that takes his place. However, I would have no objection to say Mann being selected at right centre and the form reserve grade outside back being brought through on the left wing.
Good post. Will be interesting to see the make up of teams with this new top 30 and development structure as some of these juniors like Herbert and Garrick are now too old for 20's so essentially aren't juniors anymore. Field etc also so its very likely that the 20's line up will be similar to last year with Sailor, Masters even Lomax playing 20's given the above mentioned only being able to play reggies. I guess if outside backs still eligible for 20's i.e. Johns, Masters, Lomax etc are picked for Reserve grade then Herbert and Garrick may not get a game. Both off contract 2018 as are some of the 20's and there is not room for all of them.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
I often see the statement "not ready for first grade" and often wonder on what basis it is made, particularly when the player in question hasn't been given an opportunity in first grade.

Sure, assess their maturity and performances, but if they are doing enough in lower grades to suggest they may have what it takes to step up why not test them off them off the bench in the right circumstances.

History has enough examples of 18 yr olds making an impact in first grade, the most recent being Cleary among others.

Not saying Sailor is a Cleary, but how do we know Sailor and others aren't ready for first grade ~~ they might surprise us....

BennyV

Referee
I often see the statement "not ready for first grade" and often wonder on what basis it is made, particularly when the player in question hasn't been given an opportunity in first grade.

Sure, assess their maturity and performances, but if they are doing enough in lower grades to suggest they may have what it takes to step up why not test them off them off the bench in the right circumstances.

History has enough examples of 18 yr olds making an impact in first grade, the most recent being Cleary among others.

Not saying Sailor is a Cleary, but how do we know Sailor and others aren't ready for first grade ~~ they might surprise us....
When you consider the step up/down between various grades, a player would have to be absolutely shining in NYC and playing above average in reserve grade if they want to be considered as ready for first grade. Jack Bird, Cotric, Turbo are examples, Lomax and Herbert are probably the ones you’d consider from our stocks yet to play first grade. Sailor was good in NYC without being spectacular (struggled to hold down a specific starting spot), hasn’t touched reserve grade. Has many other ahead of him at the moment.

Seoul Dragon

Juniors
When you consider the step up/down between various grades, a player would have to be absolutely shining in NYC and playing above average in reserve grade if they want to be considered as ready for first grade. Jack Bird, Cotric, Turbo are examples, Lomax and Herbert are probably the ones you’d consider from our stocks yet to play first grade. Sailor was good in NYC without being spectacular (struggled to hold down a specific starting spot), hasn’t touched reserve grade. Has many other ahead of him at the moment.

Thanks for the insight Benny V ~~ makes sense and got to admit I was just referencing Sailor generically as I haven't seen him play

One hopes our performance assessors and pathway team do a good job and we minimize the stuff that stifles and demotivates a player and sees them head to another club and become a first grade fixture .....Bird the case in point, at least from my outside looking in viewpoint.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
With the correct pathways we have a truck load of shining Young guns.contrary to Mrs drags opinion ,all we need is someone to put the Polish on our future stars .........:thinking:

Agree os.
We need a coach who get get the best out of them.
Imagine if someone like bellamy had our young guns..

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Good post. Will be interesting to see the make up of teams with this new top 30 and development structure as some of these juniors like Herbert and Garrick are now too old for 20's so essentially aren't juniors anymore. Field etc also so its very likely that the 20's line up will be similar to last year with Sailor, Masters even Lomax playing 20's given the above mentioned only being able to play reggies. I guess if outside backs still eligible for 20's i.e. Johns, Masters, Lomax etc are picked for Reserve grade then Herbert and Garrick may not get a game. Both off contract 2018 as are some of the 20's and there is not room for all of them.

New Dragon
They can all play in revs.
1 Field
2 Garrick
3 lomax
4 Herbert
5 Marsters
6 Sailor
7 Nicholls
We will have a very young revs grade
with hard older heads
like Nicholls/ Allgood and Latimore.
And young robson and ford
with kerr in the forwards.
It will be interesting to see how the young guns go.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
TBH Im not really sure if Bennett was that concerned re Hunt leaving....take your point re salary cap....huge slice gone hope it pays dividends in tbe short long term
Bennet loses great players often. They leave for big wages. I think hunt is an absolute competitor, never gives in. We all know he dropped a ball at a crucial time( how good was it seeing the broncos choke) but he is a bloody killer. St George will love Benny hunt. Mark my words...and hopefully redeem that gf loss with one for the true legends in the red V.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
TBH Im not really sure if Bennett was that concerned re Hunt leaving....take your point re salary cap....huge slice gone hope it pays dividends in tbe short long term
You have a look most clubs have a million dollar man or if they dont now soon they will have to pay their top guns 1 million or close I have a feeling HUNT is on something like 900000 newspapers have inflated his salary so my sources tell me .......:joy:

possm

Coach
You have a look most clubs have a million dollar man or if they dont now soon they will have to pay their top guns 1 million or close I have a feeling HUNT is on something like 900000 newspapers have inflated his salary so my sources tell me .......:joy:

I have a feeling Hunt is on 1.1m with 300k of that on a TPA.

possm

Coach
The club needs repairs from the top end. The flow down effect is looking grim. In all honesty I can't spot a rising star in our ranks.

Our new CEO should show he is not Doust version 2. Surely he can see the problems the team and Club are having with Mary as coach.

Latest posts