What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turnbull bans gambling ads before 8:30pm

Diesel

Referee
And in other news...

Nine Network confirms all rugby league games to begin after 8.30pm.
You can guarantee Origin will for sure.

Meanwhile at the next Nine boardroom meeting: f**k the next generation getting hooked on the game, let's cash in on gambling revenue and who cares if we bleed the current generation dry

simmo05

Bench
True but there is clear research evidence that the more socially acceptable and promoted something is the more people will do it. I think most people would agree that the fewer people gambling the better, the fewer people starting gambling the fewer problem gamblers, the less socially in your face gambling opportunities are the less normal it becomes. Smoking prevelance has shown all these things to be true.

When I grew up you could only bet in a betting shop, the windows had to be blocked out and there was no advertising. It seemed seedy and not something a decent person would do. I am sure that has had a lot to do with the fact I've placed about 5 bets in my life when I went to the track with some mates once. (That and I'm a Yorkshireman and hate giving my money away!)
True mate. I used to know plenty of people who stuck their whole pay through the pokies too! Just smacks of populism when the tories target sports betting, not the main gambling problem, pokies. But who cares anyway, nein will just get the games moved to different time slots!

ed-grimley

Bench
Youtube ads are easy fixed if you have a music subscription. Google Music has YouTube Red free. No Ads....
https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/3139566?hl=en-AU
"Note: Subscribers in eligible countries also get access to YouTube Red for no extra cost. Just make sure you're signed in to the same account on YouTube and Google Play."

Looking forward to pissing these ads off. For quite some time now, there has been WAY too many.
As I said above I eliminated all advertising on my computer - don't ask how - all I have to do is get rid of it on my phone.