What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universities + Defence WC Schedules are up on RLWC17 website

thorson1987

Coach
Mens Defence Force Series

MensDForce-Draw-Update.png

Womens Defence Force Series

WomensDForce-Draw_0.png

Universities

UWC-Draw-Update_0.png

Stallion

First Grade
Smallest student World Cup since 1986.

Going backwards. Well done RLIF.

You may mean "Well done rugby union!" on holding back the development of rugby league! Having virtually no scholastic base from which to grow the code of rugby league, it is a massive impediment to any football code and this is the reality rugby league faces in most countries. Rugby union has establishment backing and is doing its level best to make sure that rugby league is not seen as a realistic alternative to their "antiquated" code of rugby. Noticeably other codes are being given access to the private schools of the world and rugby league is still on the outer.

Australia is a good example whereby AFL is being accepted into many NSW and QLD private schools (last 5 or 6years)with rugby league still being not allowed to be played in such schools! This is even more concerning that the field dimensions for a rugby league game are very similar to a rugby union field so why shun a very popular football code in rugby league? The RU bigots are still getting their way! Rugby union's derision against rugby league runs so deep that they would rather see a code like AFL, that will go nowhere worldwide, weaken the Australian rugby league ranks and have their antiquated version of rugby move forward as a result of rugby league's demise.

But yes the RLIF needs to be better focused however when you have a big brother(RU) doing its "tricks" behind the scenes then it is a real struggle!

Or RL admin has done precisely f**k all to promote, develop and support student RL virtually everywhere it's played and in a whole lot of places where it should be but isn't.

adamkungl

Immortal
Ah I see we're in another 'sook about Union' mood.

Guess it's a no to anyone actually attending a game?

I'm hoping to make Cabramatta on Sunday

Stallion

First Grade
Ah I see we're in another 'sook about Union' mood.

Guess it's a no to anyone actually attending a game?

I'm hoping to make Cabramatta on Sunday

It's sad that a "mood" is all we can communicate when absolute bigotry with human rights issues at stake has prevailed toward the code of rugby league in so many ways in many countries over many years.

It's pretty hard to promote /develop a sport with a tendency for the scholastic system to not endorse the code? This "non endorsement" tendency comes from a very well structured and hegemonic like influence that RU administrators know only to much of but are loath to discuss or admit to within many scholastic systems.

Universities aren't private schools. There is plenty of scope for RL to grow in tertiary institutions. It just doesn't do much to make it happen. We've got a "world" cup at the moment at which some of the established RL nations aren't even represented, not to mention a number of other countries that has student RL.

adamkungl

Immortal
The no-show from France and NZ is a massive black mark.
You would think PNG and Lebanon should be there too.

Stallion

First Grade
Universities aren't private schools. There is plenty of scope for RL to grow in tertiary institutions. It just doesn't do much to make it happen. We've got a "world" cup at the moment at which some of the established RL nations aren't even represented, not to mention a number of other countries that has student RL.

Yes. agree and I played University rugby league and thoroughly enjoyed it at competition and representative level.

The Universities are seen to be more open about the code although their is a significant "flown on" from private school educated people to Universities that in itself makes rugby league a type of "outcast" code within the University itself.

I must admit guys that were only allowed to play RU in secondary schools were fascinated at rugby league and joined the rugby league and absolutely loved it. Remembering that this was probably out of interest and intrigue at something that they were not allowed to play.

What I'm suggesting that if rugby league had the same/equal access to all schooling you would find a very different dynamic at the University level. League would not be the "outcast".

Public schools endorse/allow sports out of shear popularity whereas most private schools are not doing this, particularly with rugby league.

NZ, France, PNG (surely), Lebanon, Serbia, Jamaica, South Africa, Greece and Russia are all countries with student RL comps, clubs or have played in recent world cups. All are absent from this tournament. Other nations would also have RL players who are also full time students.