What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universities + Defence WC Schedules are up on RLWC17 website

Pommy

Coach
Fiji d Great Britain (I think UK is more accurate) 40-20. One of the reasons these events are good is they aren't always dominated by the normal big three.

I haven't seen the he UK armed forces side named but I would be shocked if there wasn't a good number of Fijians in the side.
Army v Navy rugby union is a big event that sells out Twickenham and the standing joke is it's Navy vs Fiji.
Most Fijians I served with weren't bothered which code they played as long as the ball was the right shape.

Still a bit of a shocker an armed force of probably 150,000 against what I can only imagine is a pretty small number for Fiji.

Fiji has won the defence forces WC before and made the final last time. So not surprising in that regard. I don't know why they are so strong at this level though. Based on the UK squad list and photo there doesn't seem to be any Fijians in the side, though the RAF has most reps.

Australian teams absolutely dominating all three events on day one, alas. Makes the omission of NZ students all the more disappointing.

thorson1987

Coach
Aus Students 54 Pom Students 10.

Was considering going to Cabra on Sunday but will hold off and go watch all the finals at Penrith next week.

langpark

First Grade
Aus Students 54 Pom Students 10.

Was considering going to Cabra on Sunday but will hold off and go watch all the finals at Penrith next week.
I watched most of it, there was a great live stream of it online. Pretty decent standard, just far too many missed tackles from the Poms in the first half though, so the 30-0 deficit at the break made it impossible for them to bounce back.

thorson1987

Coach
I watched most of it, there was a great live stream of it online. Pretty decent standard, just far too many missed tackles from the Poms in the first half though, so the 30-0 deficit at the break made it impossible for them to bounce back.

Yeah I caught the last 10 - 15 minutes when i got home from work.

hutch

First Grade
So far no mention of these tournaments at all on the Sunday footy show. All they seem to be talking about is the "biggest game in the history of rugby league" (Andrew johns), "biggest game of the year", "most important game of their careers".....

hutch

First Grade
Does anybody know where the pacific islands students team are from?

As in, are they actually students studying in pacific island countries?

Almost certainly not.

Scotland 38 Ireland 24
England 22 Wales 4
Australia 62 Pacific Islands 16

One horse race.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
I went out to Windsor yesterday and caught 2 games:

Aus v PIs Students
Fiji v NZ Defence

In the first game the scoreline is a little misleading - the Islanders were right in the game for 50 mins. Australians speed and precision unfortunately got the better of them, and a few injuries in the 2nd half took the wind right of them and the Aussies ran away with it.

Second game was if anything more one-sided. Fiji had the Kiwis measure from the opening kick off. Ruthless power and speed. Very entertaining side. The Fijians trying to score on every play prevented a larger scoreline, they dropped it as often as they scored. Fiji play Australian on Wednesday then again on Sunday in the final. Both should be very entertaining games.

The crowd was very much friends and family with a few club locals by the looks of it.
Can't really blame the media for not talking up this event when the organisers have done less than zero to promote it.

Pommy

Coach
I went out to Windsor yesterday and caught 2 games:

Aus v PIs Students
Fiji v NZ Defence

In the first game the scoreline is a little misleading - the Islanders were right in the game for 50 mins. Australians speed and precision unfortunately got the better of them, and a few injuries in the 2nd half took the wind right of them and the Aussies ran away with it.

Second game was if anything more one-sided. Fiji had the Kiwis measure from the opening kick off. Ruthless power and speed. Very entertaining side. The Fijians trying to score on every play prevented a larger scoreline, they dropped it as often as they scored. Fiji play Australian on Wednesday then again on Sunday in the final. Both should be very entertaining games.

The crowd was very much friends and family with a few club locals by the looks of it.
Can't really blame the media for not talking up this event when the organisers have done less than zero to promote it.

I went to Cabramatta for the UK Aus game.
Crowd was mostly the women's ADF team Wags and a few locals who jumped the fence ha.

adamkungl

Immortal
Defence 3rd place playoff
UK 38 NZ 18

Should be a result from the Students semi final 1 shortly

Latest posts