What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Universities + Defence WC Schedules are up on RLWC17 website

flamin

Juniors
https://fijisun.com.fj/2017/07/18/champs-army-bears-set-the-pace/

Rear Admiral Naupoto says win will strengthen rugby league within military.

Republic of Fiji Military Forces Commander Rear Admiral Viliame Naupoto welcomed the RFMF Army Bears at the Nadi International Airport last night.

The side, on debut, won the Defence Rugby League World Cup in Australia at the weekend.

The Fijians stunned their Australian Defence Force (ADF) counterparts, at their own game, with a 44-12 thumping.

Rear-Admiral Viliame Naupoto said: “This is a great lead up to the 2017 Rugby League World Cup. I am glad that Fiji has one in the Defence Forces. But we are thankful for that since RFMF is more rugby union compared to rugby league.

army-5.jpg

Peniasi Vatuorooro of the Army Bears (RFMF), with family members at the Nadi International Airport on July 17, 2017.
Photo: Waisea Nasokia

“We had this invitation in the last minute from the host Australia and we are so thankful for them. And also for the ADF for looking after our team during the duration.

“This will strengthen rugby league within RFMF and we are glad for them to come back with the win. They have been loyal to themselves first and then to coach etc.”

The RFMF is the holder of the Defence RLWC and also the Defence Rugby World Cup as well.

“I hope this will boost to the Vodafone Fijian Bati team as they prepare to take part in the 2017 RLWC in October,” he said.

The side was laced with skipper and former Fiji Bati Sevanaia Koroi, Jone Soro alongside and seasoned campaigners Jone Saukuru, Akuila Senibici and Eparama Vulavou.

Coach Jese Koroibola said despite the obstacles they managed to stand up for each other.

“It was through our love for the game and support from the families and the RFMF as a whole. The Fijian community in Australia was in full support,” Koroibola said.

“Our next focus is the nines competition next season.”

The Partisan

Interesting comments from Australian Universities coach Aaron Zimmerle (Sourced from the RLWC2017 website) NB.Bolding by me.

"Zimmerle also called for Australia to use their status as champions for the greater international good moving forward.

“It’s all very well beating sides – as we should as Australia is a powerhouse of rugby league. But it would be good to use that (status) to help coaching and development in places like Ireland, like Wales, like the Pacific Islands between now and the next (Universities) World Cup. Otherwise, the other sides will be scrambling like they did this time”, Zimmerle concluded."

simmo05

Bench
Shhh, I think this shows more the weakness of league in the defence forces (or selections) than brillance of the Fijian side.
When i left the army in 02, league was just starting. There was alot of pushback from the officers, if all the uncouth OR's played league there would not be enough men and the officers would not be able to rugby

Latest posts