What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USA Bid for 2021 World Cup

PaulyTom

Juniors
If a tournament is going to be successful in the US for a sport that the majority of Americans don't know about it needs to have games in the East Coast. Theres a reason we have an East Coast bias, its where over 1/3 of the population lives and location of the major media corporations. Without NYC, Boston, Philly, and DC, you're not going to have a successful tournament. Throw in the Midwest (Chicago, Kansas City and St Louis) with with 65 million people, thats a sizeable population that would have much need to pay attention if their involved. And the only realistic time of year for them to host games are in late spring early summer, no fall football and no winter blizzards.
Which with the NRL and Super league running their comps in those times will mean it's next to no chance .

undertaker

Coach
Reading through those articles posted and the comments of others on this thread, here are my thoughts on the situation..

The USA 2021 RLWC bid is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Off the back of the success of the 2013 RLWC (which included the favourable media coverage, high tv ratings on BBC and public interest, especially in the semi-final double header at Wembley and final at Old Trafford), 99.9% likely the England 2021 bid will prevail, considering the 2021 tournament will be expanding to a 16 team, 31 game, 4x4 group format.

Realistically, assuming the RLWC alternates between hemispheres (2021 in NH, 2025 in SH, 2029 in NH etc.), 2029 is the earliest that I could see America hosting the RLWC. 99.9% likely UK gets 2021 and Australia/NZ gets the 2025 tournament. This gives America a bit more than a decade to grow, expand and establish the game over there at the grassroots level. At the moment, the so-called RL playing areas are predominantly on the East Coast. The reputation of RL in America is nowhere near big enough to be hosting international RL's marquee tournament in 5 years time, especially going head-to-head against the NFL/College Football/NBA/World Series Baseball/NHL at the time Jason Moore is suggesting. Hosting the RLWC at any other time of the year is not a possibility as the NRL/ESL won't budge. It's going to be a financial recipe for disaster for the RLIF, and could set international RL back many years like the 2000 RLWC did.

Regarding the grandiose ambitions to play matches at NFL stadiums, if Jason Moore had actually done his research, he'd realise that the smallest NFL venue (in Oakland) seats about 56k, which is larger than the largest venue (Suncorp) used in next year's RLWC (52.5k). Even for a marque match such as a semi-final, where does he think those 56k people in a non-RL area are going to come from outside of expats and fans of those competing nations? This is not the Rugby World Cup, where 89k turned up for an Ireland/Romania match at Wembley. Although international RU is far bigger than international RL with crowds attending theWorld Cup and the IRU has millions more dollars to throw around compared to the RLIF, since their first World Cup in 1987, it will still have taken the IRU 32 years to take their marquee event outside of RU-heartland/top tier rugby nation when the 2019 RWC is held in Japan. Even the ICC have not primarily hosted a Cricket World Cup outside of test playing nations since their first World Cup in 1975, and that trend will continue until at least 2023 when India hosts it and it still looks like continuing whilst the World T20 tournament also remains hosted by test playing nations.

Until 2029, more regular test matches in America involving the Tomahawks, more pre-season matches involving NRL or ESL sides played there, and smaller tournaments such as hosting a World 9's tournament are an absolute must as part of the process of growing the game there. It would be good if Tomahawks could make the Q/Fs again next year, but I don't have much hope in that happening given they are allocated in the same group as Fiji, and only one team can go through.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fwiw, it doesn't necessarily have to go Northern-Southern hemisphere. It's certainly not a rule.

It could go Aus, Eng, Other, repeat. Ie every 3rd taken away from heartland.

So, I don't necessarily agree that 2029 is the earliest, but I would want to see some proof of concept before accepting a bid. There isn't time for that now.

But given another 4 years, they could
-Build on the Americas Cup and USA v Canada
-Host more Hawks test matches vs wider opposition (invite France, Russia, Fiji for example). Would also help build their skill and rankings.
-Stage a 9s WC event
-Host WCC matches
-Stage an Australia v England test match

undertaker

Coach
Fwiw, it doesn't necessarily have to go Northern-Southern hemisphere. It's certainly not a rule.

It could go Aus, Eng, Other, repeat. Ie every 3rd taken away from heartland.

So, I don't necessarily agree that 2029 is the earliest, but I would want to see some proof of concept before accepting a bid. There isn't time for that now.

Although I agree that the alterating of World Cups between Northern and Southern Hemisphere is not an iron-clad rule, that's the trend the RLIF have been taking since re-instating the World Cup format in 2008 after they racked up a lot of debt from the 2000 tournament. I still predict that the RLIF will take the safe option of England hosting 2021 and Australia/NZ/any other potential Pacific nations hosting the 2025 tournament.

So with that said, 2029 would be the earliest that an American bid will be taken seriously by the RLIF. They definitely won't be ready in 5 years to host 2021 (if France - a country where international RL has been played in for decades - won't be considered, America have no chance) and even if the RLIF do go with another Northern Hemisphere nation in 2025, their bid is still an outsider.

Last edited:

deal.with.it

Juniors
Could do a lot worse than host the 2021 WC in the UK! And by that I mean actually play matches in Scotland (all their pool matches ala PNG). And then use Wales too, especially for all of their pool matches (opening at millenium as a double header if need be). Play another in Swansea and another in Wrexham.

So that's 2 pools.

And then host pool 3 around the heartlands and pool 4 in the south.

Yes the WC needs to make money, but it could be used to really cement the sport in scotland, wales and southern England.

emesssea

Juniors
Reading through those articles posted and the comments of others on this thread, here are my thoughts on the situation..

The USA 2021 RLWC bid is nothing more than a pipe dream.
It is a piper dream for the most part. Some more optimistic Americans will point to the 1994 World Cup, and what it did for soccer, but even without a pro league, soccer was still a visible sport in the US, just not taken seriously at the competitive level.

Right now the RL international community needs to be working to get a competitive North American league up and running and promoting the game at the grass roots level. And hopefully over time the game will grow enough for there to be an opportunity to host the world cup. One possible option would be to allow the East Coast to host some games in 2021, say all the teams play their opening round game as double headers in 4 cities (NY, Philly, DC, and Boston, with only Boston not having an MLS stadium) before they head to England to finish off the tournament.

But lets make one thing clear, if the US is ever ready to host the RLWC it will have to be in late spring/early summer. Theres no way around that due to weather concerns and the crowded fall sports schedule in the US. FOX about had a heart attack when after winning the rights to the 2022 world cup, FIFA moved it to the fall. If the NRL and Superleague are unwilling to budge on that time frame, then oh well. I'm sure Union will be willing to play the world cup then......

PaulyTom

Juniors
This guy should aim to do a 9s world cup .

Over 2 days at either Levi stadium in Santa Clara or the new L.A stadium when that gets built.

A 13 aside RLWC is at least 20 years away.

Perth Red

Post Whore
yep this is where a World nines comp could be really useful. Far less expensive to host and test the water in new areas. Make it an annual event and sell it to potential future host cities such as Dubai, Singapore Miami etc.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The Americas are better off building their domestic comps and the Americas cup and other local comps over the next decade or so before anything big is planned, they need to really set down deep roots and build from there.

I'm not saying no to any touring teams playing over there, but the WC is way to soon and even the Colonial cup may be a bridge to far yet. France and other nations that have been doing it longer and harder deserve a crack too at these tournaments.

Lets crawl before we try hurdling please.

PaulyTom

Juniors
yep this is where a World nines comp could be really useful. Far less expensive to host and test the water in new areas. Make it an annual event and sell it to potential future host cities such as Dubai, Singapore Miami etc.

Hong Kong 9s
San Francisco 9s
L.A 9s
Singapore 9s

I would do any of those. Could make it a 2 week tournament , LA first week , San Fran 2nd week or Hong Kong 1st week , Singapore 2nd week.

emesssea

Juniors

I don't get the concept of Nines, and how it will help the sport of rugby league (you know the one with 13 players and 40 minutes halves) in the US. Soccer didn't get big in the US by hosting a bunch of indoor soccer or 5 a side tournaments. It got big as aresult of the USSF and FIFA promoting the game at the grass roots level, convincing businessmen to start another attempt at the pro level, and brining the World Cup tot he US.

An LA 9s? Great people will see that in the same way as they view beach volley ball or sand soccer. A fun activity to watch with the kids while going about their normal weekend, and nothing more.

Pommy

Coach
Could do a lot worse than host the 2021 WC in the UK! And by that I mean actually play matches in Scotland (all their pool matches ala PNG). And then use Wales too, especially for all of their pool matches (opening at millenium as a double header if need be). Play another in Swansea and another in Wrexham.

So that's 2 pools.

And then host pool 3 around the heartlands and pool 4 in the south.

Yes the WC needs to make money, but it could be used to really cement the sport in scotland, wales and southern England.

Assuming Scotland is still part of the UK in 2021. Not sure RL in Swansea will be well received its proper toffball heartland down there. Wrexham should be an aim for sure though. They should try and get France to play group games at home much like NZ and PNG are doing next year.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Play a 2nd tier four nations in USA first.

USA, Canada, Fiji, Wales for example.

It'll be good football with no blow outs, and even marginal penetration in the north American TV market should get some revenue.

The skill set needed here is this TV negotiation.

siv

First Grade
One thing about these RLWCs is that they are trying to have matches everywhere

I think RLWC should be based more centrally

Eg

- Northern England
- Wales / London
- France / Spain
- Italy / Serbia
- Eastern Europe
- South Africa
- USA / Canada
- NZ
- PNG
- Fiji / Samoa / Tonga
- Queensland
- New South Wales
- Rest of Australia

A bit like the Commonwealth Games model

Perth Red

Post Whore
One thing about these RLWCs is that they are trying to have matches everywhere

I think RLWC should be based more centrally

Eg

- Northern England
- Wales / London
- France / Spain
- Italy / Serbia
- Eastern Europe
- South Africa
- USA / Canada
- NZ
- PNG
- Fiji / Samoa / Tonga
- Queensland
- New South Wales
- Rest of Australia

A bit like the Commonwealth Games model

Why?

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
The US has wheels for the simple reason that the general public and media don't (yet) have an ingrained union bias (thus ruling out South Africa and France).

You put on a Rugby league World Cup and anyone interested in rugby of any kind would probably go without blinking an eyelid. It is also a centralised location for the vast majority of league fans on the planet.

I reckon it is the most ideal location for a new host and you may as well start thinking about it, planning for it and prospecting sooner rather than later.

alien

Referee
I would definitely like to see a city in the U.S. host a Rugby League Nines World Cup over a weekend. They could have it in mid-late February in Los Angeles. The Rugby League Nines World Cup would replace the NRL Nines.

siv

First Grade

Allows the event to develop a event status

Plus allows fans to go to multiple games

Plus it allows better sharing of events
- Federations Cup
- RLWC

Where use the these two marque events to showcase the game to new markets

Just look at RUWC, SWC, Cricket WC or Olympics is used to grow their respect sports into new markets and then return every now and then to established markets

Of course I would like to see a Y20s RKWC and the return of the U18s World 9s

Cities like to host WC events it brings tourists