What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors to be sold?

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
My understanding is that there's been a chronic underfunding in some areas of the club & that the underfunding is something that is common knowledge amongst other clubs.

Talk of deliberately underspending on the salary cap though are wide of the mark.

Is Paul Davys the right guy for this club? I'm really not sure.

Didn't mean your story...meant the self-labelled entrepreneur's one
I can't work out whether his work in coaching grass roots clubs is in his favour or not.....I guess that it really can't hurt anyway. I just wish I knew a little more about him.

Watson might be shite and have no idea about league but to have an owner that is tempted to meddle with the on the paddock stuff would be club suicide. If that's not the case coaching a local team or two is not knowledge of the NRL.
Your second point is a worry too. Everything in that article screamed a warning imo. 7 things to know about the guy? The article told stuff-all that could give confidence & what it did say was amateur hour when it comes to the NRL. Passion is not enough.

Googled to find out more & nada of any consequence came up. Couldn't find anything by way of being in recruitment for the Broncos either - doesn't mean he wasn't there but at what level?
And does anyone know who from the clubs he coached went on to get NRL contracts? Is he claiming the kudos for what Peter Brown does?

Anyway, you're right, not enough known about the guy & in the article he comes across as a bit of a Scarramucci, got one job he knows but ends up talking like he's the president lol

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
And the NRL will be OK with that considering what happened with the Eels?

Hmmmmm

I've always got the impression the NRL hardly gives a shit how badly our club is run. It would be interesting to see what they'd do in a Titans/Knights scenario though, would they take over administration to keep the club afloat? Arguably we're a more strategically important club than either, lose the Warriors and the Sky TV revenue deal would halve in value and you're seriously jeopardising the code's ongoing future in NZ and the attendant talent stream.

Rich102

Staff member
Auckland businessman Paul Davys is offering around $15 million to buy the Warriors, but current owner Eric Watson wants at least $20 million.

And if the two parties can't come to an agreement by the end of the week, the deal could be dead in the water.

Davys has given Watson a deadline of Friday but a deal is still some way off, while Watson is also in discussions with at least two other parties keen on buying the club.

The Herald understands Davys is offering around $15 million to purchase the Penrose-based franchise, but Watson is holding out for closer to $20 million - and won't be rushed into selling.

As first reported by the Herald over the weekend, Watson has been in discussions with Davys over the last week as he looks to offload the struggling NRL club from his wide-ranging business portfolio.

Meanwhile, the swirling speculation around the future owner of the club is already having a negative impact on plans around player recruitment and sponsorship for next season.

It's unclear whether Davys would want Warriors coach Stephen Kearney to remain in his job and if a potential change in ownership will lead to a dramatic overhaul of the club's wider football staff and executive management team.

Prospective signings and player agents are rightfully seeking clarification on these matters and are in no hurry to commit to any deals while things remain unclear.

Last week the Warriors were on the verge of signing Kiwis captain Adam Blair but discussions have not progressed and the Brisbane Broncos front-rower is still considering his options.

Blair is a close friend of Kearney and their relationship is one of the major reasons the 31-year-old wants to come to Auckland.

With the Newcastle Knights and St George Illawarra Dragons also interested in signing the former Melbourne Storm and Wests Tigers enforcer, the Warriors urgently need clarity around the club's ownership or the deal could fall through.

Canterbury Bulldogs captain James Graham's manager has also made contact with the Warriors, and while the club is yet to begin formal talks with the former England skipper the current situation won't help the negotiation process.

The Warriors also face similar challenges in negotiating with existing sponsors and potential new backers, with some opting to hold off to see what unfolds.

Kearney says he hasn't considered how a change of ownership could affect his future and insists the matter is not a distraction ahead of Friday's clash against the Rabbitohs in Sydney.

"Absolutely not," said Kearney.

"That's not an issue for me. That's just a distraction away from my job. I haven't even thought about that, to be honest, because there hasn't been a change of ownership as yet.

"What I've got control over is that we have training today and we've got a game on Friday so that's all I am focused on."

Meanwhile, Davys has dismissed reports that former Warriors coach and disgraced former Parramatta head of football Daniel Anderson is connected to his bid to buy the club as "absolute rubbish".

Anderson was one of five key Eels officials deregistered by the NRL for their involvement in the salary cap scandal that engulfed the club last year.

The Herald understands the game's governing body would not approve any new ownership deal if Anderson was involved in the bid.

Davys' co-owns childcare company ChoiceKids with former Kiwis league international and player agent Peter Brown.

Davys has a background in league, having coached both the Howick Hornets and Te Atatu Roosters and previously worked in a recruitment capacity for the Brisbane Broncos.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11905491

Rich102

Staff member
Wonder how OGGIE will feel about that when, after the split, EW told him his 50% of the club was only worth $1M. Down from the $5M he put in.
One thing to learn about EW. If you hand over money you won't get it back. (Unless you get a lawer and go to court.)

Rich102

Staff member
Good old Monty. 15,000 fans at $1,000 each.
Then the fight starts.
The Warriors need an extra $5,000,000 for unforseen operating costs, so the 15,000 owners are asked for another $334. Some pay, some don't/ can't. Some want Monty in charge; some want Lowe.
What a nightmare.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Massive, massive red flag that this guy Davys is beating his chest publicly already about signing new players and changing the culture. Loves the look of his name in print, that's not the owner we need.

Plus one of his childcare centres just got shut down for lack of a license. Absolutely dire, they'd known since July they couldn't continue to operate without one.

No no no. Stick to kids that can't catch run or tackle, not our guys thanks Paul. I'd rather stick with Eric, all options considered.

Rich102

Staff member
An Auckland businessman reportedly bidding on the New Zealand Warriors has been caught up in a legal battle over a daycare centre he co-owns.

Paul Davys, a co-director of ChoiceKids Ormiston in South Auckland, is negotiating the purchase of the Kiwi NRL franchise off owner Eric Watson.

The Ministry of Education has shut down the daycare centre and is prosecuting it after it was found to be operating without a licence.

The sudden closure has come after repeated warnings from the Ministry regarding the centre's certification.

Former Kiwis international Peter Brown and Davys are co-directors of the business.

The Ministry of Education was made aware of the unlicenced early childhood education centre in late July.

"We immediately contacted the service provider to inform them that this was unlawful, required the service to cease operating and told them they must advise all parents of this."

Head of Sector Enablement and Support, Katrina Casey, told the Herald the preschool continued to operate despite the Ministry's "repeated requests'' to close down.

"This was unacceptable and we commenced a prosecution under the Education Act 1989,'' she said.

"We can confirm that the centre has now ceased operations.''

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11906795

Rich102

Staff member
I wonder if he was in any sort of position to fund the purchase of if this is all a massive publicity stunt.

Doyle has been very quiet lately.

Blair

Coach
I wonder if he was in any sort of position to fund the purchase of if this is all a massive publicity stunt.

Doyle has been very quiet lately.

Auckland white-shoe brigade? 'Tip him upside down and all that would fall out would be gold chains and sunglasses?'*

* (Bob Jones quote from 1980s).

Rich102

Staff member
OK. I'll pose a question.
Suppose Doyle has a group of people ready to buy.
He has offered Watson a sum - confidentially.
Watson says it's worth more.
Doyle says prove it. Show me a serious offer and I will better it. (Remember Doyle has seen the books)
So Watson is trying to get an offer that he can take back to Doyle.

I don't seriously believe the club is worth anything like $20M. I think Doyle is offering about half that.
Interesting times.

Iron Lion

Juniors
New Buyer has offered Eric the full $20m. Davys simply outbid. Lets see if Eric is real now with his intention to sell as he has done this in the past.

Rich102

Staff member
Auckland businessman Paul Davys has abandoned plans to buy the Warriors NRL club after his bid was rejected by current owner Eric Watson.

Davys confirmed he would not be following through with plans to buy the Penrose-based franchise blaming a "confusing process" as the reason why the deal fell through.

His offer of $15 million was last night knocked back by Watson, who was holding out seeking $20 million for the club he has owned in part since 2000.

Both parties signed a non-disclosure and confidentiality agreement and have been going through the due diligence process over the past fortnight.

Davys has expressed his frustration over the way negotiations were handled by Watson, saying he received mixed messages about whether his bid would be accepted.

"I have withdrawn my interest due to a confusing sale process," Davys said in a text message to the Herald.

"I was given every indication that my offer was accepted subject to me completing due diligence which is a normal process when an offer is accepted.

"This week, I find out that the sale is being handled more like a tender. I was advised this week that I needed to complete my due diligence then submit an offer for Eric to consider.

"This to me is back to front and time delaying.

"Regardless of whatever you read or hear, this is what has happened.

"Eric made it known to me last night that he was not happy with my offer which by the way was a good and fair offer that two weeks ago was accepted subject to due diligence which was to take place this week.

"From there my understanding was I needed to meet with the NRL which both Eric and [Warriors managing director] Jim [Doyle] had mentioned would not be an issue, I would meet with sponsors and give them confidence in the direction we had planned to take whilst also hearing their thoughts and basically agree on a date for the sale to go through.

"The fans are wanting to know what direction the club is taking and there is a lot of work to do in a short period of time to get the systems in place that I feel the club needs to be successful and with a sale process of uncertainty I feel it's best I move on and let everyone get on with life.

"To say I'm disappointed is an understatement considering my understanding of where we were at with negotiations and I genuinely believe in the difference I could have made to the club.

"I will make no further comment and wish the club all the best."

The Herald contacted Doyle for comment but he declined, saying all discussions around the club's potential sale remain private and confidential.

Watson remains in talks with several other interested buyers but confirmed in a statement last Friday that he was in no rush to offload the club.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11909403

Latest posts