What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wayne bennett's england

Pommy

Coach
I hope this is just all in the media and it's not the road Bennett is going down. Yes England might not be as strong as Australia but we're not a bad side.

DiegoNT

First Grade
So let me get this straight,it's OK for Australia to select Radradra but Ausssie fans would be up in arms if England chose either or both of the Morris twins?

Many aussie fans didn't like radrara getting picked for australia.

taipan

Referee
Thank heavens Bennett's idea has been kicked into touch.Just makes a joke of rugby league doing its best to become a truly international sport.

A hair brained scheme by happy Jack.:crazy:

adamkungl

Immortal
Wayne Bennett’s hopes of luring Brett and Josh Morris to play for England appear to be over with rugby league’s international body shutting down the move.

Bennett has reportedly shown an interest in having the Morris twins, as well as former NSW State of Origin team-mate Trent Hodkinson, switch their allegiances to England using the grandfather rule.

However the Rugby League International Federation says players cannot swap between Australia, New Zealand and England.

“Players from tier-one countries cannot move between each other,” RLIF official Tas Baitieri told News Corp. “They can only move upwards or downwards [between tier-one and tier-two nations].”

However Baitieri’s comments fly directly in the face of the eligibility rules posted on the organisation’s website, which states players can swap between nations once between World Cups, and makes no mention of tier-one and tier-two countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...shoots-down-english-plan-to-poach-australians

We are literally making up rules as we go now :lol:

Pommy

Coach
Thank heavens Bennett's idea has been kicked into touch.Just makes a joke of rugby league doing its best to become a truly international sport.

A hair brained scheme by happy Jack.:crazy:

First of all I don't want to see Aussie's playing for England but its no more making a joke than having Semi play for the Kangaroos.

roughyedspud

Coach
I understand that the morris twins would constitute a move between two tier one nations...but trent hodkinson has never played for australia so isn't actually switching...

But yeah they are making it up as they go along

good to see the Poles stepping up

LEEDS RHINOS HAVE HANDED A FIVE-YEAR CONTRACT TO 17-YEAR-OLD PROP MIKOLAJ OLEDZKI ON THE EVE OF HIS DEPARTURE ON ENGLAND ACADEMY'S TOUR TO AUSTRALIA.
Oledzki, who was born in Gdansk, Poland, only began playing rugby league four years ago and is in his first year with the Rhinos' academy but has impressed enough to earn a long-term deal.

Leeds head of youth development Simon Bell said: "Mikolaj has impressed everyone this season with his work ethic and determination to improve in every training session and game.

"If he continues to work hard and progress at the same rate, he certainly has a bright future in front of him."

imagesource.php

Oledzki in action for England Academy U18s

Oledzki, who is also a talented gymnast and represented Poland at diving for four years, said: "The first time I saw rugby league, I fell in love with the game and when I eventually persuaded my parents to let me play I knew it was the sport for me.

"I have only been playing for four years and things have moved very quickly this year, especially by training and playing with the under-19s and being around the first-team players as well. I am overwhelmed what I have achieved so far and hopefully I can keep building on that."

- See more at: http://www.rugby-league.com/superle...-five-year-deal-at-leeds#sthash.LogoxyMN.dpuf

yakstorm

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if Bennett is just playing mind games when it comes to the Morris twins.

The reality is for what reason would either move? Both are still regularly in the mix for Origin each year and there is nothing saying that they couldn't secure a Kangaroos jersey at the end of the year depending on injuries. Why would they close those opportunities for an England jersey?

Hodkinson is in a different scenario. He will never play for Australia and is unlikely to play for NSW again since moving to Newcastle.

adamkungl

Immortal
Hodkinson wouldn't make England either.
If he's the best half available England may as well not bother.

Burns

First Grade
Bennett thinking about Blake Austin for the 4N squad according to Rugby League Week. Lolz.