What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We need a 9.

grouch

First Grade
The solution is out there, we just need to be smart enough to find it.
5690368-3x2-340x227.jpg

"duhh.. the solution is... Jake Marketo?"

Uplifting

Juniors
Q
No disrespect but Quinlan is not a good footballer his service from dummy half is horrible we need a natural no.9 not a hand me down.
Quinlan is a talented footballer IMHO. Can pass, kick, and play what's in front of him. Can't break a tackle but can combine and go through a gap, and give that final pass / try assist. Handy person to have in your team.

Quinlan is too soft to play as hooker

His defence when trialled at fullback was poor.

Don't recall seeing him kick the footy either.

So these are the 2 areas of his game he would need to improve to be in the NRL 17. Given his size the only place I would play him is at five eight.

He has the speed and anticipation to back up and can draw and pass.

In essence if we are to be a force again, we cannot retain players with fundamental flaws.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Segeyaro. It's simple. If the club are in a position to sign him then they should do it immediately.
There is no-one else who can lift us in that position.

Sigurd

Juniors
Segeyaro. It's simple. If the club are in a position to sign him then they should do it immediately.
There is no-one else who can lift us in that position.
Wallace is hardly the best No.9 to ever wear jersey but Penrith got rid of Segeyaro to make way for him.

No use arguing anymore. Next year will probably be even worse. A halfback who the coach rated McCrone above, probably a hooker whose coach rates Cook above, a fullback who has no playmaking ability and a 5/8 and captain who can only run across the field and slip over or kick out on the full.

Even if every other player on the team is a superstar, with a spine like that it's going to be another bad year.

Reactions: Qdf

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Wallace is hardly the best No.9 to ever wear jersey but Penrith got rid of Segeyaro to make way for him.

No use arguing anymore. Next year will probably be even worse. A halfback who the coach rated McCrone above, probably a hooker whose coach rates Cook above, a fullback who has no playmaking ability and a 5/8 and captain who can only run across the field and slip over or kick out on the full.

Even if every other player on the team is a superstar, with a spine like that it's going to be another bad year.

Have you seen Wallace play this year? Honestly based on current form, i'd have him as the NSW hooker. He's playing unbelievably well.
They didn't release Seggy to keep Wallace, they released Seggy because he was being a dickhead and hanging with the wrong crowd. Gould doesn't have time for that shit and sacked him before it became a big issue. Sending him to England would have been the best thing for him at the time. But it's time for him to come back and have an impact again.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Mcinnes is average at best and Cook is rocks and diamonds, plus I don't think he's effective as an 80 minute hooker, we need all our best forwards on the bench next year i.e Leilua, Kerr, Sims, Masoe, Host etc. No room for another hooker.
Seggy is the one we want.

Reactions: Qdf

Sigurd

Juniors
Mcinnes is average at best and Cook is rocks and diamonds, plus I don't think he's effective as an 80 minute hooker, we need all our best forwards on the bench next year i.e Leilua, Kerr, Sims, Masoe, Host etc. No room for another hooker.
Seggy is the one we want.

Does he play 80min?

Bench
Round pegs for round holes, not square pegs for round holes, learn that Mary and select players accordingly

Sigurd

Juniors
Yes he does. in 2014 and 15 he was playing 80 minutes.
In that case I agree. But just in case there should be a place for Marketo on the bench. I know he isn't the best but if he can continue to improve as a makeshift hooker along with being a backrower, he is worth keeping.

I would still go for Farah on a 2 year deal with the Tigers paying the majority if his salary for next year. Give the cub 2 years to find a good, young, long-term hooker.

And BTW is there any indication Segeyaro wants to come back or whether he will be allowed a release?

SaintHarry

Juniors
Q

Quinlan is a talented footballer IMHO. Can pass, kick, and play what's in front of him. Can't break a tackle but can combine and go through a gap, and give that final pass / try assist. Handy person to have in your team.

Handy maybe... tell me something do you think if you put him dummy half he would be able to tackle consistently in the middle ? Last 20 min of the game prob made 30 plus tackles already.. my honest opinion would be he would get steam rolled everytime . Essentially cost us crucial games iv seen him have a good game but he isnt what we need sorry but we need abit more than "handy" not having a dig at you mate.

Uplifting

Juniors
Quinlan is too soft to play as hooker

His defence when trialled at fullback was poor.

Don't recall seeing him kick the footy either.

So these are the 2 areas of his game he would need to improve to be in the NRL 17. Given his size the only place I would play him is at five eight.

He has the speed and anticipation to back up and can draw and pass.

In essence if we are to be a force again, we cannot retain players with fundamental flaws.
I think Quinlans size makes his goal line defence vulnerable and he'd probably be targeted there if playing as hooker. But he is tough, I've seen him make one on one tackles as the last line of defence.

I'm not too sure about long kicks in general play but I saw him put in a nifty grubber in to the in goal area at full flight against the Tigers.

Probably never happen, but if we're looking at the current roster for hookers a can see the logic in considering him. But off course you'd have to consider guys like Coster poor Silivi.

Reece Robson is considered young for U20s so we might have to wait another season before thinking about 1st for him. Who knows, maybe 1,6,7 and 9 from the current U20's all might be playing 1st grade in the future.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I'm really interested and also scared to see who we end up with.
Benji CONFIRMED on NRL 360 the other night him and Mitch Rein were told they weren't wanted by the club next season, it came straight from his mouth.
So we are going to have a new 9 next year... It's just a matter of who it is.

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Ben Ikin says St George Illawarra Dragons to have lean years unless transfer market falls their way

AFTER sacking Benji Marshall and Mitch Rein the Dragons are looking down the barrel of some very lean years unless the transfer market flips their way, according to Ben Ikin.

The Dragons ended negotiations with both their halfback and their hooker in recent weeks, leaving both players in limbo despite the fact the joint venture club has no obvious Plan B.

If the 2017 season was to start tomorrow, untested 21-year-old Drew Hutchison would be lining up in their No.7 jersey and makeshift dummy half Jake Marketo would more than likely get the nod in the No.9 jersey.

It’s a frightening thought for St George Illawarra fans and at this late stage of the year, there’s no guarantee that things will get any better, with just about every quality halfback and hooker in the game under contract for next season.

We’ve seen in recent years how quickly things can move in the transfer market, so the Dragons aren’t without hope of pulling a rabbit out of the hat.

However, according to Ikin it should never have been allowed to get to this stage of desperation, leaving fans to contemplate buying for a membership next season while they pray for a Christmas miracle.

“I guess what they’re hoping for now is that the market does change, materially, before Christmas,” Ikin told the Fox Sports NRL Market Watch podcast this week.

“You talk about these players that are going to be off contract at the end of next season — those conversations are easily brought forward.

“Contracts are bought out. If a player wants to leave and one coach sees more value in a halfback than the halfback’s current coach, then who’s to say that they don’t just come in and agree to disagree and go our separate ways.

“That’s how quickly it can happen.

“I know we build these lists of halfbacks off contract or players in a particular position off contract next season but I’ve seen too often and I think Ash Taylor was one of them, Wayne Bennett released prior to his contract finishing at the Broncos to go and play at the Titans.

“We know how that worked out.”

The Titans could once again play a key part in knocking the player market dominoes for the 2017 season, with the Gold Coast club all of a sudden flush with talent in the halves.

Already there’s been speculation the Broncos will attempt to lure Taylor back to Red Hill to replace an out of form Ben Hunt but if the leading candidate for rookie of the year can’t be lured away from the Titans, there’s every chance either Tyrone Roberts or Kane Elgey will need to switch clubs to play regular first grade.

That could open the door for the Dragons to pounce but for now at least that seems a far off dream.

“They’re on the down and they’re financially constrained because the club’s in a bit of a financial hole,” Ikin said.

“They’ve got that debt that they’re carrying with the NRL.

“It’s not as though they’re going to be spending a stack of money on facilities — all that ancillary infrastructure that apparently whets the appetite these days of the modern player and his manager, so it could be a lean couple of years now.”

While the No.7 is arguably the Dragons’ biggest concern, they will also be keen to lock down a hooker as soon as possible, with speculation mounting that they are keen to bring in Rabbitohs rake Cameron McInnes.

McInnes is contracted to the Rabbitohs next season but Souths are understood to be leading the race for the signature of wantaway Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah, who has been frozen out of first grade.

If Farah leaves the Tigers as expected, that move is likely to set off another chain of events that it tipped to land McInnes at the Dragons and possibly Matt McIllwrick at the Tigers.

Still, plenty has to go right for St George Illawarra to be in a remotely decent position to improve on their 2016 campaign this year and Ikin said the fans had that well and truly figured out.

“I’ll tell you what gives you no confidence, that’s the sales program for membership and for corporate suites and boxes and sponsorship because Dragons fans have a really high rugby league IQ,” Ikin said.

“That’s why their expectations are so high. So they’d be able to see exactly what we’re seeing, that they’re a team going into the off-season with no first choice hooker or halfback.

“So all of a sudden you’re second guessing whether or not you want to put your hard earned in.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...y/news-story/ff8a4ab0bb5553974a223d1124821355

- Can someone please explain the bold text to Mr Doust?

Gm5

Juniors
Chuck Mathews in at 9, he doesn't set the world on fire but he's above average at most positions