What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 17

nick87

Coach
Not to piss on your parade, but you could have written almost exactly the same thing about the Raiders this time last year.

I hope for your sake it works out better, but these windows for success can be incredibly small

That's true but as i keep telling people, the thing that separates Wentz from the rest is that he wins pre-snap as much as he does post-snap. Wentz's ability to read a defense, and audible into the right play is as impressive as any other part of his game. That's the difference between him and guys like Carr IMO

shiznit

Coach
That's true but as i keep telling people, the thing that separates Wentz from the rest is that he wins pre-snap as much as he does post-snap. Wentz's ability to read a defense, and audible into the right play is as impressive as any other part of his game. That's the difference between him and guys like Carr IMO
Lmfao.... you got that one waaaaay wrong....

I can understand certain criticisms but that’s one thing you certainly can’t argue over Carr.

This isn’t a knock on Wentz.... but Carr was one of the most advanced pre-snap QB’s to come around in a long time.

That was one of the things he actually excelled at as a rookie... in fact that was the most promising thing about his rookie season.... pretty much the only thing most Raiders fans had to hang our hat on with the kid.

The guy has been watching tape recognising NFL coverages since he was 12yrs old... and that’s no joke.

There was actually a point in his first season... where i think people realised how good the kid was... when we were 0-10... up against the Chiefs late the the 4th quarter we were in the red zone... the kid recognised the blitz was coming and adjusted his protection and than at the line very late he recognised the safety was holding so he checked one of his receivers routes from and out route to a post route and I think he changed the slot receiver from a slant to an out breaking route.... the slot drew the safety wide and the receiver on the post route was wide open down the middle for winning TD.

there were no rookies doing that type of stuff at the line...

Carr has issues... I think his release is waaay to quick this season which I think is born out of not being healthy.... I think he’s gunshy and has lost confidence in his line.

But pre snap he’s always been really advanced.

shiznit

Coach
And i just want to emphasise that’s no knock on Wentz...

maybe he is more advanced than Carr pre-snap... but if he is that’s a really high bar....

nick87

Coach
Na i dont take it as a knock on Wentz, but that dude youre talking about, he wasnt here this year, Carr threw so many inexplicable picks, and when he wasn't doing that, he was checking down in outrageous situations or flat out throwing the ball away on 4th down. His pocket play this year was really bad. And not just his throwing, just his general pocket feel... you HOPE it's a result of his back injury, and i think there is a good chance it is, but he was a bad Qb this year/

he wasnt a pre snap qb in 2017, and if Wentz isnt in 2018, ill have the same concerns about him ive got no reason to doubt it right now.

nick87

Coach
Im not sure what i think of him at this stage.
He's got a lot to like but his inability to play in a muddy pocket and his decision making this year was bad! That said he had a pretty bad back injury and he could very easily bounce back in 2018

Gruden has his work cut out for him. Thought ive heard he's keen on bringing in Guneather and Morton which would be a really good staff if he can pull it off

Eelementary

Post Whore
Im not sure what i think of him at this stage.
He's got a lot to like but his inability to play in a muddy pocket and his decision making this year was bad! That said he had a pretty bad back injury and he could very easily bounce back in 2018

Gruden has his work cut out for him. Thought ive heard he's keen on bringing in Guneather and Morton which would be a really good staff if he can pull it off

I've always found him a bit over-rated - especially considering his salary.

His instincts and finesse on the ball are well below par, imo.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I thought Marv was done for in Cincinnati, seems he saved his ass with that week 17 win to get a 2 year extension ...... lolololololololooolol

Haffa

I'm still stunned Gruden is leaving ESPN. He must be getting well compensated and I guess the lure of Vegas is a big one.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I thought Marv was done for in Cincinnati, seems he saved his ass with that week 17 win to get a 2 year extension ...... lolololololololooolol

I can't believe it. Maybe hue will get fired and he can come back as oc. At least he had some ideas on working with dalton.

We also need to really get a off line going. I'm not totally down on this. You only have to remember that we were the browns before the browns went and outdid us in the futility stakes.

Valheru

Coach
I'm still stunned Gruden is leaving ESPN. He must be getting well compensated and I guess the lure of Vegas is a big one.

Apparently there is going to be an ownership stake as part of the deal... but we will see if that gets ratified.

beave

Coach
They could offer him the ownership deal to be post coaching contract if the ownership comittee have an issue with a current coach being a current ‘owner’.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I can't believe it. Maybe hue will get fired and he can come back as oc. At least he had some ideas on working with dalton.

We also need to really get a off line going. I'm not totally down on this. You only have to remember that we were the browns before the browns went and outdid us in the futility stakes.
There are college kids who would have no idea what you're talking about, that was a loooong time ago now.

kurt faulk

Coach

yeah, lewis made them respectable at least. but damn, it's been 15 years now. if it hasn't happened already it ain't gonna happen with him.

shiznit

Coach
Na i dont take it as a knock on Wentz, but that dude youre talking about, he wasnt here this year, Carr threw so many inexplicable picks, and when he wasn't doing that, he was checking down in outrageous situations or flat out throwing the ball away on 4th down. His pocket play this year was really bad. And not just his throwing, just his general pocket feel... you HOPE it's a result of his back injury, and i think there is a good chance it is, but he was a bad Qb this year/

he wasnt a pre snap qb in 2017, and if Wentz isnt in 2018, ill have the same concerns about him ive got no reason to doubt it right now.
Ohhh I can agree with that... but it’s not just the injury....

There was some issues with the OC this season... they let go of Musgrave and promoted Todd Downing... which i thought was a good move when they did it...

The issue was though as it turned out they didn’t really make Downing the OC... What ended up really happening was they went from Musgrave to Mike Tice and JDR.

Then there was our defence... he was always in positions where he had to drag us to wins off the back of his arm... he managed to carry us to 12-3 last season off the back of his arm... it just wasn’t sustainable this season.

I don’t want to make excuses for him.... because I think he has some serious work to do this offseason...

but I think the things that had him in the MVP conversation last season are still there... his arm strength, his arm talent, his ability in the clutch(he’s got the most 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL in the past 3 seasons), his leadership... are still there...

Which is probably the big reason why Gruden has come back... he’s been enamoured by Carr’s talent from the time he cane through his QB camp...

It sounds like he’s got the keys to the Carr now... hopefully the last mob didn’t wreck it.... :joy::joy:

shiznit

Coach
They could offer him the ownership deal to be post coaching contract if the ownership comittee have an issue with a current coach being a current ‘owner’.
Put it in as an incentive if they win the SB....

nick87

Coach
Ohhh I can agree with that... but it’s not just the injury....

There was some issues with the OC this season... they let go of Musgrave and promoted Todd Downing... which i thought was a good move when they did it...

The issue was though as it turned out they didn’t really make Downing the OC... What ended up really happening was they went from Musgrave to Mike Tice and JDR.

Then there was our defence... he was always in positions where he had to drag us to wins off the back of his arm... he managed to carry us to 12-3 last season off the back of his arm... it just wasn’t sustainable this season.

I don’t want to make excuses for him.... because I think he has some serious work to do this offseason...

but I think the things that had him in the MVP conversation last season are still there... his arm strength, his arm talent, his ability in the clutch(he’s got the most 4th quarter comebacks in the NFL in the past 3 seasons), his leadership... are still there...

Which is probably the big reason why Gruden has come back... he’s been enamoured by Carr’s talent from the time he cane through his QB camp...

It sounds like he’s got the keys to the Carr now... hopefully the last mob didn’t wreck it.... :joy::joy:

I think that’s a fair assessment
Carr-Gruden is going to a major interest point in 2018
You can’t doubt his talent or arm strength. I’m rooting for them, due to the Raiders connection I ALMOST became a raiders fan, were they not such a moribund and hopeless franchise when I got into the NFL I probably would have. So I kind of root for them