What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wellington launch NRL bid!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
You asked and answered your own question! The NRL clubs are the best vehicle we have for driving engagement and attachment to the NRL in new areas. no ones saying they should do it out of goodness of their heart, they should be well recompensed for it and benefit by engaging new members and corporates.

The NRL needs to have a strategy and control it, not the clubs.

Yes, I've agreed with that from the beginning.

Nothing I've said has been opposed to that, so how the hell do you get from "The NRL needs to have a strategy and control it, not the clubs." to each club needs to have restrictive and binding sister city arrangements, that'll almost certainly end on bad terms?

BTW, the quote below contradicts the quote above.

Affiliated states need plenty of support to grow the game and having an NRL club in a long term partnership promoting the game, working with jnr coaching clinics, helping with SG ball set ups, getting media exposure etc would make a heck of a difference.

As you say that you want the individual NRL clubs to partner with a citiy and be the ones "promoting the game, working with jnr coaching clinics, helping with SG ball set ups, getting media exposure etc" in that city as if it was their home town, not the NRL.

These are all things that the ARLC and/or the NRL should be organising, obviously to do some of those things (such as simply playing NRL games) they'll need to use the clubs and the players from time to time, but that doesn't mean that the clubs need to be the ones doing the deals or organising the events.

The clubs would simply be given an itinerary for the week, attend all the events on the itinerary that have been organised for them by the NRL/ARLC (including the game it's self) then they'd bugger off home. They don't need anymore input then that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We are in agreement, the NRL controls and pays for it, the clubs deliver it.

Where we differ is consistency of one club linking to a city or having random clubs turning up. My belief is that having a consistent relationship will drive memberships and more interest. Yours is that it will inevitably end and leave a bad taste.

If any NRL club committed to three games a year in perth for the next three years I would become a WA member of that club tomorrow. You don't get that level of fan buy in with random clubs coming along.

The Great Dane

First Grade
We are in agreement, the NRL controls and pays for it, the clubs deliver it.

Where we differ is consistency of one club linking to a city or having random clubs turning up. My belief is that having a consistent relationship will drive memberships and more interest. Yours is that it will inevitably end and leave a bad taste.

If any NRL club committed to three games a year in perth for the next three years I would become a WA member of that club tomorrow. You don't get that level of fan buy in with random clubs coming along.

If the NRL held three games with different teams competing every time and offered memberships/season passes that got you into every game, why wouldn't you be interested!?

As I've stated earlier, for the club that would have taken 3 home games to Perth and organised memberships for Perth there'd be less money to make, however there'd be less financial risk to the clubs involved and they'd still make a money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I probably would if it saved me money. But that doesn't get me emotionally attached to a club, calling me a fan of that club, getting me buying merch of that club, tuning in weekly to see how my club is performing etc etc. your model would work fine for existing fans of other NRL clubs living in other cities but if you want to generate new fans and get them emotionally invested in the game then you need to give them regular exposure to a club to call their own.

It is also why your point about commitment creates such a high risk, you want people to feel that club A is their club, if that club walks away after a couple of years then it is more emotionally felt. It's why there needs to be long term commitments, almost to the point it becomes a condition of the license.

For the price of one new club the NRL could more than adequately financially reward 5 clubs taking up a sister city arrangement, bringing in 5 new major population centres to the NRL. For the sydney clubs their fans can watch their team in their city up to 18 times a season. Losing 3 is not that big a hardship!

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
I probably would if it saved me money. But that doesn't get me emotionally attached to a club, calling me a fan of that club, getting me buying merch of that club, tuning in weekly to see how my club is performing etc etc.

That's exactly why we don't want to go down that path, because inevitably the club has to move on and if the fans are all emotionally attached to the club when they move on, then to them it's the equivalent of if our clubs relocated!

The same sense of abandonment, betrayal, frustration at the games governing body for allowing it to happen, etc. Though I've not experienced it myself when one of the AFL teams have left Canberra (because I wasn't interested in them in the first place) I've seen it happen time and time again (especially in children).

We just want people to take an interest in the sport, not to get to emotionally attached to any particular clubs.

your model would work fine for existing fans of other NRL clubs living in other cities but if you want to generate new fans and get them emotionally invested in the game then you need to give them regular exposure to a club to call their own.!

I agree, but that club should be a club that bares their cities name!

Up until the point that they either get their own team through expansion or relocation all we want to do is get people interested in the game and to a point where they may be ready to pick up a club of their own.

Besides nothing's stopping them from following a team, they don't need the club to be geographically connected to them to follow a club!
There're people all over the world following NRL teams with out having any prior connection to the club, hell long before their was even whispers of the possibility of a Canberran team I followed the club that took my eye, which happened to be the Bears for no other reason then I liked bears more then the other mascots of the time.

There's no reason why other people would not be included to do the same because of my idea.

It is also why your point about commitment creates such a high risk, you want people to feel that club A is their club, if that club walks away after a couple of years then it is more emotionally felt. It's why there needs to be long term commitments, almost to the point it becomes a condition of the license.

Nope, those are problems that your sister cities create.

My idea would see that the games are a promotion of the sport and the competition that is the NRL, marketed with primarily NRL branding and seen as a neutral location for both teams participating as much as is possible.

Also I'd look to have no clubs play more then once (or worst case scenario twice were there're no other options) in any target city every couple of years. For example over a three year period of three games each year Perth would get a schedule similar to this-

.Year 1 Rabbits v Manly, Dogs v Titans and Warriors v Knights.
.Year 2 Storm v Cows, Sharks v Eels and Raiders v Panthers.
.year 3 Broncos v Tigers, Roosters v Dragons and Warriors v Manly.

This'd create a situation where no team is seen as a "home" team in the target cities.

For the price of one new club the NRL could more than adequately financially reward 5 clubs taking up a sister city arrangement, bringing in 5 new major population centers to the NRL. For the Sydney clubs their fans can watch their team in their city up to 18 times a season. Losing 3 is not that big a hardship!

All of that can be achieved without sister city arrangements!

Also using my idea you could more easily involve the non Sydney clubs, where it'd be detrimental for them to lose 3 home games, losing 1 may be manageable. That'd create more flexibility when scheduling and also not make it look like the non Sydney clubs are getting special treatment by being partially or wholly exempt from giving up home games.

Last edited: