What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where would a second NZ team play?

The Daddy3

Juniors
Seeing lots of people in favour of the NRL admitting a second NZ team. But there seems to be a shortage of detail on any official bids. Is there genuine interest and more specifically where would they play and what would they be called?

Christchurch in the new Te Kaha Stadium is one option if so, would they be called Christchurch? Canterbury? Southern or South Island?

Would Wellington be a good place for an NRL team? Auckland has nearly 2 million people in the city which is more than enough for a second NRL team, how about that?

jim_57

Staff member
It’s probably between Christchurch/South Island and Wellington. Hopefully no silly ideas about trying to combine the 2.

Christchurch plays most or all of their games at Te Kaha, Wellington plays most or all of their games at Cake Tin. Either might take a game or 2 to other places around NZ like Dunedin, Napier, New Plymouth etc.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Christchurch has the stadium but not the population or corproates. Wellington has bigger population and more corporates but not the stadium. Take your pick.

Matua

Bench
Since V'Landy wants it in the south then Invercargill is clearly the front runner - they'll win every home game as Oz teams wont be able to handle the conditions.

Brian potter

Bench
It’s probably between Christchurch/South Island and Wellington. Hopefully no silly ideas about trying to combine the 2.
exactly. Can’t stand these 50-50 teams.
Christchurch plays most or all of their games at Te Kaha, Wellington plays most or all of their games at Cake Tin. Either might take a game or 2 to other places around NZ like Dunedin, Napier, New Plymouth etc.
play the majority of games at the 18k rugby league park and take maybe 2-3 big games to the new Te Kaha stadium like their season opening 1st home game and their warriors home game as well as a home game against the broncos or souths.

jim_57

Staff member
exactly. Can’t stand these 50-50 teams.

play the majority of games at the 18k rugby league park and take maybe 2-3 big games to the new Te Kaha stadium like their season opening 1st home game and their warriors home game as well as a home game against the broncos or souths.

I doubt they’d play at RL Park once the new stadium is open. I’d be guessing too but fair chance RL park might be downsized again once Te Kaha is opened to save on maintenance.

RL Park only has 8k undercover seats and what looks like very basic corporate facilities. Te Kaha will be 25/30k with a roof in a great location with assumedly far better corporate facilities and amenities. Perfect for an NRL team.

Brian potter

Bench
I doubt they’d play at RL Park once the new stadium is open. I’d be guessing too but fair chance RL park might be downsized again once Te Kaha is opened to save on maintenance.
if there’s a Christchurch based NRL team then maintenance cost shouldn’t really be a big issue.
RL Park only has 8k undercover seats and what looks like very basic corporate facilities. Te Kaha will be 25/30k with a roof in a great location with assumedly far better corporate facilities and amenities. Perfect for an NRL team.
I just worry about 10k crowds in such a stadium that may even drop below 10k if a Christchurch based NZ2 team are struggling near the bottom of the ladder.

jim_57

Staff member
Nz warriors says hello

The Warriors have always played the vast majority of their games in Auckland though.
if there’s a Christchurch based NRL team then maintenance cost shouldn’t really be a big issue.

I just worry about 10k crowds in such a stadium that may even drop below 10k if a Christchurch based NZ2 team are struggling near the bottom of the ladder.

If they do drop that low at Te Kaha they’d probably get even lower at RL Park with limited cover from the elements.

Brian potter

Bench
The Warriors have always played the vast majority of their games in Auckland though.

If they do drop that low at Te Kaha they’d probably get even lower at RL Park with limited cover from the elements.
fair point.

new Zealand weather can be pretty shocking.

Wb1234

Referee
I honestly think the covered aspect of Te Kaha is a big factor going for Christchurch, especially if the 6pm Friday (Sydney time)/8pm NZ timeslot needs filling by more NZ-hosted games.
Is it fully roofed ?

if it is is the roof retractable

Wb1234

Referee

Warriors have shown they have support all over nz

a team which shares Wellington and Christchurch would be popular as well

Latest posts