What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Jack Bird's best position?

What is Jack Bird's best position?

• Fullback

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Centre

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Five-eighth

Votes: 17 23.0%
  • Second row

Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Lock

Votes: 20 27.0%

• Total voters

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The simple answer is at the start of the season each clubs salary spend (including registered tpas) is published in the season guide.

Dont have to say what individual players are on. Just publish what each nrl club has registered in third party contracts

wibble

Bench
Not really. Several clubs have most of the advantages the Broncos are regularly accused of having, some to even greater degrees. The only one that really strikes true is the number of Friday night games Channel 9 gives them, and neither the Broncos nor their fans want that any way. The NRL really does need to control the draw, using that to get rid of Thursday and Monday games which are just stupid.

Yep, I'd argue the Bulldogs as well. But whether these clubs want advantages, have earned them, or actually get any advantage, people like Jason Taylor (with a club operating on a shoe string budget) have their careers judged against others with potentially many more advantages. So a bit of transparency would at least help fairer judgements to be made.

TPAs aren't real great all round. I would prefer the NRL to grant salary cap reductions for players that have been with a club for 5+ years to retain good players rather than use it as an extended war chest to target players other clubs have developed. I feel that would be a better reward for successful clubs that have put in the effort to develop players and that should be favoured over just buying from someone else.

It's hard to judge how great TPAs are, because the NRL, despite knowing, don't want anyone else to know.

I like the idea of reward for keeping players, but if one team gets a lot of cap dispensation for having three or four 10 year players, they'll just have more room to "poach" someone else's 5 year veteran.

Maybe the NRL could give increasing annual bonuses directly to all players who stay with a club for an extended period. Something like $100 000 for 5 years, and a $25 000 increase per extra year?

Rather than just extending the cap or TPAs, direct payments help eliminate rorting, and this system would require teams to really pay overs to take established players.

They tend to schedule the Cowboys against the Broncos for round 1 or 2 depending on other requests and where they finished the previous season but that's the same level of courtesy most clubs get and has become a Queensland tradition like the Good Friday match.

Yep, the other thread suggesting Canberra winter games at day, Cowboys away games while hot etc makes way too much sense for the NRL to consider. I guess the scheduling is largely dictated by TV, but now the FTA has all games (coming up) and Fox competes live for Nine's FTA audience, it might be time to re-examine why teams get certain schedules. Again, some transparency would be nice.

Knight76

Juniors
All these player concessions do is extend the amount all clubs can spend. All clubs!.

Those making a mockery of the salary cap will continue to do so via TPA's and thank the NRL for giving them a little extra they can spend within the cap.

Won't change anything.

Canard

Immortal
You know the Broncos are always going to get Leg ups both off and on the field. You just have to ignore it and still beat them.

The fact that they haven't won a preimership in a decade shows that many clubs can overcome these factors.

davi

Juniors
Sharks fans Jack Bird says he wasn't happy and wanted out. So stop whinging about Broncos poaching him.

He won a premiership with the Sharks and was on a winning team with a team that wanted to badly keep him. So yeah he had every good reason to want to leave. :rolleyes:

Seriously though players look for $$$, touches, getting along with the coach, winning sometimes can become a distant last. However some critics have accused the Sharks of double standards considering they originally poached Bird off from the Dragons.

"JACK Bird has told Wayne Bennett he is prepared to team with James Roberts in the centres and give the Broncos the most potent strike force in the NRL.

In a revelation that will further infuriate the Sharks, Brisbane’s new recruit Bird is happy to be a Broncos centre — the very position that contributed to his exit at Cronulla.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the contents of a meeting between Bennett and Bird that clinched one of the most exciting signings in Brisbane’s 29-year history.

The Sharks last week lashed Bird in a press release after the Broncos formally secured the NSW Origin utility from next season.

But tensions with the Sharks have been brewing for some time, with Bird communicating his frustration to Bennett over his tactical treatment at the premiers.

Bird’s grievance at Cronulla does not specifically relate to being posted in the centres, rather the way in which he is being used as part of coach Shane Flanagan’s tactical blueprint."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/791bd3535d5d94fd91ad5a3a4a7bd28e

Pedge1971

First Grade
Sharks fans Jack Bird says he wasn't happy and wanted out. So stop whinging about Broncos poaching him.

He won a premiership with the Sharks and was on a winning team with a team that wanted to badly keep him. So yeah he had every good reason to want to leave. :rolleyes:

Seriously though players look for $$$, touches, getting along with the coach, winning sometimes can become a distant last. However some critics have accused the Sharks of double standards considering they originally poached Bird off from the Dragons.

"JACK Bird has told Wayne Bennett he is prepared to team with James Roberts in the centres and give the Broncos the most potent strike force in the NRL.

In a revelation that will further infuriate the Sharks, Brisbane’s new recruit Bird is happy to be a Broncos centre — the very position that contributed to his exit at Cronulla.

The Courier-Mail can reveal the contents of a meeting between Bennett and Bird that clinched one of the most exciting signings in Brisbane’s 29-year history.

The Sharks last week lashed Bird in a press release after the Broncos formally secured the NSW Origin utility from next season.

But tensions with the Sharks have been brewing for some time, with Bird communicating his frustration to Bennett over his tactical treatment at the premiers.

Bird’s grievance at Cronulla does not specifically relate to being posted in the centres, rather the way in which he is being used as part of coach Shane Flanagan’s tactical blueprint."

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...s/news-story/791bd3535d5d94fd91ad5a3a4a7bd28e

Wow. A Courier Mail article blowing smoke up the Brisbane Broncos arse. There's something you don't see everyday....

Eion

First Grade

We'll stop whinging when your paid media stop pretending he went for anything else other than money.

Generalzod

Immortal
According the guy's on NRL360 Bennett told Bird that he'll be playing in the centres but it will be a different centre position to the one he is playing now, talk about bullshit...

txta2

Bench
Funny how the Courier Mail didn't mention he will be the highest paid centre in the comp by a mile. Would really make Bennett and the Boncos look foolish.
He is going to fullback me thinks with Darius moving to half. Pity Bird won't last out the back as shown this year

wibble

Bench
Hmm, so with this in mind:

$$$: Knights
Touches: Knights - we were giving him 5/8. Bennett is reportedly, giving him centre.
Getting along with coach: Brown cooks BBQ's for recruits!
Winning distant last: Knights.

But yet he ended up at Broncos!

That's the issue here.

Not that the Sharks couldn't retain Bird. We were always going to find it tough, as premiers always lose a player or two, he is up and coming and no doubt worth more than he was on, and we have a full back and 5/8 already. It was a hopeful long shot that we would keep him.

But Parramatta and the Knights had legitimate, high bids to make him a 5/8.

Without wishing to be disrespectful, neither team seams particularly "star studded".

But which team gets him? One of the few teams with more rep players than the Sharks?

And they won't play him at 5/8, apparently, but at centre (but a "special" centre position that gets more ball).

The "whinge" is that in a supposedly "even" competition, the struggling teams with poor rosters can't outbid a rep filled team, and the reason they can't is purely based on money, which is supposed to be a relatively even playing field.

I wish Bird good luck. I love him, and even at the Broncos I wish him good luck. He'll always be one of my favourites (all the legends that won us a maiden premiership will be my favourites until I die). I don't blame the Broncos for using the system to be better, and it is not their fault they are consistently strong.

I'm pretty confident the Sharks team will be fine next year.

But I feel sorry for the Knights, that our "fair system" actively disadvantages them.

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorRam0n

Juniors
the positive for the knights is that there's another 10 months before the next season starts and even though no one wants to accept it....plenty of player merry go round to go.

davi

Juniors
Hmm, so with this in mind:

$$$: Knights
Touches: Knights - we were giving him 5/8. Bennett is reportedly, giving him centre.
Getting along with coach: Brown cooks BBQ's for recruits!
Winning distant last: Knights.

But yet he ended up at Broncos!

<Cough> Hidden TPA <Cough>

Whats your point? Did he want to go to the Broncos for money or not? You actually contradicted yourself, you say on one hand that Bird didn't go for the reasons that I outlined because the Knights were offering those things, then you say at the end of the post he went for money. Which one is it going to be?

Latest posts