What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
13 minutes 7/10 - Based on a guy who attempted to kill Hitler in 1939. Found it an interesting bit of history. Good story about what was happening within Germany leading up to the war.
haven't seen it but have read a book on the final solution that dedicates an entire chapter to him. Plenty more to it then most know

vvvrulz

Coach
Sucker Punch 8/10 - Zach Snyder's last truly good film; completely original and unexpected genre-bender combining a psychological mind job, an escape movie and surrealistic sci-fi action. It's a miracle it all flows and hangs together. I would say poor promotions killed its release, I always thought it was yet another cheap LOTR knock-off exploding everywhere at the time.

vvvrulz

Coach
John Carter 7.5/10 - underrated, its literature heavily inspired Star Wars and an insane amount of work went into its CGI which is right up there with Avatar. The sets and creature effects are just outstanding, one arena scene makes the equivalent Attack of the Clones version look like a plastic joke.

It’s not perfect though, It doesn’t start well by blowing the Mars reveal in the opening scene, Kitsch is very good but not great and Lynn Collins doesn’t quite draw you in as the Disney princess in distress. The primary antagonist is more like a dumb kid handed a shovel.

Got panned by critics the same way they ‘decided’ The Lone Ranger will bomb, and didn’t catch the public eye due to poor unappealing advertising.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
John Carter 7.5/10 - underrated, its literature heavily inspired Star Wars and an insane amount of work went into its CGI which is right up there with Avatar. The sets and creature effects are just outstanding, one arena scene makes the equivalent Attack of the Clones version look like a plastic joke.

It’s not perfect though, It doesn’t start well by blowing the Mars reveal in the opening scene, Kitsch is very good but not great and Lynn Collins doesn’t quite draw you in as the Disney princess in distress. The primary antagonist is more like a dumb kid handed a shovel.

Got panned by critics the same way they ‘decided’ The Lone Ranger will bomb, and didn’t catch the public eye due to poor unappealing advertising.
It was the last movie I've seen at the cinema and the first ever in 3D.

It was that good I forget what it was all about!

vvvrulz

Coach
Green Room 7.5/10 - A standard slasher flick but dipped in cold realism which stands it above the rest. A good horror knows how to use gore sparingly. The surprising standout is Patrick Stewart, as dark a performance as you'll ever see in him.

vvvrulz

Coach
Baby Driver 7.5/10 - Easy way to spend an evening; essentially an action movie music-video with some truly terrific car chases, mostly practical sets apparently. The young lead carries it nicely, but it's all the kingpins around him that make it worthwhile. There's a quippy Kevin Spacey, a Michael Mann version of the underrated John Hamm and Jamie Foxx as an unhinged loose cannon. Great fun.

PJ

First Grade
The Salesman. Iranian? drama that was quite good, but a little slow.

A Ghost Story. My god what a boring waste of time, effort and money. I kept watching as I thought surely something must happen, but it doesn't. Worst movie I've seen in a long while.

vvvrulz

Coach
Spiderman Homecoming 5/10 - Starts off with a bang with Michael Keaton, and then quickly disappears down a long idiotic cartoon. Lazy, unfunny script aside, the biggest problem is that every side character is an annoying twit. Holland tries and isn't terrible, but there's no material for him as Tech-Spidey is forced to endlessly quip while making one daft move after another. Incongruous appearances from the other Avengers don't help either.

Only half decent action scenes and anything with Keaton saves it.

Life's Good

Coach
Wheelman 7/10. A really tense drama set mainly in a car. An ex con is the ‘Wheelman’ for a bank robbery. He is given instructions by anonymous phone callers who are the ones ‘setting’ up the job. Double crossed with wrong information given along the way makes for a good storyline as he tries to work out who is who and keep from getting killed.
Really enjoyed it.

Dogs Of War

Coach
1922 - 5/10 Heard good things about this. Based on a Stephen King story. I found it quite slow paced, and obvious where it was going. I wouldn't watch it again.

Ferris Buellers day off 9/10 - Still as much fun as ever.

The Royal Tenenbaums - 7/10 Quite different. Really enjoyed this movie. Though I still think that Bill Murray was wasted in his role, he would have made a better Royal Tenenbaum than Gene Hackman who still does a stellar job of playign that part.

Watched Edge of Tomorrow again.

Really had a great time. Tom Cruise is fantastic as is Emily Blunt. Fun. Action packed. A heart breaking moment of melancholic tragedy conveyed perfectly by Cruise. The final shot gets me every time.

He did this and Oblivion. Two great sci fi films.

Remember The Titans is a good film. It goes well with Kurt Russell's The Miracle.

In a similar vein, The Replacements with Keanu and Gene Hackman, and Wild Cats with Goldie Hawn.

And Any Given Sunday.

Wizardman

First Grade
I saw "Better Watch Out" at the cinema tonight. I absolutely love going to a movie where you have absolutely no expectations ( I thought it was going to be a turd of a movie) and the movie turns out great.

Well, it comes 2nd to "Get Out" as my favourite movie of the year. Absolutely outstanding and never boring. Check it out before it disappears from the cinemas.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wheelman 7/10. A really tense drama set mainly in a car. An ex con is the ‘Wheelman’ for a bank robbery. He is given instructions by anonymous phone callers who are the ones ‘setting’ up the job. Double crossed with wrong information given along the way makes for a good storyline as he tries to work out who is who and keep from getting killed.
Really enjoyed it.

Yeah really liked it. Loved Frank Grillo is Kingdom and thought he was awesome in this.

Latest posts