What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Speed. Not watched this for quite a while, still holds up as a great action movie with great performances and no down time. 9/10

Hopper was an Ace as an actor, though.

Speed is a nice fun action film with a better than half decent cast besides Keanu - Hopper, Bullock, Daniels, even Morton.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Caught this the other day too, it's a timeless action movie - the 90s were great for that.

Never understood why there's a hatred floating around for Speed esp on the internet.

If I had to guess, it is merely a part of Keanu bashing.

But personally I really liked Point Break, and don't mind Speed, despite Keanu starring.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Close Encounters of the Third Kind- what a classic. Compare Spielberg's early career to the mediocre films he makes these days.

Yes most definitely one of Spielberg's finest works. I didn't like the way he tinkered with it though and bought out the special edition which shows inside the alien craft after Roy enters the ship and if I remember rightly it omitted Roy's melt down in the middle of the movie, especially the scene where he starts chucking the rubbish inside the house to build Devils Tower,to me the original theatrical version is the superior version.
There is actually 3 versions of the film floating around, the original theatrical version, the special edition and the directors cut, the directors cut is actually very close the original theatrical release and the one I have on DVD.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Yes most definitely one of Spielberg's finest works. I didn't like the way he tinkered with it though and bought out the special edition which shows inside the alien craft after Roy enters the ship and if I remember rightly it omitted Roy's melt down in the middle of the movie,
Watching an interview with Spielberg on youtube he said he never wanted to show inside the ship but the studio wouldn't let him 'fix' other parts of the film for re-release unless he gave them that. I've seen the added scene and it's well done but unnecessary. Also, Richard Dreyfuss noticeably aged by 5 years just from walking on board ha.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
"How to be a Latin Lover",

quite an amusing comedy, Salma Hayek looks more gorgeous than ever.

I didn't recognise the male lead, but the support cast is all A-List:

Rob Lowe, Kristen Bell, Robert Corddry (love this guy - the Rock's partner in Ballers), Michael Cera, Racquel Welch, Rob Riggle and more.

If you're looking for a typical comedy that actually delivers more than a few laughs, this isn't a bad choice. Not the funniest film you'll watch this year, but better than Hollywood's average of late.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
Yes most definitely one of Spielberg's finest works. I didn't like the way he tinkered with it though and bought out the special edition which shows inside the alien craft after Roy enters the ship and if I remember rightly it omitted Roy's melt down in the middle of the movie, especially the scene where he starts chucking the rubbish inside the house to build Devils Tower,to me the original theatrical version is the superior version.
There is actually 3 versions of the film floating around, the original theatrical version, the special edition and the directors cut, the directors cut is actually very close the original theatrical release and the one I have on DVD.
171515_large.jpg

Has all three versions:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Close-Encounters-of-the-Third-Kind-4K-Blu-ray/171515/

Sony's UHD release of Close Encounters of the Third Kind brings home audiences closer than ever to the movie. The film -- all three cuts thereof (Theatrical, Special, Director's) -- receive the 2160p/HDR treatment for this release, all included on the same UHD disc. The presentation is unsurprisingly excellent, similar to another classic Spielberg film to recently release on the 4K format,

Smack

Coach
What an actor to play the Great Freddie Mercury (Art Malik), Originally it was going to be Sasha Baron Cohen playing the lead character but had a following out with the band members of Queen

Cohen would've been a bad choice. Malik is a fantastic casting option in IMO

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Recently watched one of the The Purge movies, Election Day

Interesting.
Not sure I'd recommend it though....

I actually like the purge films for the development they do from the initial premise of political legality.

There's a lot more going on in these films than dystopian films like "Escape from New York", the classic "The Warriors" (which I think the last 2 Purge films are comparable to) or horror zombie films (which the first and possibly the second are comparable to). While looking like a dumb horror or action movie, there are political and sociological issues explored in these films.

Apparently there is a prequel to be released soon which will focus on how the Purge was brought about by the forefathers. I am looking forward to it.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
I actually like the purge films for the development they do from the initial premise of political legality.

There's a lot more going on in these films than dystopian films like "Escape from New York", the classic "The Warriors" (which I think the last 2 Purge films are comparable to) or horror zombie films (which the first and possibly the second are comparable to). While looking like a dumb horror or action movie, there are political and sociological issues explored in these films.

Apparently there is a prequel to be released soon which will focus on how the Purge was brought about by the forefathers. I am looking forward to it.

I thought the first one was a bit ordinary. It had good parts but the characters kept making the most stupid fcking choices ever. I get that’s a horror thing but this went well beyond belief.

The second one however I thought was much better. Having different story lines going made it more entertaining as opposed to just being in the house.

Haven’t watched The Election one yet, will get to it though.

Latest posts