What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
"I apologise unreservedly...." is an opening to a sentence where the speaker has been advised to use this phrase to make themselves sound really sorry for their actions.

In reality, it translates to "I don't give a f**k...."

In terms of NRL broadcasting, the absolute worst is when Gus Gould refers to someone as "an ungainly thing". It is such a stupid phrase that he uses as a generic term to describe anyone who is hard to tackle, usually because of his perception of their body shape or long arms/legs. Shut the f**k up Phil.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
A couple from so called economists (read as bean counters or accountants).

Basis points - what Einstein came up with the idea to multiply a percentage by 100 to compensate for the mathematical inadequacies of investors who have no concept of anything but whole numbers?

Comparison rate - I've had three mortgages and numerous personal loans. What numbskull wouldn't factor in associated loan costs when borrowing and totally rely on the raw interest rate? Another invented term for the mental dipshits of this world.

Knightmare

Coach
Thought of some others:

Aussies who say "You do the math" or make a statement and then say "period" as opposed to "full stop". You're not American, stop talking like you are. Or at the very least, just go over there and talk to the people who use words like 'bae' and 'woke' a lot...

People who, like, say the word like, in, like, every sentence...

People who preface general observations with "I'm not racist, but....". Seriously- have you ever met somebody who said "I'm a f**king racist prick and I think that....". Pointing out that the majority of cab drivers in Australia are Indian or Pakistani isn't racist. Noting that suburbs like Chatswood, Eastwood, Epping and Sunnybank are majorly populated by Chinese and Koreans isn't racist. Getting a sinking feeling when you call customer service and the person on the other end has an accent that makes them tricky to understand isn't racist, either.

People (like my parents when I was growing up) who would call a fart "Making a smell". How hoity toity can you get? I might have made a smell- people make a lot of smells- the smell of BO, the smell of their aftershave or perfume, the smell of their breath after they eat curry or stuff with lots of garlic in it. Did I pass gas? Did I rip one off? Now we're getting somewhere...

And last but not least- not a language one as such, but people who upwards inflect their voice at the end of every sentence? So they're, like, making, like, a statement, but the way they talk is like they're asking you a question? It seems to be especially popular with, like, hipsters? Maybe it's a side effect of being woke?

Last edited:
Thought of some others:

Aussies who say "You do the math" or make a statement and then say "period" as opposed to "full stop". You're not American, stop talking like you are. Or at the very least, just go over there and talk to the people who use words like 'bae' and 'woke' a lot...

People who, like, say the word like, in, like, every sentence...

People who preface general observations with "I'm not racist, but....". Seriously- have you ever met somebody who said "I'm a f**king racist prick and I think that....". Pointing out that the majority of cab drivers in Australia are Indian or Pakistani isn't racist. Noting that suburbs like Chatswood, Eastwood, Epping and Sunnybank are majorly populated by Chinese and Koreans isn't racist. Getting a sinking feeling when you call customer service and the person on the other end has an accent that makes them tricky to understand isn't racist, either.

People (like my parents when I was growing up) who would call a fart "Making a smell". How hoity toity can you get? I might have made a smell- people make a lot of smells- the smell of BO, the smell of their aftershave or perfume, the smell of their breath after they eat curry or stuff with lots of garlic in it. Did I pass gas? Did I rip one off? Now we're getting somewhere...

And last but not least- not a language one as such, but people who upwards inflect their voice at the end of every sentence? So they're, like, making, like, a statement, but the way they talk is like they're asking you a question? It seems to be especially popular with, like, hipsters? Maybe it's a side effect of being woke?

Agree with everything but the "make the smell". Hahah. That's an odd one, never came across that.

The rising inflection is highly annoying. I hear it mainly in American podcasts. I usually end up turning it off.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Agree with everything but the "make the smell". Hahah. That's an odd one, never came across that.

The rising inflection is highly annoying. I hear it mainly in American podcasts. I usually end up turning it off.
When I read this, the first thing I thought of was the Scottish and their lilting vocal delivery.

Latest posts