What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is it too hot to play?

In extreme heat, should games be delayed until after sunset?

• Yes

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

Eelementary

Post Whore
Imo, heat above 35 degrees warrants regular stops in play for the players to rehydrate.

This is a very physical sport, and I can't imagine how it would be to play in 40 degree heat.

But then again, my team has been embarrassed two consecutive weeks and the heat was a factor, so maybe that's why I have that opinion...

But I definitely think player welfare (and fans' welfare, for that matter) should be an important consideration.

justdave

Juniors
Imo, heat above 35 degrees warrants regular stops in play for the players to rehydrate.
E
This is a very physical sport, and I can't imagine how it would be to play in 40 degree heat.

But then again, my team has been embarrassed two consecutive weeks and the heat was a factor, so maybe that's why I have that opinion...

But I definitely think player welfare (and fans' welfare, for that matter) should be an important consideration.

To be fair, Manly provided that

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
There is a system, it's called the heat policy and it's not reliant solely on whatever the weather site says the temperature is. There are a bunch of other factors around humidity, dew point etc that come into play and yesterday, despite appearance, obviously didn't exceed them enough.

As some Queenslander's have pointed out, the lack of humidity would've been key. The fact Brookie's also quite close to the sea probably helped too.
Due to the wind being out of the western quadrant, any moisture from the maritime air was non existent.

In those sorts of conditions, it doesn't matter if your 50 kilometres from the ocean or 50 metres.

At the start of yesterday's game, the temperature at Brookie was over 38 deg C. At the same time at Penrith it was 38.1 deg C.

You could have played the game at Manly Beach or Panthers Stadium - identical conditions.

beave

Coach
Due to the wind being out of the western quadrant, any moisture from the maritime air was non existent.

In those sorts of conditions, it doesn't matter if your 50 kilometres from the ocean or 50 metres.

At the start of yesterday's game, the temperature at Brookie was over 38 deg C. At the same time at Penrith it was 38.1 deg C.

You could have played the game at Manly Beach or Panthers Stadium - identical conditions.

giphy.gif

Timbo

Staff member
The other thing is, it's all very well and good to have this theoretical argument on Monday morning, but if enough games are played in conditions like this with no breaks eventually a player will go down with heatstroke. Why take the risk?

GongPanther

Referee

The kick off at Penrith 5:30 pm,it was 35". The reason why there were no drinks breaks was because the relative humidity was a lowish 27%. So extra drink breaks were not needed.

Iafeta

Referee
Bordering on complete and utter negligence that there weren’t water breaks. Particularly after the Ottio death and the desperate situation poor Lloyd Perrett got into in the preseason. The NRL again makes rubbish decisions with very low weighting on the health and well being of the players.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
They shouldn't have played in that heat yesterday,Manly would have thrashed the Eels in cooler weather as well cos Parra are useless so not using that as an excuse it's just plain dumb to play in that heat.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
People comparing this to players playing in the cold and saying they’re soft are off the mark. Cold is easy to deal with as a: the body generates heat as you exert effort, and b: it’s easy to chuck on some extra thermal layers to keep warm. Compare that to playing in the heat, optimum temperature for playing footy is probably around 15 degrees, and there’s really nothing you can do apart from rehydration to combat it as the temperature rises above that. Above 35 dehydration and heat stroke are very real risks.
There a reason football is traditionally a winter sport, even in it’s country of origin where the weather is much cooler.