What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When is it too hot to play?

In extreme heat, should games be delayed until after sunset?

• Yes

Votes: 19 63.3%
  • No

Votes: 11 36.7%

• Total voters

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I work on outdoor sites in northern aus and have never knocked off for heat. Seen plenty go down though. Karratha was the worst

Yeah I think it’s just a reality that you’ve got to keep working up there given the number of hot days you get. But down here where people aren’t as acclimatised to it I reckon it’s better to just lose the half a dozen or so shifts a year in productivity it costs, companies can afford it.

Shorty

Staff member
No where near as bad as the insufferable humidity here in Brisbane or in Townsville.

For example it is currently 36 in Sydney, but with 17% humidity, it feels more like 33. Dew point is 7c, which is quite pleasant.

I remember for some Broncos home games in March the feels like temp has been 38-42, with dew points of 24-26.

Read about dew point here:
http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog...hered-its-not-the-humidity-its-the-dew-point/
Yeah higher humidity would be worse as more fluid loss I assume.
Plus the Aus Open earlier this year played in pretty bad heat as well, think the court temp was actually over 40.

kdalymc

Bench
Pretty crazy that players have to play in it when plenty of workers on outdoor sites get to knock off when the temperature cracks 38. I’ve been sitting in the smoko room watching the footy for pretty much our entire shoft. Doubt we’ll be out til after 7.

Union pussy? Even tho in brizzy they reckon something stupid like “32 and tools down”
No wonder nothing gets built

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think it was the clubs that opted against it. Silly idea. NRL shouldve forced them. Not that it would've mattered for us. :confused:

There were reports before the game they either delay it or call it off. I could wrong but I think there was a similar situation years ago in Brisbane on a Sunday. Eventually they played, Brisbane wore the white jumpers and I think they played Penrith wearing black.

Robert Tehve

Juniors
I guess the answer is whatever the medical experts say.
When I played Rugby we had a match at 36 degrees which was 0:0 ..... we held them out for 25 minutes straight.

It was 38°C when the Eels v Manly match begun today. By half-time it had reached 40°C. Should the game have gone ahead or should it have been delayed until after sunset? When does player safety become more important than the NRL's love of money?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
No where near as bad as the insufferable humidity here in Brisbane or in Townsville.

For example it is currently 36 in Sydney, but with 17% humidity, it feels more like 33. Dew point is 7c, which is quite pleasant.

I remember for some Broncos home games in March the feels like temp has been 38-42, with dew points of 24-26.

Read about dew point here:
http://media.bom.gov.au/social/blog...hered-its-not-the-humidity-its-the-dew-point/
This is probably the most logical point in here.

The other thing to consider is what they call the Wet Bulb temp - which was within the regular guidelines as far as I'm aware yesterday. "omg its 38 degrees" isn't the only measure of heat. Yeah it was hot but not too hot for footy.

And apparently the clubs said ok... so...?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Surely there should be a system where if it's over 36 degrees or whatever temp, they take a 20-minute drinks break. But that probably disturbs TV's plans, therefore won't happen.

Guess as long as one side wins 54-0 you get enough stoppages anyway. Easy to find who has heart and who hasn't in 38deg heat.

Timmah

Staff member
Surely there should be a system where if it's over 36 degrees or whatever temp, they take a 20-minute drinks break. But that probably disturbs TV's plans, therefore won't happen.

Guess as long as one side wins 54-0 you get enough stoppages anyway. Easy to find who has heart and who hasn't in 38deg heat.
There is a system, it's called the heat policy and it's not reliant solely on whatever the weather site says the temperature is. There are a bunch of other factors around humidity, dew point etc that come into play and yesterday, despite appearance, obviously didn't exceed them enough.

As some Queenslander's have pointed out, the lack of humidity would've been key. The fact Brookie's also quite close to the sea probably helped too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
There is a system, it's called the heat policy and it's not reliant solely on whatever the weather site says the temperature is. There are a bunch of other factors around humidity, dew point etc that come into play and yesterday, despite appearance, obviously didn't exceed them enough.

As some Queenslander's have pointed out, the lack of humidity would've been key. The fact Brookie's also quite close to the sea probably helped too.

Fair enough. Did someone else mention it was left in the hands of the teams as well? That seems a bit silly that a) they didn't want drink breaks b) they should have a choice, either the system says you do or not

Timmah

Staff member
The NRL would've assessed it under the heat policy, it would've been fine or borderline and then they would've put it to the clubs.

If they both agreed to play with no drinks breaks then I think that's pretty much it, neither club can complain.

Timbo

Staff member
It doesn't seem that silly an idea to only play night matches until April to me. Avoids having to make the call on the day altogether.

GongPanther

Referee
It was 38°C when the Eels v Manly match begun today. By half-time it had reached 40°C. Should the game have gone ahead or should it have been delayed until after sunset? When does player safety become more important than the NRL's love of money?
It's too hot to play when the other team you are playing is leading by over 50 points.

Latest posts