What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When was the last time we had speed in our backline

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Stanley was very quick indeed and over a 100 he would be in our top 10.
Lumsden also very quick for a big man.
However none hold a candle to Ken Irvine.
Of course he played with Norths for most of his career and they rarely featured in any finals footy and he still holds the try scoring record.
236 Club games for 212 tries in an era of 10 and 12 clubs only.
Rep career 62 games for 70 tries
Nice little youtube on him with some nice cameos from Langlands, Raper and Gasnier (shows what a beautiful balanced runner he was)
Agree re Irvine..Cleary was very sharp for Souths......for us one J King was no slouch

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Wouldn't be great if someone in recruiting worked out the need for speed and factored that in, along with fitness, defensive capability and strength when recruiting players. In fact I'd like to see players not just medically tested but also tested for the above traits and other such requirements by our Club prior to signing a contract.

You raise some good points possm

Old Timer

Coach
Agree re Irvine..Cleary was very sharp for Souths......for us one J King was no slouch
I was at the SCG Souths V Saints and it was reported that Cleary was in front of King re selection for Australia which was to be announced at the end of that weekends round.
Cleary normally played on King's wing but he played on the opposite that day and made a long break past Lumsden and set sail for the line and King corner posted him on the diagonal form the opposite wing with a Johnny King crash tackle (they really were something)
St John's ambo's with the canvas stretcher and King assumed his normal role in the Australian side when announced on Sunday night.
Cleary of course a Commonwealth games runner and as you say King no slouch with only half a foot due to a loan mower accident.

hazzbeen

Bench
I was at the SCG Souths V Saints and it was reported that Cleary was in front of King re selection for Australia which was to be announced at the end of that weekends round.
Cleary normally played on King's wing but he played on the opposite that day and made a long break past Lumsden and set sail for the line and King corner posted him on the diagonal form the opposite wing with a Johnny King crash tackle (they really were something)
St John's ambo's with the canvas stretcher and King assumed his normal role in the Australian side when announced on Sunday night.
Cleary of course a Commonwealth games runner and as you say King no slouch with only half a foot due to a loan mower accident.
Those were the days my friend , the days of real footballers .......

Old Timer

Coach
Those were the days my friend , the days of real footballers .......
So true Hazza and I suspect that the younger posters probably have no real concept of how great the game was, the players were and the sense of excitement every weekend just getting ready to go to a Saints game because it was truly different then to now.
It really is hard to explain that difference and yes time will never stand still but I wish they could have experienced that wonderful euphoria on a weekly and yearly basis and that they may understand why some of the older posters do see things differently.

blacksafake

First Grade
Stanley was very quick indeed and over a 100 he would be in our top 10.
Lumsden also very quick for a big man.
However none hold a candle to Ken Irvine.
Of course he played with Norths for most of his career and they rarely featured in any finals footy and he still holds the try scoring record.
236 Club games for 212 tries in an era of 10 and 12 clubs only.
Rep career 62 games for 70 tries
Nice little youtube on him with some nice cameos from Langlands, Raper and Gasnier (shows what a beautiful balanced runner he was)
Great highlights OT
Just imagine how many more tries he & others would have scored had the corner posts not be in play like today.

possm

Coach
So true Hazza and I suspect that the younger posters probably have no real concept of how great the game was, the players were and the sense of excitement every weekend just getting ready to go to a Saints game because it was truly different then to now.
It really is hard to explain that difference and yes time will never stand still but I wish they could have experienced that wonderful euphoria on a weekly and yearly basis and that they may understand why some of the older posters do see things differently.
Walking up to the SCG from Central Station or walking to Kogarah Jubilee Oval from Carlton station with my family + Grandad full of excitement. Grabbing a hot dog outside the ground and then a program inside the game. Then buying a double and possible a pie, peanuts and an ice-cream when the seller came around. Mostly we sat in the Stands and always arrived well before the gates opened. I enjoyed following players in 3rd and reserve grade as well as watching my Dragons win the majority of games they played. Oh for a return to that era.

Old Timer

Coach
Great highlights OT
Just imagine how many more tries he & others would have scored had the corner posts not be in play like today.

Great point
One can only imagine but it would be a number that no one in this era would have got even close to.
Imagine Irvine and Co playing with skin tight jerseys, synthetic light weight easy grip balls and sticky hand spray scary to event think about it.
Cricket is somewhat the same, I hate to think how many more runs Bradman, Mc Cabe, Morris and the like would have scored with ropes inside the boundaries. let alone with the new bats they have today.

hazzbeen

Bench
So true Old Timer these days the game is good but nothing like those days . if I could say in a few words It was a way of life for St george supporters .....

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Brett Morris and Soward were the last speedster I think Saints have had. Since then they have lacked pace in the backs.

I saw Nene McDonald score a couple of long range tries with the Titans last year but this year he has not had much clear space.

Did not realise how slow Dugan was until the Dogs game. Tood a quick tap with nobody in front and got run down before halfway line. If that was Field see you later aligator.

The future looks bright for the Dragons in this dept with Field, Sailor, and Dufty. Just a matter of how long till we see it happen.

Old Timer

Coach
Brett Morris and Soward were the last speedster I think Saints have had. Since then they have lacked pace in the backs.

I saw Nene McDonald score a couple of long range tries with the Titans last year but this year he has not had much clear space.

Did not realise how slow Dugan was until the Dogs game. Tood a quick tap with nobody in front and got run down before halfway line. If that was Field see you later aligator.

The future looks bright for the Dragons in this dept with Field, Sailor, and Dufty. Just a matter of how long till we see it happen.
The future will only be bright if we open the shutters and let the sun in
Mary is wearing 50+ sun block and has got the curtains drawn and only has a 5 watt bulb in the bedside lamp as he reads NRL coaching for dummies

possm

Coach

The real fact is that we can't keep them all and the ones we want to keep will cost far more then the cost us now. With other clubs seeing them play, you can be sure there will be offers made in their final year of contract with us and these offers will be substantially higher than what we are paing them now.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Simms...thats interesting..didnt realise he was sharp over short distances

Thats out of the forwards.
After 10 meters always frizz and Vaughan and sele.
But Fizz is quite quick.
Of couse what you need to be in league is to have quick footwork as you hit the line.
To me its a combination of speed and power and footwork.
Much like JDB when he runs straight.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Thats out of the forwards.
After 10 meters always frizz and Vaughan and sele.
But Fizz is quite quick.
Of couse what you need to be in league is to have quick footwork as you hit the line.
To me its a combination of speed and power and footwork.
Much like JDB when he runs straight.
So true Old Timer these days the game is good but nothing like those days . if I could say in a few words It was a way of life for St george supporters .....
Yep and you got to watch 3 grades......unreal back then

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Walking up to the SCG from Central Station or walking to Kogarah Jubilee Oval from Carlton station with my family + Grandad full of excitement. Grabbing a hot dog outside the ground and then a program inside the game. Then buying a double and possible a pie, peanuts and an ice-cream when the seller came around. Mostly we sat in the Stands and always arrived well before the gates opened. I enjoyed following players in 3rd and reserve grade as well as watching my Dragons win the majority of games they played. Oh for a return to that era.
Stop it Poss....Im drifting off into dream land

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Great memories OT....was at the Australia v Great Britain Test one year and sitting towards the back of the stands an no joke you could here the opposing wingers colliding when they tackled each other....it was Peter Diamond from OZ and one Billy Boston from GB....2 of the biggest and fiercest flankers I ever saw.....never liable to ever see 2 wingers go that hard at each other again.....mates an I still talk about today

ALSGI

Bench
Speaking of hearing players collide, I'll never forget hearing King Wally scream in pain when he broke his hand/arm at Kogarah, right in front of us then copped the "wally's a wanker" chant as he ran off.
Poor bloke, thought he was laughing at us as he ran off which just made the chant louder.

Latest posts