What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QLD bid would you pick ?

Which current QLD bid would you go for ?

• Brothers

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Redcliffe Dolphins

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Central Queensland

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Western Corridor

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Brisbane Bombers

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

ash the bash

Juniors
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/01/five-queensland-based-bid-teams-in-nrl-expansion-race/

Interesting to hear your thoughts.

I think in the long run both a northern Moreton Bay Dolphins & a South West Jets could have potential. It covers a good geographic spread leaving the Broncos as the central Brisbane team. Play 8 home games in a stadia in their region with big games and derbies made "event matches" at Suncorp.

In saying that I like the thinking of Brothers taking about 4 games to country Queensland areas.

Central Queensland are just making up the numbers.

Brisbane Bombers are probably the most logical safe bet, but something about them I just don't like. I guess they are too much alike to the Broncos. Which may not be a bad thing too.

King hit

Coach
Brisbane brothers would be the preferred choice for Brisbane 2. Links to history, the bombers have nothing to do with Brisbane like the Crushers name and if a Brisbane 2 happens they can't make the same mistake. The Western Corridor team has potential and would be the second pick so either of those 2 will be fine by me.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whichever team has to be based in Brisbane and playing out of Suncorp every week. It’s the only hope of them being financially stable and able to compete with Broncos

Diesel

Referee
Any option of Brothers, Dolphins or Western Corridor/Jets would work. These clubs are established and Brisbane needs an alternative to the Broncos.

The Bombers are a plastic corporate team which is seen as Brisbane v2.0.

When you have locations such as Perth and NZ (excluding Auckland) without a team or Brisbane with only one, you get the idea that CQ is better served as a Q Cup club.

Brothers playing 9-10 home games in Brisbane plus 2-3 elsewhere in QLD/NT each year solves the CQ issue for regional Qld.

Diesel

Referee
Whichever team has to be based in Brisbane and playing out of Suncorp every week. It’s the only hope of them being financially stable and able to compete with Broncos
For the Western Corridor or Jets bids, there is land set aside for a stadium in both Springfield and North Ipswich which would be perfect place for a boutique ground.

Originally the AFL Lions we’re going to set up in Springfield but this didn’t happen, thankfully.

beave

Coach
For the Western Corridor or Jets bids, there is land set aside for a stadium in both Springfield and North Ipswich which would be perfect place for a boutique ground.

Originally the AFL Lions we’re going to set up in Springfield but this didn’t happen, thankfully.

Nah that land set aside for the Lions in Springfield, last I heard it’s back on to being turned into an AFL ground for them.

merkins.

Im an ipswich rates payer and it infuriates me that I am contributing to that sport/club.

Diesel

Referee
Nah that land set aside for the Lions in Springfield, last I heard it’s back on to being turned into an AFL ground for them.

merkins.

Im an ipswich rates payer and it infuriates me that I am contributing to that sport/club.
I thought they decided to move to Springwood or elsewhere in Logan and the WC Bid or QRL was looking at the site?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
For I think a combined brisbane bombers,brothers and Ipswich bid would be perfect. Bombers because of the financials. Brothers because it’s a great club that has Aus wide connections and Ipswich because it’s a expanding area and a obvious and long history of hatred to Brisbane.

Redcliffe and central qld could definitely be great future expansion teams but just not now. Further stadium improvements in these 2 areas should be explored further.

taipan

Referee
For I think a combined brisbane bombers,brothers and Ipswich bid would be perfect. Bombers because of the financials. Brothers because it’s a great club that has Aus wide connections and Ipswich because it’s a expanding area and a obvious and long history of hatred to Brisbane.

Redcliffe and central qld could definitely be great future expansion teams but just not now. Further stadium improvements in these 2 areas should be explored further.

So the Brotherly Ipswich Bombers .The BIBs;)

jim_57

Staff member
Ideally I'd aim for 4 SEQ teams long term.
  • Brisbane Broncos (As is)
  • Gold Coast Titans (As is)
  • North Brisbane/Northern Dolphins
  • West Brisbane/Western Jets
Which of the 2 would be a better fit to go first I'm not sure, in time maybe they could play some games in Redcliffe/Ipswich but good luck getting any money for stadium upgrades in those areas. Although personally I think once Townsville is done a mid-size stadium is Brisbane should be the next built in QLD with maybe an upgrade of Suncorp to 60-70k in 10-20 years.

Reactions: siv

adamkungl

Immortal
Any of Ipswich, Redcliffe or Brothers would be great. Any of the 3 would likely be playing at Suncorp anyway. Brothers might gain the most support by being the least divisive by existing QLD Cup fans. Ipswich or Redcliffe would come with prebuilt fanbases and haters.

CQ don't add anything, Bombers are just a carbon copy of the Broncos.

Perth Red

Post Whore
FOUNDING Broncos director Barry Maranta has launched a stinging criticism of the modern state of the Brisbane club, insisting the deterioration of the NRL powerhouse is proof that the Queensland capital needs a second NRL team.
Expansion has been the buzz word of the week following comments made by the man most likely to succeed John Grant as ARL Commission chairman, Peter Beattie, reigniting the debate as to the merits of a second team in Brisbane.

Thirty years ago Maranta was part of a four-man consortium that brought the first NSWRL team to Brisbane, signing a three-year Queensland exclusivity deal that lasted only a week before the Gold Coast-Tweed Giants were admitted by NSWRL hierarchy.

The South Queensland Crushers’ entry into the renamed Australian Rugby League in 1995 gave Brisbane fans a second side but only for three years as poor on-field results and financial difficulties with the Super League war as a backdrop led to the club’s demise.

Those opposed to a second team in Brisbane believe it will only serve to dilute a market that is arguably the strongest in rugby league at present but that’s not a viewpoint shared by Maranta.

More than 34,000 fans attended a Crushers-Broncos clash at Suncorp Stadium in 1996 and Maranta is confident a local derby will only strengthen rugby league’s foothold in Brisbane.

“We used to get great crowds. When the Gold Coast would come up here we were getting 56,000 at ANZ, and even when the other team was in that only lasted three years and then went belly-up, the Crushers, we got big crowds,” Maranta said of the local derbies.

“I kept telling everyone that didn’t want another team, we get our biggest crowds when we play you guys. We don’t get a crowd when we play Penrith because there’s no one here that supports Penrith.

“If you’re trying to make money out of bums on seats, why not (have a second team)?”

But after engineering the establishment of one of the biggest brands in Australian sport, Maranta warned that the financials must first add up, pointing to the millions invested by the likes of Darryl Kelly at the Titans as a sign of the investment required.

“The economics have got to be right,” said Maranta.

“We were the most highly-sponsored team in Australia, and when I went to England I found that our sponsorship dollars were the equivalent of Liverpool and Man United.

“That’s how big we were in terms of sponsorship. We were massive, but not one of them — with the exception of Power’s Brewing, which was a fluke — came from Brisbane.

“If you’ve been in business in Brisbane long enough you’ll know there’s no money in Brisbane. The money in Queensland is in mining and agriculture, none of which is in Brisbane.

“You’ve got people such as (Darryl) Kelly on the Coast who keep putting their hands in their pockets but you can’t keep doing that forever.

“The issue is that it won’t work if they can’t get the sponsorship.

“If they can get the sponsorship — and there’s a lot more money in Brisbane now 30 years later — then good luck to them.

“I think it’s time.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...m/news-story/1ee22945ef67400624238fbdc20352f1

jim_57

Staff member
Any of Ipswich, Redcliffe or Brothers would be great. Any of the 3 would likely be playing at Suncorp anyway. Brothers might gain the most support by being the least divisive by existing QLD Cup fans. Ipswich or Redcliffe would come with prebuilt fanbases and haters.

CQ don't add anything, Bombers are just a carbon copy of the Broncos.

Being realistic though, how many people are we talking that will "hate" Jets or Dolphins if they keep their names when they become NRL clubs?

I don't imagine it's the make or break type numbers.

adamkungl

Immortal
Being realistic though, how many people are we talking that will "hate" Jets or Dolphins if they keep their names when they become NRL clubs?

I don't imagine it's the make or break type numbers.

Not hate necessarily. But I think the fear has always been that if you promote a QLD Cup team, fans of the other teams (which would make up a lot of QLD RL fans) won't support them. Nor will Broncos fans. So who will?
Maybe that fear is unfounded, I don't know

King hit

Coach
Pretty interesting hearing Barry saying how good a second Brisbane team would be after he was so anti Crushers and anti any Brisbane team for years

Perth Red

Post Whore
The sleeping NRL expansion giants of Queensland have been awoken.

NRL.com can reveal there are five bids from the Sunshine State set to throw their hat in the ring whenever the National Rugby League calls for expansion.

The Brisbane Bombers, Redcliffe Dolphins, Brothers, Western Corridor and Central Queensland bids are all ready and set to up the ante to be part of a possible 18-team competition.

Former Queensland premier Peter Beattie, set to be the next ARL Commission chairman, said expansion should be a top priority for the NRL in an interview with The Daily Telegraph earlier this week and his views have reignited the fire that still burns within the bellies of the respective bid teams.

Beattie plans to put expansion front and centre of his tenure and mentioned regional areas and rugby league heartlands like Redcliffe and Ipswich as possible locations.

ARLC chairman John Grant announced the NRL's 2018-2022 broadcast deal in late 2015.

Based on a similar timeline the next deal may well be done and dusted by the end of 2020 so the prospective NRL bid teams based in Queensland are ramping up their preparations.

"I have been a big believer all along that you either grow or your die. If you stand still you go backwards and Peter Beattie obviously believes the same thing," Central Queensland bid chairman Geoff Murphy said.

"Good on him for coming out and putting expansion back on the table. The CQ bid will be ready to go whenever we are called upon."

Former NRL star Scott Sattler, who is a consultant to the Brisbane Bombers bid, was a key player in the formation of the Gold Coast Titans.

"When Peter Beattie and [former Queensland Treasurer] Terry Mackenroth gave funding to the new stadium on the Gold Coast is when the Titans bid became a true reality to be quite honest," Sattler said.

"Beattie understands what people want and has the courage of his convictions to get things done.

"But with expansion you can't just expand for the sake of it or just to try and fire another shot across the bow at the AFL.

"You've just got to worry about your own game internally and ensuring that you expand into the right area which will embrace it and where the NRL will benefit from it financially and commercially.

"That is why south-east Queensland - from a supporters, commercial, junior development and engagement point of view - ticks all those boxes."

Western Corridor bid chairman Steve Johnson agreed Queensland was getting short-changed.

"There are not enough teams here in Queensland to care for our young men and the split of money in rugby league is still inequitable," he said.

"We have three clubs out of the 14 (in NSW, ACT and Queensland) and that means we are getting 20% of the money while supplying 45% of the players which means the mums and dads of Queensland have to work harder and give up more of their time for the game to maintain itself and that is just not fair.

"Social justice and commonsense dictates that there needs to be a third side in south-east Queensland."

NRL.com has spoken to the five Queensland based NRL bid teams and provided a snapshot of their bids.

Brothers

The Brothers NRL bid is based on uniting an already connected fan base, not bound by geography, behind an established brand.

"We have a licensed agreement with the [Brothers] Confraternity, who are the IP holders of the Brothers brand, and our idea is to unite the vast Brothers fan base, talent pool, stakeholders and members through an elite pinnacle team," Brothers NRL bid director Justin Barlow told NRL.com.

"We believe that a new team's foundation should be based on a powerful, connected brand, which gives you an instant engaged fan base all over Australia."

Barlow said other bids were constrained by geographical boundaries.

"You tell me any other place where a kid who can play for the under 6s in Mackay and can have a direct pathway to the NRL and a connection to that team," he said.

"There are over 40 functioning Brothers clubs in Australia throughout three states but we are going to be able to pick up other markets because there is Brothers rugby union, Brothers cricket and Brothers netball, so a very wide fan base."

Big names of the NRL such as Cameron Smith (Logan Brothers), Billy Slater (Innisfail Brothers), Sam Thaiday (Townsville Brothers) and Wayne Bennett (Toowoomba and Brisbane Brothers) all played with Brothers clubs in their formative years.

The Brothers bid has been referred to as the 'Travelling Wilburys' of the NRL bid teams, but Barlow said that was wide of the mark.

We would be able to work with the NRL about where they needed us to be positioned," he said.

"Then we could start working with our stakeholders to create that foundation.

"We have options for some inner city [Brisbane] land, that are obviously pending, where we could base our clubhouse. We have a connection in Ipswich and could base ourselves there with a training base and academy."

Redcliffe Dolphins

The Redcliffe Dolphins bid has stayed in the background on the publicity front but is set to be in the foreground if expansion gets the green light.

With a winning history stretching back more than 70 years and financial stability which is the envy of NRL clubs, chairman Bob Jones said the club's NRL bid was "ready to step up".

The Dolphins have entered into long-term business arrangements that provide an income stream, outside of their powerful leagues club, that is unmatched in the Intrust Super Cup. In 2015 Redcliffe received a $4 million funding commitment from the federal government towards a $12 million, 10,000 seat stadium at Dolphin Oval, which would also be the training base for an NRL side.

"With our facilities to support a team I would have thought there was no-one that has got anything compares to what we already have," Jones said.

"Our infrastructure is better than half of the clubs that are in the NRL now.

"The stadium on the main side [of the field] has been completed for a couple of seasons now and we are a bit over halfway through the other side of the field being completed."

The Gold Coast Titans initially planned to call their club the Gold Coast Dolphins, a bid that failed when the Redcliffe club threatened legal action.

Redcliffe didn't realise how powerful its brand was until the club then engaged a marketing team to research it. The results revealed a brand more widely known than the Queensland Bulls and Queensland Reds with only the Broncos and Brisbane Lions ahead of them.

Central Queensland

In 2010 Central Queensland bid chairman Geoff Murphy took then NRL CEO David Gallop on a whirlwind tour, accompanied by several journalists, in his private jet.

The only person not exhausted by the end of it was Murphy himself, the energiser bunny owner of the multimillion-dollar company JM Kelly Group.

Murphy has outlined the strategic value of his bid in filling "the gap" in the NRL market on the Eastern Seaboard in heartland rugby league territory.

"We have a very strong argument for our bid and why it will work," Murphy told NRL.com.

"The population of the CQ area has slightly more people than they have in Townsville and we are the heartland of rugby league.

"We'd play our games in Rockhampton but we would take games to Mackay and Bundaberg

"The State Government, starting with the Bligh Government and confirmed by current Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, promised me they would build me a stadium similar to that of the Titans on the Gold Coast when we got the team."

Murphy said "when you look at the history of the game and the key people playing in the NRL at the moment, the CQ would be one of the biggest suppliers of players".

Matt Scott, Jake Granville, Corey Oates and Ben Hunt are from the region.

Murphy has vast business contacts and had key sponsors in place when expansion was a red-hot topic and the game appeared to be on the cusp of moving to 18 teams.

He said those discussions would be revamped "now that expansion has become red hot again".

Murphy did have preliminary discussions with the NRL about owning the Titans and has been linked to other relocated teams in the past.

"I was very interested in the Titans but the reason I did not proceed was because there was a belief that the team should remain on the God Coast and remain as the Titans," he said.

"I don't think the NRL had any desire to sell a team that would be relocated. They made that loud and clear.

"And I didn't really want to own a team that was based on the Gold Coast. I wanted something based in Central Queensland for the people here."

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/02/02/five-queensland-bid-teams-in-expansion-race/

Latest posts