What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QLD bid would you pick ?

Which current QLD bid would you go for ?

• Brothers

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Redcliffe Dolphins

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Central Queensland

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Western Corridor

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Brisbane Bombers

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

Perth Red

Post Whore
Part2

Western Corridor

"We've got to go where the fish are biting."

That famous quote of former NRL CEO David Gallop's back in 2009 when he visited Ipswich and put expansion firmly on the rugby league agenda set off a chain events that have led to the heartland league city being one of the favourites to get a new license.

The Western Corridor bid model is based on community ownership and had lucrative commercial sponsorship agreements in place when it appeared expansion would proceed three years ago.

Bid chairman Steve Johnson, who is also the Ipswich Jets chairman, has presented the financial viability and strengths of his bid to TV bosses and NRL heavyweights on a regular basis for the good part of the past decade.

The Toowoomba-Logan-Ipswich region where the bid is based has been the conduit for the greatest players the game has seen, including Allan Langer, the Walters brothers and Cameron Smith.

A prospective team would play out of Suncorp Stadium and have its training base in the Western Corridor catchment area.

Johnson said the bid was essentially ready to go and had the advantage of working daily with an Intrust Super Cup side, the Ipswich Jets, which will come under its umbrella.

"When David Smith was in the (NRL CEO) seat he had the full financials and went through it and there were no concerns," Johnson said.

"All we will have to do is modernise the financials.

"The good thing is being a community based bid like ourselves, and the same with Redcliffe, is that we have kept on working in the community and staying involved actively in rugby league.

"The game is not all about commerce. You can buy brains for commerce, but you can't buy brains for rugby league, history, relationships and respect.

"You have to earn that, and the rugby league based bids have the right to claim that."

The Ipswich-based bid is a grass roots bid and was set up to allow young rugby league players from the region to stay in their home towns and aspire to play NRL.

"We had concerns about the way the Western Corridor was being farmed [for players] with no compensation back for all the crops that were stolen from us," Johnson said

"We've had to keep working harder at grass roots to keep planting the crops. The game has shown we are of value by the continual taking of our young men and now it is time the game gave us the respect back to allow proper care for our young men in their home environments."

Brisbane Bombers

The Bombers have provided the razzmatazz to the NRL expansion race but former NRL star Scott Sattler said there was a real depth to the bid which would ensure its success.

Sattler, a key figure in the establishment of the Gold Coast Titans, has been assisting the bid as a consultant on football operations and development.

Sattler said the Bombers would quench the thirst of the south-east Queensland rugby league public for regular games in Brisbane and had done an outstanding job of selling their brand and commercial viability.

That included hosting an NRL trial between the Storm and Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium in 2013.

"I thought that NRL trial was a really good way to expand your brand and it was good for rugby league, by bringing the game to Brisbane," Sattler said.

"The investors and [bid boss] Nick Livermore speak about how robust the financial model is, but from a rugby league fan point of view I think south-east Queensland and the Scenic Rim also deserve a game every weekend in Brisbane as opposed to every possible fortnight.

"We need that cross-town rivalry in rugby league, which I think we have lost.

"We have identified that junior development is probably the key and engaging junior players so they stay in the state.

"Above all I think the most important thing the Bombers will bring is the ability to develop and build the brand of rugby league in south-east Queensland and the Scenic Rim."

Sattler insists that a Bombers side in the NRL will enhance the Broncos and not detract from them.

"The Broncos have done a fantastic job ever since they were introduced into the competition, but I think they would benefit from another team in south-east Queensland because it would spike that cross-town rivalry, which I think they would enjoy from a marketing point of view," he said.

"From a commercial point of view they might feel as though there is another team fighting for the dollar, but I think we all know there are enough multi-national corporations that can be enticed to support rugby league.

"I think they would enjoy that competition both on and off the field. They would embrace it because they have been so good at fighting against the elements ever since they have come into the competition."

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/20182/02/02/five-queensland-bid-teams-in-expansion-race/

jim_57

Staff member
Not hate necessarily. But I think the fear has always been that if you promote a QLD Cup team, fans of the other teams (which would make up a lot of QLD RL fans) won't support them. Nor will Broncos fans. So who will?
Maybe that fear is unfounded, I don't know

Not so sure it would be that profound honestly. I know QLD Cup has a healthy following for a 2nd tier comp but in my first 26 years of life living in QLD I don't honestly remember meeting many genuine QLD Cup club mega fans. Also I can't remember ever hearing anyone say they hate the Redcliffe Dolphins, Ipswich Jets, Burleigh Bears or Mackay Cutters etc.

It is definetely a concern for these type of "promotion" bids, but not a major one I would imagine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Biggest risk to this is a potential nswrl backlash at the idea of A) two potentially big city clubs coming in, further leaving the Sydney suburban clubs behind B) it developing into a nsw v Q’land spat with nsw clubs not wanting to see their dominant club ratio affected.

adamkungl

Immortal
Biggest risk to this is a potential nswrl backlash at the idea of A) two potentially big city clubs coming in, further leaving the Sydney suburban clubs behind B) it developing into a nsw v Q’land spat with nsw clubs not wanting to see their dominant club ratio affected.

I think if they're forced to embrace expansion the NSW clubs would be more than happy to see the Broncos 1-team-town dominance knocked down a peg.

Let's be real here, the biggest obstacle to another Brisbane team is the current Brisbane team.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors

I think (A) could be a problem but I don’t think (B) is even an issue. It’s not a nsw v qld thing. It’s nsw (Sydney)/Broncs v everyone else thing.
I’m not sure their dominant ratio argument would pass the pub test.

It seems the best way to implement new clubs would be by getting a early read from media companies as to benefit of the 9th game. Pass on that info about the potential windfall to the clubs and throw in a little sweetener.

T-Boon

Coach
What I would do is enter the proposed second Brisbane team (preferably Brisbane Brothers or Combined Brisbane or something with some pre Broncos history) into the NSW cup for a couple of years. Market them as a united Brisbane team stealing NSWs chocolates. That would entrench them as Brisbane's team. Then promote them to the NRL.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I still think a BRL United team is the best bet...

Long history without any of the old club rivalries the Brother, Jets, Dolphines would face. It would also give the ARLC far more room to put the best bid together; instead of accepting a great business-case and a shitty logo (or visa versa), cherrypick the best aspects of each (best logo, best structure, etc.)

This would need to be ARLC-pushed. If they arent willing to do it themselves and they only consider outside bids, then the Brothers for me...

flippikat

Bench
Whoever it is, they need a unique identity (sorry Bombers), and a unique set of club colours.

Something that the Gold Coast bid had with the original Dolphins concept, but mangled badly when they morphed into the Titans.

Stallion

First Grade
Whoever it is, they need a unique identity (sorry Bombers), and a unique set of club colours.

Something that the Gold Coast bid had with the original Dolphins concept, but mangled badly when they morphed into the Titans.

I suggest if for instance its Brisbane Dolphins backed by Redcliffe Leagues club I think they get away with it. A distinct and popular choice in colours (unlike the Crushers colours) would make the Brisbane second team successful within the market. Just deliver on the field and you have a significant and longstanding new club in the top flight with a local derby and added tv revenue and ratings on top.

flippikat

Bench
I suggest if for instance its Brisbane Dolphins backed by Redcliffe Leagues club I think they get away with it. A distinct and popular choice in colours (unlike the Crushers colours) would make the Brisbane second team successful within the market. Just deliver on the field and you have a significant and longstanding new club in the top flight with a local derby and added tv revenue and ratings on top.

This could work, if the Brisbane Dolphins club adopts a distinct set of club colours for an NRL side.

I can imagine the Dragons would not be happy with the prospect of another red & white club in the NRL, much like how Collingwood objected to Port Adelaide wearing their 'prison bars' kit in the AFL.

That might not be a bad thing. By using a set of colours that's "neutral" - not distinctly Redcliffe or any other Brisbane club - it might widen their appeal in Brisbane beyond just the Redcliffe base. Maybe the Dolphins could use the orange and blue colours that the Gold Coast bid originally intended?

Ideally Brisbane would have 3 clubs in the long run IMO.

I'm not convinced about the Brothers bid, and I think the Bombers is just wrong (same name as an AFL club, plus non-distinctive colours, plus a similar corporate sheen to the Broncos).

I can see the future of Brisbane being a Broncos-Dolphins-Jets rivalry.

Yes, I'm aware that that's roughly basing teams on geography, and has the risk of just appealing to Redcliffe and Ipswich fans.. but if the clubs that head-up those bids make decent efforts to engage in the wider Brisbane market I think it can work... especially if the NRL bids have involvement from other neighbouring Qld Cup clubs.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
This could work, if the Brisbane Dolphins club adopts a distinct set of club colours for an NRL side.

I can imagine the Dragons would not be happy with the prospect of another red & white club in the NRL, much like how Collingwood objected to Port Adelaide wearing their 'prison bars' kit in the AFL.

That might not be a bad thing. By using a set of colours that's "neutral" - not distinctly Redcliffe or any other Brisbane club - it might widen their appeal in Brisbane beyond just the Redcliffe base. Maybe the Dolphins could use the orange and blue colours that the Gold Coast bid originally intended?

Ideally Brisbane would have 3 clubs in the long run IMO.

I'm not convinced about the Brothers bid, and I think the Bombers is just wrong (same name as an AFL club, plus non-distinctive colours, plus a similar corporate sheen to the Broncos).

I can see the future of Brisbane being a Broncos-Dolphins-Jets rivalry.

Yes, I'm aware that that's roughly basing teams on geography, and has the risk of just appealing to Redcliffe and Ipswich fans.. but if the clubs that head-up those bids make decent efforts to engage in the wider Brisbane market I think it can work... especially if the NRL bids have involvement from other neighbouring Qld Cup clubs.

Pretty sure the 50percent of people in Brisbane whom dislike the Broncos would settle on an appropriately/attractively coloured Brisbane Dolphins playing out of Suncorp stadium. Think its got merit!

Perth Red

Post Whore
It will come down to the bid that presents the least risk to the nrl financially imo. Nrl are a conservative mob and won’t want any whiff of sustainability issues, especially as perth is likely to be more high risk. It will irk everyone but I can see the bombers winning this, plenty of rich backers and corporate link Ups.

flippikat

Bench
Pretty sure the 50percent of people in Brisbane whom dislike the Broncos would settle on an appropriately/attractively coloured Brisbane Dolphins playing out of Suncorp stadium. Think its got merit!

After scuttling the Gold Coast bid's original Dolphins identity (which would have been a far better fit than the Titans brand they were backed-into), it's time NOW for Redcliffe to put-up or shut-up.

They said they didn't want another NRL club to use the Dolphins name, because they may sometime want to bid.. in the future.. sometime...

Well, that time needs to be now - or else let someone else use that name for a bid.

flippikat

Bench
It will come down to the bid that presents the least risk to the nrl financially imo. Nrl are a conservative mob and won’t want any whiff of sustainability issues, especially as perth is likely to be more high risk. It will irk everyone but I can see the bombers winning this, plenty of rich backers and corporate link Ups.

Setting aside the corporate sheen that makes the Bombers "Broncos V2.0", the name is not distinct in the Australian sports market, and the potential club colours just aren't that distinctive in the NRL.

The Perth bid was clever enough to realise that the Reds brand is now something well established with the Queensland Super Rugby team.. hence the Pirates re-brand. It's staggering to think the Bombers have jumped at a name that's already a well established brand in AFL.

If that syndicate gets the nod, the NRL needs to ask for a rebrand before they take the field.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That wasn’t actually the reason why they changed the Perth bid brand. When the rumour was that there was going to be expansion for 2013 and the WARL heard that Elias and sage were about to launch a rival perth bid they decided they needed something fresh for the media and nrl to make sure they were out front. rumour was Sage was about to launch a West Coast 49’ers club bid name so WARL decided to get on front foot with a renaming of the bid.

Don’t disagree re the negatives of Bombers name and colours but none of that will matter to nrl, they’ll want to see $’s in the bank and a $6mill sponsorship portfolio, rom the outside it looks like the bombers are most likely to deliver this.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Yeah I don't think that an old brand is the way to go personally, for example if the Dolphins were to get a license and keep the Dolphins name it'd damage their image outside of Redcliffe and severely hurt their potential support base outside of Redcliffe because of it.

I can remember when the Raiders were just starting up and everybody though they were going to keep the Queanbeyan Blues brand for NSWRL, instantly more then 3 quarters of their potential fan base was turned off (including me), there was just noway that we were going to support the Queanbeyan Blues no matter what level the footy was at, but once it came out that they'd be called the Raiders everybody was back on board, even though the Raiders were effectively just the Blues with a different name and strip.

The same thing has happened with the Tuggranong Vikings picking up Canberra's NRC license, it probably killed off more then 3 quarters of their potential support base instantly, apart from Vikings people nobody in Canberra will touch them.

So even though you and I as hardcore RL fans that are steeped in the history and love this stuff would love to see some of the old brands either make a come back or move up the totem pole from the lower leagues, in my opinion any new Brisbane club should try to go for an original and independent brand that holds some sort of meaning to the area, even if it's owned by a preexisting club like Redcliffe, it's just better for business and better for their image and community engagement within their region.

A new independent brand is basically a big sign that says this isn't just a club for Redcliffe (using them as an example again), it's a clubs for the whole of Brisbane, and as I said before it's just better for business not to disenfranchise a huge part of the market and to appeal to as much of the market as possible.

Stallion

First Grade
Yeah I don't think that an old brand is the way to go personally, for example if the Dolphins were to get a license and keep the Dolphins name it'd damage their image outside of Redcliffe and severely hurt their potential support base outside of Redcliffe because of it.

I can remember when the Raiders were just starting up and everybody though they were going to keep the Queanbeyan Blues brand for NSWRL, instantly more then 3 quarters of their potential fan base was turned off (including me), there was just noway that we were going to support the Queanbeyan Blues no matter what level the footy was at, but once it came out that they'd be called the Raiders everybody was back on board, even though the Raiders were effectively just the Blues with a different name and strip.

The same thing has happened with the Tuggranong Vikings picking up Canberra's NRC license, it probably killed off more then 3 quarters of their potential support base instantly, apart from Vikings people nobody in Canberra will touch them.

So even though you and I as hardcore RL fans that are steeped in the history and love this stuff would love to see some of the old brands either make a come back or move up the totem pole from the lower leagues, in my opinion any new Brisbane club should try to go for an original and independent brand that holds some sort of meaning to the area, even if it's owned by a preexisting club like Redcliffe, it's just better for business and better for their image and community engagement within their region.

A new independent brand is basically a big sign that says this isn't just a club for Redcliffe (using them as an example again), it's a clubs for the whole of Brisbane, and as I said before it's just better for business not to disenfranchise a huge part of the market and to appeal to as much of the market as possible.

Are there any local native animals in the area like wombats etc? Brisbane Wombats (something with two syllables for a decent crowd chant)or similar would work?

Not Redcliffe. Makes no geographical sense.
Bombers is a shit name. That's enough reason to omit.
Brothers might be pretty good. Only concern would be the limiting and potentially divisive Irish/Catholic element.
Jets seems the best bid. Geographically independent of what might then be called Broncos territory, a huge, growing area, potential for links to the south west of the state and unique colours. They just need a good name to replace "western corridor".

Stallion

First Grade
Not Redcliffe. Makes no geographical sense.
Bombers is a shit name. That's enough reason to omit.
Brothers might be pretty good. Only concern would be the limiting and potentially divisive Irish/Catholic element.
Jets seems the best bid. Geographically independent of what might then be called Broncos territory, a huge, growing area, potential for links to the south west of the state and unique colours. They just need a good name to replace "western corridor".

Think we are forgeting Brisbane needs to share Brisbane! 2million people. Parhaps Brisbane Dolphins or whatever have the northern part and the Broncos the southern half? Or whatever works best. Not sure of the geography? Something should surely work. I know the Broncos will aim to keep it all but that's not right and is greedy!

Last edited:

Latest posts