What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we need to recruit in 2018?

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Gee its only round 2 and we are already looking at recruitment..lol
Biggest broom we can find from Bunnings must be brought out at end of 2017...
And stop buying these duds nobody else wants.

Tiger05

First Grade
De Belin has resigned with Saints so that option is out. Our edges are terrible. Lawrence can be run over. Chee-Kam has been caught out every time he plays in the centres. Naiqama has problems all the time. Idris looks way too slow.

We need to get some players in the backrow and the centres that can do the job. I have no idea who to get.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
De Belin has resigned with Saints so that option is out. Our edges are terrible. Lawrence can be run over. Chee-Kam has been caught out every time he plays in the centres. Naiqama has problems all the time. Idris looks way too slow.

We need to get some players in the backrow and the centres that can do the job. I have no idea who to get.

Me either...Dont think we have them...Id but Whare from Penrith for starters.
What makes me mad is we ALL can see Chee Kam is not a centre,but he gets picked again this week.
Agree with you about Chrystal Lawrence.......Has cost us more than 1 try by being trampled over.1 against Penrith and from memory a few last year one on one.

Tiger05

First Grade
I reckon what is happening with Chee-Kam is bad. He looks good to me but he is getting beat so easily in the centres defensively.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lawrence still defends like a centre - where the job is to hold a player up and try to wrap the ball up and wait for the cover defence to help.

It means his natural instinct is to stand tall to defend, which is just wrong in the back row.

This though can be fixed.

What he does possess, but isn't being utilised, is the ability to run great lines, with speed and commitment. Only Luke Lewis is better.

But our halves have very little links or plays with out back rowers, other than using them like battering rams/extra props.

Our back rowers just don't have the size to function that way.

Clifferd

Coach
I wonder how Lawrence would play under a Mitchell Pearce type player.

It would be career destroying player under a player with no confidence such as Brooks

Clifferd

Coach
There's a few good options off contract for both 2nd row and centre id be chasing

In particular -

Will Chambers (would be hard to nab off Melbourne, but worth s shot)
Dale Copley (would be stuck behind a few at the roosters you'd think, wouldn't surprise me if he asked for a release)

Dale Finuucane (once again hard to nab off Melbourne but worth a shot)
Chris McQueen (I understand we are tabling a decent sized offer for him)
Aiden Guerra (shit atm but I think a change of culture might do him good, current qld rep player)

I remember a mate who is a Manly tragic saying to me that Chee Kam goes alright and he is a pretty good backrower but played his first 1st grade game in the centres at Manly because of injuries.

I just looked up his stats and he actually made the U20's Team of the Year in 2012 as a back rower.
What is interesting is who else was in that team and went on to play 1st grade: Marika Koroibete, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, David Klemmer, Michael Lichaa, Korbin Sims and reserves Chris Grevsmuhl, Luke Keary and Dylan Napa.

So am I right in saying, Manly used him in the centres because they had to but was really a back rower?
Tigers thought he was a centre who could play back row so recruited him but still used Kyle Lovett in the centres?
Tigers thought they could manufacture a centre so used the NSW Cup for that. The same club could have done the opposite perhaps and used the NSW Cup to develop Curtis Sironen as a centre, but no why do that.

I don't think there is anyone in the club who has vision.

Tiger Ted

Bench
There's a few good options off contract for both 2nd row and centre id be chasing

In particular -

Will Chambers (would be hard to nab off Melbourne, but worth s shot)
Dale Copley (would be stuck behind a few at the roosters you'd think, wouldn't surprise me if he asked for a release)

Dale Finuucane (once again hard to nab off Melbourne but worth a shot)
Chris McQueen (I understand we are tabling a decent sized offer for him)
Aiden Guerra (shit atm but I think a change of culture might do him good, current qld rep player)
Copley scored 3 tries against a pathetic Milone led statecup team 2 weeks ago.Apparently the Titans r chasing him.

I personally hope we don't sign McQueen.He turns 30 this yr & is playing poorly.i guarantee a 3 yr contract will backfire on us as it normally does.

I hope I'm wrong but the signs r clear that we r facing many more lean yrs in the doldrums!

We have key players managed by the same dickhead dragging out contract negotiations & asking for massive overs, we can't tackle,our kicking game continues to b substandard, we surrender when the going gets tough, our depth is shithouse, the coach is inept & we generally r unable to attract the quality of player necessary to b a contender.Also if we have a decent outside back we gift him to Bellamy !

There's talk that the super whatever is going back to Super 15 and 1 Oz team to be dropped. Maybe Curtis Rona could be a target?

Clifferd

Coach
I remember a mate who is a Manly tragic saying to me that Chee Kam goes alright and he is a pretty good backrower but played his first 1st grade game in the centres at Manly because of injuries.

I just looked up his stats and he actually made the U20's Team of the Year in 2012 as a back rower.
What is interesting is who else was in that team and went on to play 1st grade: Marika Koroibete, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, David Klemmer, Michael Lichaa, Korbin Sims and reserves Chris Grevsmuhl, Luke Keary and Dylan Napa.

So am I right in saying, Manly used him in the centres because they had to but was really a back rower?
Tigers thought he was a centre who could play back row so recruited him but still used Kyle Lovett in the centres?
Tigers thought they could manufacture a centre so used the NSW Cup for that. The same club could have done the opposite perhaps and used the NSW Cup to develop Curtis Sironen as a centre, but no why do that.

I don't think there is anyone in the club who has vision.

I wouldn't mind seeing Chee Kam playing 2nd row at all if it means pushing Sue back to prop

I have the feeling he was only used to accomodate idris's lack of fitness & when he can play a full 80 maybe he can be used to start 2nd row

Suli maybe a better option at centre,he seems to struggle to get airborne when contesting the highball,so I would sign another winger and at least 3 or 4 forwards with mongrel in them.

Tiger05

First Grade
Copley scored 3 tries against a pathetic Milone led statecup team 2 weeks ago.Apparently the Titans r chasing him.

I personally hope we don't sign McQueen.He turns 30 this yr & is playing poorly.i guarantee a 3 yr contract will backfire on us as it normally does.

I hope I'm wrong but the signs r clear that we r facing many more lean yrs in the doldrums!

We have key players managed by the same dickhead dragging out contract negotiations & asking for massive overs, we can't tackle,our kicking game continues to b substandard, we surrender when the going gets tough, our depth is shithouse, the coach is inept & we generally r unable to attract the quality of player necessary to b a contender.Also if we have a decent outside back we gift him to Bellamy !

Pretty fair comments. At the same time we have the potential to be a really good side. We aren't far off. Like you I'm concerned that if poor decisions are made now though we will be in for a tough couple of years.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Pretty fair comments. At the same time we have the potential to be a really good side. We aren't far off. Like you I'm concerned that if poor decisions are made now though we will be in for a tough couple of years.
Btw not only did we gift both korobeite & JAC to Bellamy but he along with the dogs were chasing Suli's signature hard.Its y we paid overs for the kid.

It's annoying how we are never in the market to buy quality players that we desperately need,yet some how we are always over the salary cap with our current plodders that wouldn't make FG anywhere else.

Latest posts