What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will draw the bigger crowd? Sydney or Melbourne?

ByRd

First Grade
I hope Melbourne does beat it but have to give credit to the sydney crowd, was better then i expected and 32k with an out of town team is a fair effort.

gong_eagle

First Grade
doglyf said:
I hope Melbourne does beat it but have to give credit to the sydney crowd, was better then i expected and 32k with an out of town team is a fair effort.

I would say at least 70% were Manly fans

yakstorm

First Grade
It was a great effort by Manly fans, and there were plenty of neutrals as well which was encouraging.

Interesting to note in this Final Series, at least in the Sydney games, all the Category 1 tickets are selling really quickly and in the case of Telstra Stadium people would rather sit on Level 6 than behind the goals on Level 1 for a cheaper price.

Billythekid

First Grade
wittyfan said:
Dissappointing crowd I must say.

Although i to was a bit disappointed i don't think it's too bad. I think dogs semi last year and manly's semi this year are far more dissappointing. In general i think all semi finals should basically be sell outs, it' a shame more neutral fans won't head out to these big games.

Noa

First Grade
Collingwood playing the night before would have cost us a few supporters. There are alot of Collingwood fans who like the storm as well and they would of had to choose between the 2.

But the crowd was good and is an indication of the crowds we'll get once our new stadium is bulit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sad day for Sydney or great day for the expansion of Rl when Melbourne can draw a bigger crowd than a Sydney team in the playoffs?

Hold on a Sec, Melbourne Storm has just smashed the Crowd Attendence record in Melbourne by nearly the ammount of the Storm Crowd average this year.

I think it was a fantastic crowd for Melbourne and it just proves that a Good Stadium has to be built and the crowd will come and quite frankly, Thank god that is happening

yakstorm

First Grade
I think we have a pretty clear idea on the number of people in Melbourne who will pay to go and watch RL now after Origin last year, the Tri-Nations and today's match.

For Origin, around 30,000 tickets were sold to people based in Victoria, 30,732 turned up to the Tri-Nations and we had 33,427 today, and I think it would be fair to say 1-2K worth of Eels fans did travel down for the match.

Now of course all 3 were big games, but I do think that if the Storm was prepared to chance their arm, and try 1-2 games at the Dome next year against big sides, so maybe Brisbane and Manly, I think they could draw around similar figures.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Sad day for Sydney or great day for the expansion of Rl when Melbourne can draw a bigger crowd than a Sydney team in the playoffs?

LOL - you clearly don't understand League culture. Firstly, SFS is a fair way from Townsville - so not many cowpats fans would be there.

Second, if you have no idea of what the word 'Manly" means to the psyche of ordinary NSWelshmen, you need to read more. Apart from manly fans themselves - who the f**k would go and watch them?

We have passion over here, you know. It's not like wandering up to the local flicks with a bag of popcorn and some mild enthusiasm about the entertainment on fare. It's not the friggin Swans. It's MANLY!!!!

There are 3 types of people in Sydney:

1) Manly fans
2) Those who thouroughly DESPISE Manly (Palestinian suicide bombers despising Israel is nothing on the Manly hatred)
3) Tourists from NESB's. Even Poms and Kiwis know to hate Manly when holidaying in Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
what better way than to support a team playing Manly?

Poor excuse, about on par with the rain and poor transport we normally get.

Personally I am far far more excited by Melbourne drawing a crowd that size than disappointed by Manly's crowd. Great signs for the future of League in Victoria.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think its rare for neutrals in Sydney to go to games ( even big finals matches)... the fact it was Manly playing is not relevant in my opinion...

It seems to me that thousands of AFL fans will attend big games even if there side is not playing...

Did any Sydney neutrals here go to the game on Sat night??

Downie

Guest Moderator
eels_fan_01 said:
Lets not try and defend the Manly/Cowboys crowd, it was pathetic.

Storm/Parra was acceptable.

I take it you didn't go :sarcasm:

What would you have been satisfied with? We could only fit another 8k in there and some of that would've been allocated to members and the like who didn't show.

eels_fan_01

Bench
Downie said:
I take it you didn't go :sarcasm:

What would you have been satisfied with? We could only fit another 8k in there and some of that would've been allocated to members and the like who didn't show.

No i didnt end up going, had other plans.

They upgraded the stadium to fit nearly 46 thousand people in there.

Latest posts