What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people call RU, 'rugby'??

joedynamo

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
in order for the IRB to change the name of the game to "Rugby Union" it needs to change its constitution, they havent done that.. ever..
Really? The irFb has changed its constitution and on more than one occasion. They have even changed the name of the game in the ‘Laws’. Please read the thread.

therefore they havent ever changed their name to "rugby union" therefore you lied... again.... its not a good habit to get into

You got it wrong again, huh.

Funny.. i didnt read that they changed the definition of the game they run...
Yeah, but there’s lots you don’t know, as becomes more obvious with every post you make.

and you still havent provided which "Law" that states the term "Rugby Union" as a description or definition of the game... not surprising really.. since there isnt one.
..Other than the 1958 irFb Resolution banning contact with Rugby, you mean?

TO DEFINE THE NAME OF THE GAME.... quoting out of context AGAIN... i thought you were passed that... clearly i was wrong
The original exchange actually refers to how the SFu name is more consistant with the name of the game in the 1871 ‘laws’, the name of the game being Football of course.
Your reading ability really is atrocious (that means sh*t btw).

Dont be so hard on yourself... self education is hard.. but im sure you can manage...
Harder for some than others:
Te Kaha said:
But more often than now the simplest explanation is the correct one, lex parsimoniae.
Te Kaha said:
The law of parsimony isnt relevant to this... that was a reference so even you could google Occam's razor... which is VERY relevant.
:lol: Its funny 'cos you still dont know.
To you maybe.. still doesnt make it true.

Know the Game: Rugby Union. Published by the rfu.
hth.

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
Really? The irFb has changed its constitution and on more than one occasion. They have even changed the name of the game in the ‘Laws’. Please read the thread.
They changed the consitution to say the game is "Rugby Union"? is that your claim?? and its in the "Laws"?

If this is the case why havent you provided refernces to this??? State the Law number that has "Rugby Union" in it, since you already have a link to the lawbook that should be easy for you (if its true)... provide a link to anything that shows the constitution defines the game as "Rugby Union"... you keep making these claims, but you provide no proof...

So you claim again.. but you still havent provided anythign that shows the IRB changed its constitution to define the game as "Rugby Union".. therefore you are wrong.

..Other than the 1958 irFb Resolution banning contact with Rugby, you mean?
And where in that resolution did it say "The name of the game is Rugby Union"???

The original exchange actually refers to how the SFu name is more consistant with the name of the game in the 1871 ‘laws’, the name of the game being Football of course.
Your reading ability really is atrocious (that means sh*t btw).
Which still bears no relevance to the IRB defining the name of the game as "Rugby Union"... you can harp on all you like but until you can provide any evidence that shows at anytime the IRB, in its constitution, defined the game as "Rugby Union" the rest means nothing.

Harder for some than others:

Im sure... but with a little help i bet you can get there.

Know the Game: Rugby Union. Published by the rfu.
hth.
You can pull as many book titles out of your arse as you like... but until you can provide any evidence that the IRB EVER defined the name of the game as "Rugby Union" you are only speaking out of said arse.

You have repeatedly stated that the IRB prefers the name "Rugby Union"... yet cant explain why they havent amended the constitution, which is the basis of their entire organisation, to read:
"Game means rugby UNION football played in accordance with the Laws of the Game." instead of:
"Game means rugby football played in accordance with the Laws of the Game. "

Since that would immediatly change the name of the game... untill they do, the name of the game is "Rugby Football" or simply "Rugby"... it is not "Rugby Union".

joedynamo

Juniors

Te Kaha said:
"unionite" so very lame....
Best six bob bait.ever.

Its been said before, but since you seem to to comprehend, the use of the term "Rugby Union" is used for differniating the code.. no differnt to a nic name...
As you say, I comprehend very well. Why didn’t they just use their name as defined at their birth in 1871?

however the IRB didnt intend for it to be the name otherwise they would have defined the game as "Rugby Union" NOT as "Rugby Football".... get it????
Yea, Im not sure you do tho.
The rfu defined the game as Football.....get it???? They couldn’t call it the game of Rugby Football in 1871 as that name referred to the Rugby Rules – a handling code which clubs used to play Football using a, more or less, common set of rules.

The irFb would’nt steal the name rugby football until some years later. Quite a lot later.

or is that to hard for you?... you still cant explain why that is... its clear the IRB consider the game they run is "Rugby Football" and not "Rugby Union" as you maintain.
Trust me Te, you don’t make it hard for me at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

No ... i "cried" liar because you lied.
Did I?? Or is this another one of those statements which you write but don’t actually understand.

And what other "Rugby" codes are in existance today??? Just one... gridion? Touch? neither use "Rugby" so its used to differniate one other code.
So rugby union is the preferred name rugby union uses to distinguish itself. Who’da thought.

They codified it in 1871... all clubs agreed to play under those rules. Just because some games since then have been played under variations of those rules doesnt make it "uncodified”
So all rfu teams played under the same rules..apart from those that didn’t pmpl.

.... before then all the clubs had their own rules.. afterwards they didnt.. how hard is it to understand???
Obviously too hard for you Te.
Please read and comprehend the whole post before you reply with that , liar, liar, pants on fire thing you like to do.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Why didn’t they just use their name as defined at their birth in 1871?
Because they changed it... one thing they didnt change it to is "Rugby Union" ... which is what you keep claiming they did... when they didnt.

The rfu defined the game as Football.....get it???? They couldn’t call it the game of Rugby Football in 1871 as that name referred to the Rugby Rules – a handling code which clubs used to play Football using a, more or less, common set of rules.
And yet they still didnt call it "Rugby Union"

The irFb would’nt steal the name rugby football until some years later. Quite a lot later.
And who did they "steal" it from???

Did I?? Or is this another one of those statements which you write but don’t actually understand.
You stated i said something i didnt... its a lie, no amount of weaseling will from you will change that.

So rugby union is the preferred name rugby union uses to distinguish itself. Who’da thought.
a name uses a name to distinguish itself??? you seriously cant be that stupid to believe that.. surely!!

So all rfu teams played under the same rules..apart from those that didn’t pmpl.
When the rfu was formed all clubs under them used the rules that were codified... no matter how many posts that statement appears you still dont get it.

Obviously too hard for you Te.
Please read and comprehend the whole post before you reply with that , liar, liar, pants on fire thing you like to do.
Again with the lies... where exactly did i "liar, liar, pants on fire thing you like to do"... you make so much sh*t up.

Te Kaha

First Grade
So why were professional rugby players banned from playing union for 100 years if the IRB thought there weren't any?

Only in your head did the IRB not think there were any Pro Rugby Players.

The IRB run Rugby... they dont run ALL Rugby, they didnt and still dont run Rugby League.

Paley

Juniors
Only in your head did the IRB not think there were any Pro Rugby Players.

The IRB run Rugby... they dont run ALL Rugby, they didnt and still dont run Rugby League.

So they run rugby but not all rugby? How does that work?

Te Kaha

First Grade
Lets look at the organisations who run these comps

Engage Rugby Super League,
Super League (Europe) Limited

Aviva Premiership.
Premier Rugby Limited

National Rugby League,
National Rugby League Ltd

Super ugby.
SANZAR(South Africa New Zealand Australia Rugby) Ltd.

No probs there, parra.

No there isnt... the Rugby Comps are controlled by orgs with simply "Rugby" in their title while the League ones have either "Rugby League" or "League" in thers.

joedynamo

Juniors

Te Kaha said:
No there isnt... the Rugby Comps are controlled by orgs with simply "Rugby" in their title while the League ones have either "Rugby League" or "League" in thers.
Actually made up of New Zealand rugby union pty, South Africa Rugby(formerly the SARU) and Australian rugby union ltd.

Two outta three aint bad..but for you Te, it'd be a miracle :lol:

Te Kaha

First Grade

Actually made up of New Zealand rugby union pty, South Africa Rugby(formerly the SARU) and Australian rugby union ltd.

Two outta three aint bad..but for you Te, it'd be a miracle :lol:

Big f**ken deal...Its you who are wrong. You truely are dummer than pig snot... I have been giving you wayyyyyy to much credit... SANZAR ltd is NOT "made up" of its combined unions... those unions have equal shares in SANZAR Ltd... SANZAR ltd control the comp... my statement IS correct...

And as usual.. you missed the rest of the post, since it makes your post look like the drivel it is...

The simple fact is, the name of the Game is "Rugby Football".. it has been shortened to "Rugby"... what it isnt is "Rugby Union"

joedynamo

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
And as usual.. you missed the rest of the post, since it makes your post look like the drivel it is...
Prolly cos, like everyone else, I was too busy laughing at another te-ism.
Dont ever change bud, the world needs laughter.

The simple fact is, the name of the Game is "Rugby Football".. it has been shortened to "Rugby"... what it isnt is "Rugby Union"
The 2011 Super 15 appears to be called super ugby..Looks like Paley was wrong earlier in the thread when he said that unionites couldnt put two words together...

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
Prolly cos, like everyone else, I was too busy laughing at another te-ism.
Dont ever change bud, the world needs laughter.
Seems you are the only person laughing... special needs people often do laugh at anything... it makes sense really.

The 2011 Super 15 appears to be called super ugby..Looks like Paley was wrong earlier in the thread when he said that unionites couldnt put two words together...

Really??? since its one word it doesnt seem to say that at all... but then being special needs im sure lots of things appear to be something other than what they are...

And since you have given up the "fight" i can only assume you now agree that the name of the game is "Rugby" and that you are posting in a vain attempt to validate your worth in your mind... and such a "special" mind it is...

Te Kaha

First Grade
:lol:

You're not really up to this are ya fella.

Why? you're big on semantics... your entire post history in this thread is full of it... what i said IS correct.. and posting little laughing emotes shows you really dont have any comeback.