What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why do people call RU, 'rugby'??

Paley

Juniors
The first of the codes has first rights to the name.. anybody with more than a modicum of intelligence would understand that...

and the simple fact is that League spawned from the RFU... it even used the same rules that the RFU codified... so its clear.. Rugby has the first rights to the name League the second.

The first of the codes was the game first codified, written down and published at Rugby School. Both rugby and union are variations on that game. I am not sure why you keep banging on about the Northern Union clubs briefly using the RFU rules. It is clear to any rational, sensible, person that neither rugby nor union has first rights to the word "rugby"

Parra

Referee
The first of the codes was the game first codified, written down and published at Rugby School. Both rugby and union are variations on that game. I am not sure why you keep banging on about the Northern Union clubs briefly using the RFU rules. It is clear to any rational, sensible, person that neither rugby nor union has first rights to the word "rugby"

But people call RU rugby. So here we are.

The question posed is not "should people call RU rugby?" or "do people call RU rugby?"

It is why?

They do. Hardly matters why.

Te Kaha

First Grade

So the code of Rugby football they play at Rugby school has the first rights to the name... excellent... im sure the RFU and IRB will be happy you agree their code has the first rights.

Paley

Juniors
So the code of Rugby football they play at Rugby school has the first rights to the name... excellent... im sure the RFU and IRB will be happy you agree their code has the first rights.

According to your theory that the first organisation to codify the rules has first rights then Rugby School has first rights. However your theory is incorrect.

joedynamo

Juniors
To you maybe... doesnt make it true.

Wheres those legal documents with "rugby union" in the name??
What, like a list of court cases that name the Welsh rugby union ltd as a defendant? How about Staffordshire rugby union ltd ? Or a little closer to you, Mount Isa rugby union Club inc?
Hth. :thumb

Te Kaha

First Grade
According to your theory that the first organisation to codify the rules has first rights then Rugby School has first rights. However your theory is incorrect.
Is it really that hard a concept to grasp??? the first rugby code has the first rights... despite what you think, Rugby school considers Rugby to be that code... so it has first rights.

Paley

Juniors
Is it really that hard a concept to grasp??? the first rugby code has the first rights... despite what you think, Rugby school considers Rugby to be that code... so it has first rights.

The Rugby School rules as written and published was the first rugby code but nobody plays that anymore. Rugby and Union both draw on those rules but neither is played to those rules.

You grab onto something on a website and dont let it go... doesnt make you right...

What is the LEGAL name of the game? the one used in the ALL the IRBs legal and finncial documents?? its either "Rugby" or "Rugby Football".. that is the games LEGAL name... got it dumbarse.

Your name is henceforth "Gaylord f**kwit"... it might not be your legal name, but under your reasoning since its on a website it must be true.

Sure, when you're officially crowned the governing body of internet forums, you can then decide what my name online will be. Until then, just stick to dribbling.

Your sanity is under real question in this thread.

The governing body of the game calls the game Rugby Union. It's on their website, it's in their rule book.

Why are you constantly barking about legal documents you wound-up nutbag?

The name of the game is Rugby Union.

If a potential fan goes to the IRB website, what do you think he's going to see with regards to the name of the actual game?

If any coach downloads the rule book, what is the name of the game on that rule book?

I'll give you a hint, it aint Rugby you f**king fruitloop.

Te Kaha

First Grade
The Rugby School rules as written and published was the first rugby code but nobody plays that anymore. Rugby and Union both draw on those rules but neither is played to those rules.

If they original "rugby code" as you call it no longer exists then its claim becomes non existant, then the next code that played Rugby football has first rights to the name. and thats the code the RFU was in charge of.

Sure, when you're officially crowned the governing body of internet forums, you can then decide what my name online will be. Until then, just stick to dribbling.

Your sanity is under real question in this thread.

The governing body of the game calls the game Rugby Union. It's on their website, it's in their rule book.

Why are you constantly barking about legal documents you wound-up nutbag?

The name of the game is Rugby Union.

If a potential fan goes to the IRB website, what do you think he's going to see with regards to the name of the actual game?

If any coach downloads the rule book, what is the name of the game on that rule book?

I'll give you a hint, it aint Rugby you f**king fruitloop.
and no matter how many times a pissant like you Gaylord says that, it doesnt make it true... anybody can give anything a name, like yours now being "Gaylord f**kwit"... its on a website, so according to you it must be true.
I "Bark on" about the legal name, you insignificant moron, because under the eyes of the law a "legal" name given to something IS its name.
The law recognises the "International Rugby Board"
The law recognises the "Rugby Football Union"
The law recognises the "Rugby World Cup"
The law recognises the "International Rugby Players Association"
The law recognises "SANZAR"(South Africa New Zealand Australia Rugby)
The law recognises "The IRB Pacific Rugby Cup"
The law in no way recognises "Rugby Union" as a name for any of those.

So under the eyes of the Law Gaylord the name of the code is "Rugby".

Paley

Juniors
If they original "rugby code" as you call it no longer exists then its claim becomes non existant, then the next code that played Rugby football has first rights to the name. and thats the code the RFU was in charge of.

Nobody plays the game as codified by the RFU at the time either.

So the union ban for 100 years on professional rugby players was fraudulent?

joedynamo

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
I "Bark on" about the legal name, you insignificant moron, because under the eyes of the law a "legal" name given to something IS its name.
So much for using logic and reason as per the sticky at the top of the rugby union forum...

Te Kaha said:

The legal name of a business is the name under which the business conducts its operations
Welsh rugby union ltd, Australian rugby union ltd, Queensland rugby union ltd...etc etc. It seems the 'Law', just like the irb, also recognises rugby union - Would you like to amend the list in your previous post?

Last edited:

and no matter how many times a pissant like you Gaylord says that, it doesnt make it true... anybody can give anything a name, like yours now being "Gaylord f**kwit"... its on a website, so according to you it must be true.
The law recognises the "International Rugby Board"
The law recognises the "Rugby Football Union"
The law recognises the "Rugby World Cup"
The law recognises the "International Rugby Players Association"
The law recognises "SANZAR"(South Africa New Zealand Australia Rugby)
The law recognises "The IRB Pacific Rugby Cup"

lol

FMD, you're barking mad. You must be getting a chemical imbalance from licking too many tainted windows.

Here, I'll post it for you again.

unionrulebookcover.jpg

Feel free to take your argument up with the IRB, the governing body of Rugby Union worldwide, who call the game Rugby Union.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Nobody plays the game as codified by the RFU at the time either.

Yes they do, its played all over the world. The rules may have been amended over the years but its still the same game.

So the union ban for 100 years on professional rugby players was fraudulent?
Hypocritical yes, unwarrented maybe, Fradulent no.. the key word there is professional... they were banned because they played professional Rugby... nobody on here is denying that.
However they organisation that formed the new code broke away from the parent. The parent remains, therefore the parent has first rights to the name.

So much for using logic and reason as per the sticky at the top of the rugby union forum...
I know its a stretch but logic and reason can be your friend... you arent a god botherer are you? that would explain your lack of logic..

Welsh rugby union ltd, Australian rugby union ltd, Queensland rugby union ltd...etc etc. It seems the 'Law', just like the irb, also recognises rugby union - Would you like to amend the list in your previous post?
f**k me dead... i REALLY gave you to much credit... i actually thought you were quite intelligent... sh*t was i wrong!!!

Those are the names of the governing organisations.... NOT the name of the code or game... had you quoted the entire post and not selectivly quoting it, the context of that sentence would have been clear. The post showed that the IRB doesnt call the game "Rugby Unon".

Selective quoting to change context is very lame.

Another quick question for you... since you are so fond of them..

Several years ago the IRB and several Unions dropped "Football" from their names... IF they thought that "Rugby Union" was the name of the code and not "Rugby" why didnt they add "Union" to their documentation at the same time??? if they believed that was the name then surely the would have changed it then.

Te Kaha

First Grade
lol

FMD, you're barking mad. You must be getting a chemical imbalance from licking too many tainted windows.

Here, I'll post it for you again.

unionrulebookcover.jpg

Feel free to take your argument up with the IRB, the governing body of Rugby Union worldwide, who call the game Rugby Union.

Why would i need to Gaylord? they dont call it "Rugby Unon" no matter how many times you say it.

Ther IRB defines the game: Game means rugby football played in accordance with the Laws of the
Game.
It doesnt say "Rugby Union".. so once again you are wrong.

Last edited:

joedynamo

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
I know its a stretch but logic and reason can be your friend... you arent a god botherer are you? that would explain your lack of logic..
Insults and hypocrisy? A certain unionite is losing the debate again.:lol:

Those are the names of the governing organisations.... NOT the name of the code or game... had you quoted the entire post and not selectivly quoting it, the context of that sentence would have been clear. The post showed that the IRB doesnt call the game "Rugby Unon".
Nooooo, those are the Legal names of the governing organisations and, funnily enough, they ALL include the word union. I could also have mentioned the rfu website which proudly states that it is:[the] Official Website of the rfu, governing body of the game of rugby union in England.
The rfu is the governing body, the game is rugby union.

You’re not really up to this, are ya fella. The irb makes lots of references to the Game of rugby union, some even in its handbook and on its website. But then Roughyed and Everlovin Antichrist have already pointed that to you.
It was after that you started whinging about legal names.

Several years ago the IRB and several Unions dropped "Football" from their names... IF they thought that "Rugby Union" was the name of the code and not "Rugby" why didnt they add "Union" to their documentation at the same time??? if they believed that was the name then surely the would have changed it then.
Dunno, rugby union has such a schizo past its sometimes hard to know..Lets look to the irb handbook for guidance:

Rugby Union is a sport which involves physical contact.
Hth.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Insults and hypocrisy? A certain unionite is losing the debate again.:lol:
hey you started throwing the insults... i just played along...

Nooooo, those are the Legal names of the governing organisations and, funnily enough, they ALL include the word union. I could also have mentioned the rfu website which proudly states that it is:[the] Official Website of the rfu, governing body of the game of rugby union in England.
The rfu is the governing body, the game is rugby union.
You and Gaylord can keep harping on about what websites say until you are blue in the face.. doesnt change anything...
The word Union is used only describe the type of organisation.. that hasnt changed since the RFU was formed...
Until the IRB decides to change its consititution the game they are playing is "Rugby Football" or simply "Rugby". And since all their comps they are starting only include the word "Rugby" in them.. not "Rugby Union" thats not likely to happen.

You’re not really up to this, are ya fella. The irb makes lots of references to the Game of rugby union, some even in its handbook and on its website. But then Roughyed and Everlovin Antichrist have already pointed that to you.
It was after that you started whinging about legal names.
It makes references only to differentiate the game to make sure anybody reading the site doesnt mistake it for another code... doesnt make it the name of the game... If the International Rugby Board wanted to name the code Rugby Union they would have changed their name to the International Rugby Union Board and amended their constitution... neither of those has been done so the name of the game isnt "Rugby Union".

Dunno, rugby union has such a schizo past its sometimes hard to know..Lets look to the irb handbook for guidance:
Of course the simplist explaination is that they werent changing the name of the game. It remains, as it always has, as "Rugby Football" or "Rugby".

joedynamo

Juniors
Te Kaha said:
hey you started throwing the insults... i just played along...
Yea, yea ;-)

You and can keep harping on about what websites say until you are blue in the face.. doesnt change anything...
The word Union is used only describe the type of organisation.. that hasnt changed since the RFU was formed...
Really? Paley’s book, Football: The rugby union game, was first printed in 1892. Note the date.
The term rugby union is obviously in use by the early 1890’s and had the approval of the Chief unionite himself.

And oh yea, the rfu is just an organisation, got it.

Until the IRB decides to change its consititution the game they are playing is "Rugby Football" or simply "Rugby". And since all their comps they are starting only include the word "Rugby" in them.. not "Rugby Union" thats not likely to happen.
Cool,all ya have to do now is burn any books that reference R.U (you can have my copy of the History of the laws of rugby union football 1949 - 1972), along with Rugby records and other media since 1871.
Once you’ve done that, all that remains is to tell everyone to jolly well stop using the term rugby union in relation to, well, rugby union.
Good luck with that.

It makes references only to differentiate the game to make sure anybody reading the site doesnt mistake it for another code...doesnt make it the name of the game...
So you are stating that rugby union is the correct irb/ rfu preferred name one should use to differentiate between it and the other codes...Excellent!

If the International Rugby Board wanted to name the code Rugby Union they would have changed their name to the International Rugby Union Board and amended their constitution...neither of those has been done so the name of the game isnt "Rugby Union".
Of course not. They just choose to publish books like rules of the GAME: rugby union, and use the name to describe their game.

As I asked two(ish) pages ago, do you know when and why the irFb changed the name of its Laws?
Of course the simplist explaination is that they werent changing the name of the game. It remains, as it always has, as "Rugby Football" or "Rugby".
..and the simplest explanations often hide big fat lies.

According to you, the governing body isn’t the game, its just an organisation. Remember this:

The Laws of the Game of Football as played by the rfu.

So what game were you playing from 1871 onwards?

Last edited:

Te Kaha

First Grade
Yea, yea ;-)
I would prefer not to throw insults.. but if you want to i can stoop to your level... it is after all only the internet, and as i have said earlier, anybody who takes something written on a messageboard seriously... needs help.

Really? Paley’s book, Football: The rugby union game, was first printed in 1892. Note the date.
The term rugby union is obviously in use by the early 1890’s and had the approval of the Chief unionite himself.
So the term rugby union was around... its hardly surprising since the name of the governing organisation was the Rugby Football Union.... however it still doesnt make it the name of the game.

And oh yea, the rfu is just an organisation, got it.
The Rugby Football Union is just an organisation.

Cool,all ya have to do now is burn any books that reference R.U (you can have my copy of the History of the laws of rugby union football 1949 - 1972), along with Rugby records and other media since 1871.
Once you’ve done that, all that remains is to tell everyone to jolly well stop using the term rugby union in relation to, well, rugby union.
Good luck with that.

Why would i want to burn books??? and why would i care if people use the name "Rugby Union" to describe the game... if you had read the thread from the begining... which its becoming more clear you havent... i previously stated that people can call the game anything they want to.. it doesnt change anything and it doesnt make them right.

So you are stating that rugby union is the correct irb/ rfu preferred name one should use to differentiate between it and the other codes...Excellent!
No i didnt say that... work on your comprehension. I said it wasnt the preferred name.. otherwise they would have changed it to it... they havent.

Of course not. They just choose to publish books like rules of the GAME: rugby union, and use the name to describe their game.
No different than a nic name... doesnt make it a legally valid name... can you get a passport using a nic name? a drivers liceince? no you cant.. you need a birth cert with your legal name on it. The name of the game, in the eyes of the law, is "Rugby Football".

As I asked two(ish) pages ago, do you know when and why the irFb changed the name of its Laws?
And i didnt answer because its not relevant... but if you feel the need to show you percieved interlect, then feel free to post it.

..and the simplest explanations often hide big fat lies.

But more often than now the simplest explanation is the correct one, lex parsimoniae.

According to you, the governing body isn’t the game, its just an organisation. Remember this:
The Laws of the Game of Football as played by the rfu.
So what game were you playing from 1871 onwards?
That would be Rugby Football... havent you been keeping up???

RFU is the organisation of a sport that has the key word in it's title: union. Likewise the RFL is an organisation of a sport with a key word in the sports title: League

Paley

Juniors
Yes they do, its played all over the world. The rules may have been amended over the years but its still the same game.

It's called rugby league

The post showed that the IRB doesnt call the game "Rugby Unon".

Does the IRB regard the NRL as a rugby competition?

Last edited:

Latest posts