What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Kogarah Oval not rectangular?

Might be:

(a) The money was not there to do so;
(b) The Dragons only play around 6 games there a year; and
(c) Other sports use it, probably including cricket.

As the ground is owned by the local council, and not the Dragons, how could they justify changing it to a rectangular field?

JamesRustle

First Grade
It's shape follows ancient markings from the first nations people who first inhabited the area, and is believed to have been used as an abattoir for gummy sharks dragged back from the port hacking river.

gregstar

Referee
This is indeed a most perplexing mystery which has consumed much of my time.

I have contacted the NRL & they have assured me that they have been seeking an answer for many years across 3 different enquiries & commissions. Indeed, they have hired investigators who are working in shifts.

If any forum members have any information whatsoever, please relay it to the relevant authorities.

Emu01

Juniors
Kogarah oval was actually a cricket oval.I forgot his name but some one left the land to the local council. He said he would donate the land under the proviso that they played cricket there.

It had a cricket wicket in the middle of the ground for years. It might explain why it's a oval and not rectangular.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The original query is why wasn't the ground reconfigured into a rectangular footy friendly arena when the new stands were built a few years ago.