What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why is Kogarah Oval not rectangular?

JamesRustle

First Grade
It hasn't been the same for me since they stopped playing that Newmans of Kogarah.... down Rocky Point Road jingle over the crackly pa system.

undertaker

Coach
Kogarah oval was actually a cricket oval.I forgot his name but some one left the land to the local council. He said he would donate the land under the proviso that they played cricket there.

It had a cricket wicket in the middle of the ground for years. It might explain why it's a oval and not rectangular.

OT (as this post is related moreso to cricket than NRL)

Very interesting you mention this Emu01, as I have wondered for the last couple of months during summer whether Kogarah Oval was large enough to host cricket matches.

With Australia hosting the World T20 tournament in 2020, Kogarah Oval would be a good place to host the preliminary/qualifying matches (before the Super 10 stage) involving the Hong Kong side. Given the large Cantonese community in the south of Sydney, I'm sure several of them would come out and support them, especially if it was a warm-up game against the NSW side, or playing a test nation like Bangladesh that would bring a lot of supporters like they did in the 2015 World Cup. Got much better facilities and more seating than Hurstville Oval, which is a bonus.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
Chinese live in Hurstville
Hurstville oval is way easier to get them to go to.
I've worked in the area for ever
Before the Chinese came along .
I work with them now.
I've had to hire Chinese people for interpreting.

They aren't big on sport around here.
Especially cricket

Chinese live in Hurstville
Hurstville oval is way easier to get them to go to.
I've worked in the area for ever
Before the Chinese came along .
I work with them now.
I've had to hire Chinese people for interpreting.

They aren't big on sport around here.
Especially cricket
I lived in china for a while, cricket is food to Chinese

Lambretta

First Grade
The original query is why wasn't the ground reconfigured into a rectangular footy friendly arena when the new stands were built a few years ago.

So is the stadium unfriendly, the pitch unfriendly or the crowd unfriendly?

Maybe it's all this rain we've been having and the fact there's no roof
That's what they should have built. A roof. An oval one.

carcharias

Immortal
So is the stadium unfriendly, the pitch unfriendly or the crowd unfriendly?

Maybe it's all this rain we've been having and the fact there's no roof
That's what they should have built. A roof. An oval one.
Just a roof over the fields dimension though.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Personally I think keep the oval shape at the north end, straighten both sides, and then maybe bring in the central point of the southern end just a little bit, so it's like a rounded W..