What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Women's NRL

siv

First Grade
Touch v LeagueTag discussion here on the CC

Touch was seen as a summer thing todo between seasons. And women teams were invited. Causal teams played in a casual off season comp played for limited number of weeks

While LeagueTag has been arranged on winter RL season game days and is part of the main RL match day program

Its this better management and being played in winter that seems to be the big success. Plus slightly better rules

Plus playing in your local club colours for girl family members

Stallion

First Grade
Thanks mate - is league tag aligned with the NRL like touch football is?

Yes. Leaguetag is featured throughout NSW country rugby league competitions for sometime now as part of a local game day experience. Newcastle being the last centre to take it up. Its potential to attract kids is immense! As a teacher I have canvassed many mums and dads and they are very keen for their kids to play this 'introductory " version of rugby league in primary schools . Both Catholic and Public.

Last edited:

Stallion

First Grade
Touch v LeagueTag discussion here on the CC

Touch was seen as a summer thing todo between seasons. And women teams were invited. Causal teams played in a casual off season comp played for limited number of weeks

While LeagueTag has been arranged on winter RL season game days and is part of the main RL match day program

Its this better management and being played in winter that seems to be the big success. Plus slightly better rules

Plus playing in your local club colours for girl family members

Agree with all of what you have informed, particularly the "slightly better rules" comment. I would suggest the rules are very much a feature of Leaguetag's success and growth. Would love to see touch football reinvigorate itself with the original play the ball with foot rule.It would make so much more of a positive difference for enjoying that sport and ofcourse a greater familiarity and synergy with rugby league from which it sprouted. Maybe one day! ?

T-Boon

Coach
Would love to see touch football reinvigorate itself with the original play the ball with foot rule.It would make so much more of a positive difference for enjoying that sport and ofcourse a greater familiarity and synergy with rugby league from which it sprouted.?

They could also bring in a marker. I like the ruck plays they have in touch where the player playing the ball stays alive and often gets the ball back from the dummy half but that would look even better if they bamboozled a marker. They sort of look like they are shadow boxing when they do it now.

Stallion

First Grade
They could also bring in a marker. I like the ruck plays they have in touch where the player playing the ball stays alive and often gets the ball back from the dummy half but that would look even better if they bamboozled a marker. They sort of look like they are shadow boxing when they do it now.

Agree. But even some progress with the foot being involved in the play the ball instead of a dump and run is better than none. But yes the marker in play would be more intriguing as well. I surmise that avoiding some physical confrontation was the reason why the marker was lost. So for the sake of gaining a decent play the ball maybe that element can be still excluded?

Nuke

Staff member
LeagueTag / OzTag are, I believe, not officially aligned with the NRL. Touch is, which is why it was rebranded NRL Touch several years ago. Tag was offered the opportunity to also join up at the same time, but for whatever reason decided to go it alone.

Stallion

First Grade
LeagueTag / OzTag are, I believe, not officially aligned with the NRL. Touch is, which is why it was rebranded NRL Touch several years ago. Tag was offered the opportunity to also join up at the same time, but for whatever reason decided to go it alone.

Interesting . Leaguetag has been incorporated into all country rugby league competitions when all age play?Surely that must mean that their is some official link ? Ladies leaguetag is booming in both senior rugby-league competitions in Newcastle. It's played in a lead up game prior to or after first grade and in the pub comp games. Wonder what status it does have?

Reactions: siv
Leaguetag was invented by the CRL and is included in all of its participation figures, and therefore is also included in the NRL's national figures. Luckily, otherwise they'd be even worse. Oztag tried to sue the CRL claiming copyright over the use of the Velcro and tag system but didn't get anywhere. The NRL spent a shitload on touch so they could also further fudge their participation figures.

Stallion

First Grade
Leaguetag was invented by the CRL and is included in all of its participation figures, and therefore is also included in the NRL's national figures. Luckily, otherwise they'd be even worse. Oztag tried to sue the CRL claiming copyright over the use of the Velcro and tag system but didn't get anywhere. The NRL spent a shitload on touch so they could also further fudge their participation figures.

Funnily and disappointingly enough the ARL knocked back an approach from touch football to affiliate with rugby league in the 1990s! This does show the administrations lack of forethought and business accumen. (From memory I think touch footy still had play the ball with the foot rule about as well!)Yes the administrators have been making some monumental mistakes. LEAGUETAG was finally a good one. I suggest they bring on board OZTAG as well. The touch football affiliation needs to bring back a real play the ball and not a "dump and run" play as seen nowadays.

Last edited:
What did they spend it on? Logos on uniforms? I haven't seen many other changes.
Do you think touch just gave their whole sport to the NRL for nothing? Especially given they changed their name to divorce themselves even further from football of any code previously. Regardless, it's rugby league money being spent on another sport that isn't rugby league and never will be just so the NRL can say they have all these "participants". When the VFL does this with Auskick we ridicule it.

Vee

First Grade
Do you think touch just gave their whole sport to the NRL for nothing? Especially given they changed their name to divorce themselves even further from football of any code previously. Regardless, it's rugby league money being spent on another sport that isn't rugby league and never will be just so the NRL can say they have all these "participants". When the VFL does this with Auskick we ridicule it.
Sand in your vagina much?

unforgiven

Bench
Funnily and disappointingly enough the ARL knocked back an approach from touch football to affiliate with rugby league in the 1990s! This does show the administrations lack of forethought and business accumen. (From memory I think touch footy still had play the ball with the foot rule about as well!)Yes the administrators have been making some monumental mistakes. LEAGUETAG was finally a good one. I suggest they bring on board OZTAG as well. The touch football affiliation needs to bring back a real play the ball and not a "dump and run" play as seen nowadays.

Oztag is, I believe, a private company owned and operated for profit

It's Barry

Juniors
Leaguetag was actually invented in WA when the women’s tackle comp folded. First season was 2002. CRL’s involvement wasn’t until around 2011.

Leaguetag was actually invented in WA when the women’s tackle comp folded. First season was 2002. CRL’s involvement wasn’t until around 2011.
I don't know about WA but CRL comps started well before 2011. The first one here was in 2008 and the Riverina groups started before that.

Stallion

First Grade
I don't know about WA but CRL comps started well before 2011. The first one here was in 2008 and the Riverina groups started before that.

Intriguing stuff. It's a bonus for the code anyway! I think Perry Haddock started up OZTAG in the Cronulla area? Not sure though. You wonder why the ARL or whomever could not see the potential back then to harness this very simliar version of rugby league for development? Their are some pretty incompetent people within rugby league's administrative ranks from what I'm noticing.

It's Barry

Juniors
Cool. Don’t mind being wrong :) 2012/13 was when I first heard of it being played outside of the affiliated states and obviously fed incorrect information.

Latest posts