What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worst NSW Team in Origin History

Joe's Magpies

Juniors
THE Blues have become a State of Origin basketcase in recent seasons, but NSW's interstate fortunes officially hit rock bottom when their squad was announced at 5pm last Sunday.
As a proud Blue who grew up idolising the wizardry of Peter Sterling and the toughness of Ray Price, it pains me to say it - but the class of 2011 is the worst team in NSW Origin history.

It is worse than the squad whipped 3-0 last season. Worse than the 1995 Blues outfit which fell to Paul Vautin's Maroons, the biggest underdogs in Origin history. And unquestionably worse than the 1988-89 NSW outfits who suffered clean sweeps in consecutive years as Wally Lewis ran riot.

It is not just an appraisal based on the names that will appear in Origin I next Wednesday night. It is the wider selection philosophy, the swift disposal of stars considered NSW's future and the mystifying snubbing of players whom Queensland would consider tailormade for Origin football.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Just 12 months ago, Luke Lewis, Jarryd Hayne, Tom Learoyd-Lahrs and Jamal Idris were considered key planks in NSW's restoration plan.

On Wednesday night, they will be watching Origin I from their living rooms.

Given the Blues' failures under former coach Craig Bellamy, it is understandable that his successor, Ricky Stuart, would seek to wipe the slate clean armed with fresh ideas and a fresh vision to dismantle the most gifted Queensland side in Origin history.

No-one can dispute Stuart's passion. In that sense, there is no better candidate to revive the Blues. He is a brilliant motivator. But the selection policy over which he has presided is seriously flawed.

The omission of Hayne is just one gaffe. Who will forget his incredible 50-metre solo try on debut in 2007, which ranks among Origin's great four-pointers? Queensland would fear him at any second. For Stuart to suggest he is a five-eighth is to forget Hayne was so impotent in the No.6 jumper his club side, Parramatta, shifted him to fullback.

And where is Luke Lewis? Privately, several Maroons who played with Lewis during last year's Four Nations rate him one of the NRL's most valuable utilities. Yet the Blues have overlooked him for Beau Scott, who was towelled up in the centres last year by Greg Inglis and has yet to prove he is a representative-quality player.

NSW's 10-man forward pack, including utility Dean Young on their four-man bench, has played a total of 27 Origin matches - the same number as Maroons prop Petero Civoniceva.

Eels warhorse Nathan Hindmarsh, a veteran of 17 Origin matches and 22 Tests, is widely regarded in NSW as yesterday's man.

At 30, he is five years younger than Civoniceva.

The NSW teams of 1988-89 may have been flogged 3-0 but they contained players of the ilk of Sterling, Michael O'Connor, Wayne Pearce, Steve Roach, Benny Elias, John Ferguson, Andrew Ettingshausen, Paul Sironen, Glenn Lazarus and Mark Geyer.

The current Blues wouldn't hold a candle to that crew. What Ricky Stuart would give to have those names running out next Wednesday night.

Courier-Mail sportswriter Peter Badel is Sydney-born and bred

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-origin-history/story-e6frexv9-1226058604245

What does everyone think of the article. Do you agree, is he way off the mark. Discuss

18to87

First Grade
Crickey lets just wait until the game is played. There is a bridge in talent between QLD and NSW no matter who is picked. This years Blues are hoping to play better as a team rather than try to win with individual brilliance.

Goddo

Bench
Meh, he is spewing crap to stir people up. I hate the huge amount of trolling in Newspapers. this has Rothfield all over it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
haven't played yet so how could anyone know

the poms said that about our 89 test team, "worst team the leave the Australian shores" and the poms lost 4 zip

Hutty1986

Immortal
What about some of the greats in 08/09-Williams, Turner, etc? Sh*t stirring article and completely wrong.

SDM

First Grade
I agree, terrible side, both their centres are out, so we pick a backline with only 1 threat, and stick with players like Morris, Creagh and Jennings who have proved over and over again that they dont belong on this stage

Patorick

Staff member
Steve Turner, Anthony Quinn, Ryan Hoffman and Ben Cross say the 2008 side was much worse.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Crock of shit article. Judge at the end of the series.
I seem to remember the Queensland team of 2006 was pretty widely panned before they began their period of dominance.

j0nesy

Bench
Lewis is not match fit, one game before orgin is not enough. Hayne was unlucky, it was 50/50 between he and Dugan, and I agree with the policy not to play players out of position. Lahrs should have been picked over King, or perhaps Tolman, could name atleast 5. Idris is a weak imobile defender, if he was going to play it would be from the bench. So overall we couldnt have chosen a much better team.

SDM

First Grade
If you have got best on ground from that position in SOO, then it is not out of position. Hayne is 1000 x the left winger in SOO then Morris is.

Lewis is not match fit, one game before orgin is not enough. Hayne was unlucky, it was 50/50 between he and Dugan, and I agree with the policy not to play players out of position. Lahrs should have been picked over King, or perhaps Tolman, could name atleast 5. Idris is a weak imobile defender, if he was going to play it would be from the bench. So overall we couldnt have chosen a much better team.

If Lewis is not match fit then how can King be match fit considering he didn't even play last weekend. Hayne should have been chosen over Morris, and QLD work wonders with playing players out of position. Idris should be there over "I won't play if my wife gives birth" Gasnier. If he knew his wife was ready to give birth then why the fk did he even accept the offer to play.

Jono1987

Juniors
If Lewis is not match fit then how can King be match fit considering he didn't even play last weekend. Hayne should have been chosen over Morris, and QLD work wonders with playing players out of position. Idris should be there over "I won't play if my wife gives birth" Gasnier. If he knew his wife was ready to give birth then why the fk did he even accept the offer to play.

Did you feel the same way with Gallen and the Test match numpty? I bet not. Idris over Gasnier is just :lol:. Gasnier has shit all over Idris this year in all aspects of the game.

no name

Coach
It is no way near the worst team picked.
The problem is it isn't the best we could pick.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Let's face it. Every NSW team has been shit.......

Full of precious pea hearted merkins .......the lot of them

Trying to say this years side is any worse than the year before that
is like trying to say

what would you rather die of........aids or cancer?

GO THE MIGHTY MAROONS !!!!

273544-maroons-five.jpg

Shorty

Staff member
It's actually quite strong, but there has been players overlooked that possibly already put NSW on the back foot.
I find it ironic that stickhead went on that whole five eight spiel with regard to Hayne, yet, Soward plays very well with Boyd, who plays more like a five-eight.
Evidently even with that, Queensland still finds it capable to put a fullback on the wing.

Latest posts