What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Y.N.W.A Thread III: Enter 'The Normal One'

saint.nick

Coach
I didn't watch the game but saw the team selection and didn't like it. Gigi was okay in midfield against Arsenal because Arsenal leave themselves a lot more open. Burnley were never going to do that. People watch the ball rather than the game, and that's why Hendo gets bagged so much. But Hendo's ability to protect the back 4 had nothing to do with that second goal. For the first goal, he can't protect it all by himself, the guy is trying to plug gaps everywhere, that's why we need Can. I know he's not perfect defensively but he's miles better than Gigi or Lallana. Also, Mignolet needs to learn how to f**king save shots. He lets in virtually every good shot that comes his way.

One criticism Klopp has to wear is his selection of Daniel Sturridge and where he played him. Sturridge is a central striker, yet Klopp played him on the right wing and left Firmino playing as the"nominal" central striker. That is just bloody crazy to say the least. I mean what is the point of having 80%+ possession in the game if you can't put away chances?

cb4

First Grade
I have a lot of criticisms of Klopp at the moment, and that is one of them.
His formation is another.
His blind loyalty to shit players is another.
His formation is another.
His inability to recruit in positions we needed are another.
We sacked of Brendan Rodgers and replaced him with a German version.
I am trying my hardest to back him.
I wanted him as he is a career coach for us. But f**k me dead he is making a bad start to his time here.

Foz

Bench
What I find had to work out is the situation where the opposition has one man making a counter attack by himself.Our negative back 4 all retreat.None of them want to make any sort of challenge they just all let the opposition run.
It's happened many times over the last few years.
Even if they foul the guy it's a better result than offering an invitation for them to have a shot at our goal.
No chance of it happening when Souness was in midfield.lol.
Lucas is dead set the only one in the squad who will take one for the team.
I'm no great fan of Lucas but you can never doubt he'll get down and dirty for the team whereas we have too many defenders who actually lack grit.
The guy on SBS made a good point about Milner checking back on his right foot too.Holds our strikers up and messes up their runs.Certainly played into Burnleys hands.

cb4

First Grade
Anyone who can be arsed, listen to Anfield Index podcast AI119
Highlights everything wrong with Klopp and his set up.

saint.nick

Coach
Anyone who can be arsed, listen to Anfield Index podcast AI119
Highlights everything wrong with Klopp and his set up.
I remember them drooling when he signed, so I do like how they've remained objective. He's no doubt made some big mistakes, but he's a smart guy and I'm optimistic he's going to learn. He didn't win 2 straight leagues because he's a bum like Rodgers.

saint.nick

Coach
What do we think of the rumoured Chinese investment?
First of all, we need to be cautious with such ideas.

Second of all, these investments make absolutely no difference if they do not provide Liverpool more revenue. Liverpool's transfer budget will not change if new owners do not find the club very lucrative sponsors for the club. City have bigger revenue than us because of the sponsorships Mansour has hooked them up with. Because of the FFP rules, we can't just rely on owner grants like Chelsea did with Abramovich to pay top fees and top wages.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They will have less affect now with FFP, missed the boat by about 10 years.

A lot depends on the conditions and do they put in their own management staff who are just a bunch of bean counters or people with footy brains and experience, or does the staff set up remain as is ?

A lot of unanswered questions. Some rumours about Spurs as well but most fans dont want it now that FFP applies.

What, if any would be the benefits ?

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
I guess the benefits would be investment in club infrastructure which I dont think counts towards ffp, youth recruitment and so on.

Also while FFP is in place, as Man City and PSG have shown, you just have to have a flimsy link to a shell company that "sponsors" your team for 100mill a season and you can get around it.

I do agree with the apprehension though, once you sell off a club to a foreign entity, there's no telling what they will do with it. Esp with the reported size of the wealth supposedly at their disposal, no bank or government in the world could force them to sell if they decided to do absolutely nothing with the club.

Of course, you wouldn't think they would buy the club and do nothing with it, you would expect they'd want to use it as a crown jewel, but you never know.

cb4

First Grade
There are so many ways around FFP it isn't funny. I have a cracking story on how a big club got around it, and how easy it is to manipulate it.

Everytime we got close, Standard Chartered just re-signed, or Dunkin Donuts would appear, or we got a car sponsor.

cb4

First Grade
First of all, we need to be cautious with such ideas.

Second of all, these investments make absolutely no difference if they do not provide Liverpool more revenue. Liverpool's transfer budget will not change if new owners do not find the club very lucrative sponsors for the club. City have bigger revenue than us because of the sponsorships Mansour has hooked them up with. Because of the FFP rules, we can't just rely on owner grants like Chelsea did with Abramovich to pay top fees and top wages.

The thing is though, those entities will easily be able to sponsor the club.
The main stand has no sponsor, a lot of our sponsors are also running out.
FFP is easily manipulated.

saint.nick

Coach
There are so many ways around FFP it isn't funny. I have a cracking story on how a big club got around it, and how easy it is to manipulate it.

Everytime we got close, Standard Chartered just re-signed, or Dunkin Donuts would appear, or we got a car sponsor.
You mean Liverpool got close to sanctions and then sponsors would come in to save the day?

You're right, a consortium most likely would be able to provide us some substantial revenue.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Didn't Citihad get busted for trying to get its brother company to sponsor its stadiums naming rights for 200 mill ?

FFP canned it and it wasn't allowed to happen, although it was a pretty blatant what they were doing

cb4

First Grade
Didn't Citihad get busted for trying to get its brother company to sponsor its stadiums naming rights for 200 mill ?

FFP canned it and it wasn't allowed to happen, although it was a pretty blatant what they were doing
Yep.
But I got told an even better one than that.