What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your clubs biggest wasted year?

innsaneink

Referee
...'78, out in straight sets after being minor prems.

My old man always reckoned the maggies did f**k all in the semis cause they'd pool all their money in summer and plonk it on emselves to make the final 5, then when they did in fact make the semis and win their bet, their goal was achieved.

MSIH

Bench
tbone10 said:
we were 6 seconds away from the premiership :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not really. It was 16 all and the Knights and their Riods were finishing all over the top of us.

1995 was gay.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Walt Flanigan said:
1993 for Canberra. Had it in the bag.

Ricky Stuart wanted to stay on the field in the last game of the regular season. In the last 10 mins while beating Parramatta 68 - 0, Stuart snapped his ankle.
Easily the best player in the comp that year, was in outstanding form. Needles to say we got cleaned up by St George and Brisbane because we offered nothing in attack.

Yep, that'd be it, 1995 was bad too, could have very easily won that comp too

Stranger

Coach
Russell Crowe's Band said:
2001- stumbled against the knights in the prelim final. could have easily won the premiership
:lol:! Yeah, you could have beat parra alright:crazy: :crazy: :sarcasm: .

2000 hurt the most.

And if Johns survived 2002, we had the premiership in the bag:(

mongoose

Coach
Stranger said:

2000 hurt the most.

And if Johns survived 2002, we had the premiership in the bag:(

2002 would have been very interesting if the dogs were there and the knights didn't lose joey. I still think the roosters would have been very tough to get past.

jamesgould

Juniors
Stranger said:

I reckon Cronulla would have taken out Parramatta in 2001 if they'd beaten the Knights.

The quality of that gf qualifier was outstanding, one of the best matches I've ever seen. Cronulla were unlucky.

As for 2002, Knights went to the dogs in the second half of the season, I'm not convinced they'd have won if Johns didn't get injured. They lost to the Dragons the week before, and were down when Johns got injured. But on the other hand, they would have won the final against the Dragos if not for a dodgy video ref call, and went within a Minichiello tackle a metre out of beating the Roosters the next week. So it's a tough one to call either way, for me.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Was he the ref? :-s

:lol: All I remember is Lamb in the bin, Seven tackles and a forward pass equalling a try.

Dodgiest premiers in history :oops:

Tommy Smith

Referee
Obviously 2003 & 2004. We were so dominant those seasons and barely lost a game away from the Origin period. That Roosters side was good enough to go down as one of the few teams to win three Premierships in a row; unfortunately hwoever we saved two of our poorer games for the GFs those years. Credit to Penrith though who also played a blinder in the 03 GF.

2001 and 2002

In our first year we were doing so well until fairly big injury toll took effect on the team dropping 8 of our last 10. Enter Terry Lamb, the club goes down the sh*tter and finishes 3rd last 2 years in a row, before we finally kick him out and Sheens comes in and in 3 years got us from 3rd last to winning a premiership.

roosters: 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2001, 1999, 1998, 1997, 1996 etc..

if we didn't win in 2002 - which at one point it looked like we wouldn't - our record in the last 30 years would of been something st george could be proud of, so many close encounters with the premiership, so many chokes which makes 2002 even more special but makes 03 and 04 so much harder to accept and the countless semi final defeats for that matter

Stranger

Coach
mongoose said:
2002 would have been very interesting if the dogs were there and the knights didn't lose joey. I still think the roosters would have been very tough to get past.
Scrap the dogs, if they fielded a team that didn't rort the cap they wouldn't have been there.

The roosters were a very good side no doubt. I hoestly thought with about 3 rounds to go we would have won the premiership.... Geez that was a rough season...

jamesgould said:
I reckon Cronulla would have taken out Parramatta in 2001 if they'd beaten the Knights.

The quality of that gf qualifier was outstanding, one of the best matches I've ever seen. Cronulla were unlucky.

As for 2002, Knights went to the dogs in the second half of the season, I'm not convinced they'd have won if Johns didn't get injured. They lost to the Dragons the week before, and were down when Johns got injured. But on the other hand, they would have won the final against the Dragos if not for a dodgy video ref call, and went within a Minichiello tackle a metre out of beating the Roosters the next week. So it's a tough one to call either way, for me.
I don't think Cronulla would have matched Parra. Parra was beating by some Johns magic in the end IMO. Of course BK and Pedan preformed as good or if not better as Johns, i think he was definately the swing in that Grand Final and GF qualifier.

We lost to the dragons whilst Joey was off didn't we? it was for the Minor Premeriship?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If they fielded a team that didn't rort the cap they wouldn't have been there? Please. Their team the following two years didn't rort the cap either and they managed to make preliminary finals and were premiers the following year.

*awaits "but it was assembled by cheating"* - don't see the relevance if they were UNDER the cap by 2003-4 - completely legal, no two ways about it.

Mr Saab

Referee
tbone10 said:
1995 the premiership should have been presented to david manson :x

Eddie Ward was the ref in 1995. He did have a shocker, but so did Manly with their poor ball handling and inability to handle the occasion.
Spud Carroll said himself that he was a mess during the game.

Latest posts