What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your clubs biggest wasted year?

mongoose

Coach
J T said:
For Newcastle, 100% definitely 2002. Definitely would've won the premiership until Johns got injured in the Qualifying Final. That would closely be followed by 2000, which I have mentioned in one of the threads on the Knights forum. 3rd would by 1998. Had a chance, were neck and neck with the Broncos (only to be edged out of minor premiership on for and against), but blundering after leading 15-0 and 16-0 against the Roosters and Bulldogs respectively (in the finals) pretty much sealed our fate.

Those would be the only 3 years where on a scale from 0-10 (after qualifying for the finals, 10 being absolute certainties to win the premiership and 0 meaning virtually bowing out in Week 1), we were rated at least an 9/10. 2002=10/10, 2000=9.5/10, 1998=9/10

stop pulling it, 10/10 certainties to win it in 2002? didn't you lose to the shakrs that year 66 - 14? No team has won the premiership after having 50 put on them.

jamesgould

Juniors
Stranger said:
I don't think Cronulla would have matched Parra. Parra was beating by some Johns magic in the end IMO. Of course BK and Pedan preformed as good or if not better as Johns, i think he was definately the swing in that Grand Final and GF qualifier.

We lost to the dragons whilst Joey was off didn't we? it was for the Minor Premeriship?

Yeah, we lost to the Dragons in the final round with Johns (for the minor premiership), then lost to him without in the first week of the finals without Johns for most of the match.

Whoever said we were 10/10 chance to win that year if Johns didn't get injured that year is kidding themselves, but we would have been right up with a chance.

To be honest, I reckon the year we'd have gone closest is 2005 (had we made the semis and not finished last haha). Johns was winning games single-handedly towards the end of that year. I'm, hmm ... 7/10 if we were in the semis that we'd have made the gf, don't know if we could have beaten Wests though.

alien

Referee
the dragons would have heaps of years lately where they could have won the comp but they keep doing the oki chokey lol

DeeGan said:
The Seagulls era - pretty to look at, internally poor. Name signings deflected a lot of attention away from the inept board.

Like Jeff Muller. Gee weren't things a real mess when he was in charge of the club.

The Engineers Room

First Grade
mongoose said:
stop pulling it, 10/10 certainties to win it in 2002? didn't you lose to the shakrs that year 66 - 14? No team has won the premiership after having 50 put on them.

I seem to remember Auckland beating Canterbury by about 50 in 1995.

_Johnsy

Referee
miccle said:
Aside from that, we've pretty much won the comp every time we've looked half decent in the finals :lol:

jeeeeesus didn't tink to hard about that one did you. I think it is pretty safe to say every year the premier looked 'half decent" in the finals, and those who dont win it did not look 'half good" in the same series.:fist:

Mr Saab

Referee
Natalie's Daddy said:
I seem to remember Auckland beating Canterbury by about 50 in 1995.

You recall wrong. No team has conceeded 50 points or more in a reg season comp game and won a GF.
Dogs were smashed by the Knights 42-0 at marathon stadium.

Latest posts