What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your clubs biggest wasted year?

i still don't see the doggies beating us in 02 GF, in the final few rounds our defence was revamped and took everyone off guard, our performance against brisbane showed we couldn't be f**ked with, we'd of beaten anyone that crossed our path that night

Stranger

Coach
Dodger said:
If they fielded a team that didn't rort the cap they wouldn't have been there? Please. Their team the following two years didn't rort the cap either and they managed to make preliminary finals and were premiers the following year.

*awaits "but it was assembled by cheating"* - don't see the relevance if they were UNDER the cap by 2003-4 - completely legal, no two ways about it.

You just can't be that dumb? Honestly its just not possible.

The team of 2002 was brought together by cheating. You can't honestly say that they would have had the team they did in 2003 and 2004 without the cheating that was involved to assemble the team in 2002?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
As opposed to a team that had one 17 on the fly before the cap rort came to light?

Not to mention the fact we beat you 24-12 during that run ;-)

All water under the bridge now I guess, you guys were premiers and we were the cheaters. :(

Timmah

Staff member
Stranger said:
You just can't be that dumb? Honestly its just not possible.

The team of 2002 was brought together by cheating. You can't honestly say that they would have had the team they did in 2003 and 2004 without the cheating that was involved to assemble the team in 2002?

Quality players could just as easily have been bought in 2003 and 2004 to assemble such a side. The fact that so many people hold on to the notion that 2004 was a "cheaters premiership" is not only ridiculous, it reeks of jealousy. By your book, our current team is still based on cheating :roll:

Mr Saab

Referee
Performance against the Broncos?
You had an 8-1 penalty count....and that one penalty conceeded was in the final 5 minutes.
The Broncos still could have won that game in the final minutes.
The chooks performance was not "that" great.

Stranger

Coach
Dodger said:
Quality players could just as easily have been bought in 2003 and 2004 to assemble such a side. The fact that so many people hold on to the notion that 2004 was a "cheaters premiership" is not only ridiculous, it reeks of jealousy. By your book, our current team is still based on cheating :roll:

No they couldn't have just been bought thats the point.
A player like Mason or Shrek or whoever wouldn't have signed with the blue and white for that little money. That is a fact. The players wouldn't have been in the team to begin with if they didn't over spend to blow the cap. FACT.

2004 Premiers were under the cap, but it was a team assembled over the cap = cheaters premiership.

Its not jealousy, its common f**king sense.

Timmah

Staff member
:lol:

If they took pay cuts and stayed under the cap, it's a legal side. THAT is common sense, irrelevant of how they came to the club in the first place. If they didn't want to be at the club after 2002, they could've just as easily left.

Go on with your facts all you like, we won 2004 fair and square with a legal RL side and that will never change.

Knight87

Juniors
For Newcastle, 100% definitely 2002. Definitely would've won the premiership until Johns got injured in the Qualifying Final. That would closely be followed by 2000, which I have mentioned in one of the threads on the Knights forum. 3rd would by 1998. Had a chance, were neck and neck with the Broncos (only to be edged out of minor premiership on for and against), but blundering after leading 15-0 and 16-0 against the Roosters and Bulldogs respectively (in the finals) pretty much sealed our fate.

Those would be the only 3 years where on a scale from 0-10 (after qualifying for the finals, 10 being absolute certainties to win the premiership and 0 meaning virtually bowing out in Week 1), we were rated at least an 9/10. 2002=10/10, 2000=9.5/10, 1998=9/10

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Definatley 2001, i was sitting at home after kicking my mates out of the house at halftime totally shocked. I knew the knights would be tough, any side with Joey and BK involved would be hard to beat . But down 24 nil at halftime just blew me away. We showed what a good side we we're after halftime but it was just to late. 2005 sucked arse as well.

Mr Saab said:
Performance against the Broncos?
You had an 8-1 penalty count....and that one penalty conceeded was in the final 5 minutes.
The Broncos still could have won that game in the final minutes.
The chooks performance was not "that" great.

oh yeah? not that great? the same performance that was voted in the top roosters victories of all time? always the 8-1 penalty count eh, no mention of one of our best players being absoluted pollaxed in a webcke/carroll tackle only to come back when half dead, broncos could of won? haha, just admit we were at our best that night

Big Pete

Referee
2002 for mine as a Broncos supporter.

Alfie literally threw the game to the Chooks, throwing a way ward pass which lead to a Roosters try. Dissapointing end to what was IMO a great season. So many great teams running around back then.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Dodger said:
As opposed to a team that had one 17 on the fly before the cap rort came to light?

Not to mention the fact we beat you 24-12 during that run ;-)

All water under the bridge now I guess, you guys were premiers and we were the cheaters. :(

Who ended that run?

And yet who is is that is contstantly suggested shouldn't have been in that grand final?

See, its a stupid arguement.

Hallatia

Referee
I have not known Parra not to have wasted years, I started following them in 1997 and all that I have witnessed have been dud years for Parra, 2001 and 2005 were the worst

miccle

Bench

Back on the end of the only REALLY unfair refereeing performance I have ever seen, and only a stray pass handed them victory. Sod it.

Aside from that, we've pretty much won the comp every time we've looked half decent in the finals :lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
Tonearm Terrorwrist said:
oh yeah? not that great? the same performance that was voted in the top roosters victories of all time? always the 8-1 penalty count eh, no mention of one of our best players being absoluted pollaxed in a webcke/carroll tackle only to come back when half dead, broncos could of won? haha, just admit we were at our best that night

There "ambush" defense was on side for the entire 80 mins? yeah and the pope is a muslim.
The much vaunted Roosters defense only just got over the broncos that night.
Who voted it in "the top roosters victories of all time"? Politis? Canavan?

tbone10

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
Eddie Ward was the ref in 1995. He did have a shocker, but so did Manly with their poor ball handling and inability to handle the occasion.
Spud Carroll said himself that he was a mess during the game.

Sorry i stand corrected.

Manson was the ref in 96 :cool:

LESStar58

Referee
Storm:

2001- the move to TD practically killed our supporter base
2002- player infighting and all the rubbish with Muppet
2006- obvious enough

DeeGan

Bench
The Seagulls era - pretty to look at, internally poor. Name signings deflected a lot of attention away from the inept board.