What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

your side for Round 1

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Let's be realistic....

1 Gordon
2 Feki
3 Beale
4 Leutele
5 Holmes
6 Barba
7 Robson
8 Fifita
9 Ennis
10 Tagataese
11 Lewis
12 Graham
13 Gallen

14 Politoni
15 Bukuya
16 Heighington
17 Tupou

Quigs

Immortal
Just put a bloody winning team on the paddock, that is all I want.

Not munch to ask for.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
What pre-season form is that ? a fairly decent run in the Nines.
By that reasoning Blake Ayshford should be first centre picked.

I don't think the formline of the nines is all that bad to be honest. Saying Ayshford should be first picked is a bit of an over reaction considering he played on par as he did in last years tournament.

The fact Bird produced what he did and Leutele produced well not much at all is a fair summary of how they compare as players. The reason I'm so harsh on Ricky is because if there was ever an opportunity for him to open up in space and prove the knockers wrong it was the 9's

Panda Power 78

Juniors
I don't think the formline of the nines is all that bad to be honest. Saying Ayshford should be first picked is a bit of an over reaction considering he played on par as he did in last years tournament.

The fact Bird produced what he did and Leutele produced well not much at all is a fair summary of how they compare as players. The reason I'm so harsh on Ricky is because if there was ever an opportunity for him to open up in space and prove the knockers wrong it was the 9's

Agreed , I wasn't endorsing Leutele , just stating the only on-field pre-season Bird has had was playing in the Nines.
Ayshford at centre was a total over reaction & won't (shouldn't) happen without providing some form in the Reggies , I just think Bird needs to as well.

bluefox1968

Juniors

That's a fair point about Leutele... We've been waiting for him to fire for a few years. This might be the year he drops back to NSW Cup (with Ayshford)...

snoozer

Bench
lets hope bird, ayshford, lutes, gagan, gordon, holmes, feki and beale(and the rest) all start playing the house down in whatever grade they're in and give flanno a huge f**king back 5 selection headache.

ghoti

Bench
No, if you're going to use the nines as a metric for performance to compare Bird to Leutele, then you have to use the same metric for comparing Ayshford to Bird. You can't be selective about your method of judging performance and not be completely full of shit. Ayshford was our best at the nines easily, he was dominant. Bird played well too, but most of his good play was from taking opportunities rather than making them, and a lot were from playing as a winger which he won't be doing in first grade.

I don't think nines are a good way to rate players for round one, but I think it gives a good indication of confidence and progress over the off-season.

I have heard that Bird has trained himself into a bench spot. Flano loves him.

1. Gordon- He's a class player no two ways about it. He is one of the first picked.
2. Feki- Under pressure big time by Gagan. He needs to fix his loose ball (in the air and on the ground) issues and quickly.
3. Leutele- Under the most pressure. Will need to assist Val in D and convert opportunities.
4. Beale- A bit of an unknown but gets there on reputation. His defensive partnership with Val will be interesting.
5. Holmes- The kid is higly rated, and rightly. Give him time.
6. Barba- Easy choice.
7. Robbo- Watch his kicking game improve out of sight behind a good forward pack.
8. A Fifita- Easy choice.
9. Ennis- Easy choice. 80 minutes please.
10. Gallen- For frigs sake play front row and do it like a champ. You aint a 5/8. We are short in front row stocks and flush for back rowers. It's the best move for the team.
11. Lewie- Easy choice. Never write a champion off. Can play in the halves or backs at a pinch.
12. Bukuya- Quality player. Watch him shine.
13. Wadeo- Time to turn potential into stardom Wade.

14. Heighno- Versatile benchie who looks motivated. Can play front row/back row.
15. Taga- Devastating off the bench.
16. Toops- Can play anywhere in the pack.
17. Bird- Excellent utility value. Enthusiastic.
18. Arona

That's our best, and most sensible team by a mile. Newtown are going to look bloody good with Gagan, Brown, Arona, Prior, Ayshford, Polotini, Stanley, Houma and co running around for them trying to impress for an opportunity.

Last edited:

DJDL

Bench

1. Gordon- He's a class player no two ways about it. He is one of the first picked.
2. Feki- Under pressure big time by Gagan. He needs to fix his loose ball (in the air and on the ground) issues and quickly.
3. Beale- A bit of an unknown but gets there on reputation.
4. Leutele- Under the most pressure. Will need to assist Val in D and convert opportunities.
6. Barba- Easy choice.
7. Robbo- Watch his kicking game improve out of sight behind a good forward pack.
10. Gallen- For frigs sake play front row and do it like a champ. You aint a 5/8. We are short in front row stocks and flush for back rowers. It's the best move for the team.
11. Lewie- Easy choice. Never write a champion off. Can play in the halves or backs at a pinch.

14. Heighno- Versatile benchie who looks motivated. Can play front row/back row.
18. Arona

That's our best, and most sensible team by a mile. Newtown are going to look bloody good with Gagan, Brown, Arona, Prior, Ayshford, Polotini, Stanley, Houma and co running around for them trying to impress for an opportunity.

He'll be miles out of position if he does.
He plays left side with Feki.

Panda Power 78

Juniors

3. Beale- A bit of an unknown but gets there on reputation.
4. Leutele- Under the most pressure. Will need to assist Val in D and convert opportunities.
6. Barba- Easy choice.

18. Arona

No Polotini has to be a risk , Ennis at best will have half a game under his belt since September , so 80 mins will be a big ask & that's provided he is fully recovered from the injury.
I guess Lewie or Heighno could fill in at dummy half for 5 or 10 mins if they think the injury is going to be OK.

My guess is at least one maybe two of Ennis , Taga , Fifita , Lewis will not be fit for round 1.

No Polotini has to be a risk , Ennis at best will have half a game under his belt since September , so 80 mins will be a big ask & that's provided he is fully recovered from the injury.
I guess Lewie or Heighno could fill in at dummy half for 5 or 10 mins if they think the injury is going to be OK.

My guess is at least one maybe two of Ennis , Taga , Fifita , Lewis will not be fit for round 1.

Robbo goes to 9 for ten minutes Wade to 7.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
No, if you're going to use the nines as a metric for performance to compare Bird to Leutele, then you have to use the same metric for comparing Ayshford to Bird. You can't be selective about your method of judging performance and not be completely full of shit. Ayshford was our best at the nines easily, he was dominant. Bird played well too, but most of his good play was from taking opportunities rather than making them, and a lot were from playing as a winger which he won't be doing in first grade.

I don't think nines are a good way to rate players for round one, but I think it gives a good indication of confidence and progress over the off-season.

The fact I'm a realist is what I'm basing my judgement on. Ayshford was our best according to who? You? I thought Feki was our best bit I'm just an armchair critic like yourself

I watched the nines last year and believed our centre crisis was over due to the way Ayshford played in that tournament. How wrong was I? Now if you want to jump up and down and believe Ayshford is going to play like he did in the nines then all I have to say is get your hand off it champ.

I have written Ayshford off. Sorry but not sorry if that upsets you

Sharknado

Juniors
No denying Ayshford went missing last year, but so did half the team. Like Barba I think Ayshford needs Flanno's love...& discipline. Plus...he is playing for not only a contract but his career, if he fails this year NO-ONE will sign him.
Will he succeed??
Its all up to him.

carcharias

Immortal
I wouldn't waste a spot on a second hooker.
Rather Richard prior got the gig.
He looked good in the nines...like he was actually giving a f**k.

The fact I'm a realist is what I'm basing my judgement on. Ayshford was our best according to who? You? I thought Feki was our best bit I'm just an armchair critic like yourself

I watched the nines last year and believed our centre crisis was over due to the way Ayshford played in that tournament. How wrong was I? Now if you want to jump up and down and believe Ayshford is going to play like he did in the nines then all I have to say is get your hand off it champ.

You are right to write Ayshford off. He was legitimately THE WORST player in THE WORST team in the NRL last year. A good 9's campaign does NOT wipe away his absolute multitude of sins. I simply cannot believe people so easily forget how bad he was in the actual 13 a side NRL.

ghoti

Bench

I have no qualms about whether ayshford plays or not, only that you chose to use the nines as an example of why Bird is a better prospect than Leutele based on nines form, but then chose to consider Ayshford's performance as irrelevant. Ayshford was our best performing centre (played in position as well) that day and it's hard to argue.

Personally, from what I've seen of Ashford's defensive technique and general attitude, I don't think he's suitable for first grade...but he did show a lot more determination in the nines so I'm interested to see if that translates to the season proper (from reserve grade though.)

I have no favourites for centre spots, but I want NRL quality starters for Round 1 (in all positions). I think that means a pick from Beale, Leutele, Saulima and Brown, with Ayshford and Bird in contention pending trial form or reserve grade form.

I think Bird is more suited as a bench back rower currently as he hasn't the defensive experience in the centres (the most tactically difficult defensive position imo). He'll get found out if tested too early, especially if Holmes is on his wing who also hasn't had too much time there in any grade let alone NRL.

Feki, Beale, Brown and Gagan would be my choice of starting back four for round one just for safety's sake, with a view to the development of Bird, Saulima, Leutele and Holmes.

I have no qualms about whether ayshford plays or not, only that you chose to use the nines as an example of why Bird is a better prospect than Leutele based on nines form, but then chose to consider Ayshford's performance as irrelevant. Ayshford was our best performing centre (played in position as well) that day and it's hard to argue.

Personally, from what I've seen of Ashford's defensive technique and general attitude, I don't think he's suitable for first grade...but he did show a lot more determination in the nines so I'm interested to see if that translates to the season proper (from reserve grade though.)

I have no favourites for centre spots, but I want NRL quality starters for Round 1 (in all positions). I think that means a pick from Beale, Leutele, Saulima and Brown, with Ayshford and Bird in contention pending trial form or reserve grade form.

I think Bird is more suited as a bench back rower currently as he hasn't the defensive experience in the centres (the most tactically difficult defensive position imo). He'll get found out if tested too early, especially if Holmes is on his wing who also hasn't had too much time there in any grade let alone NRL.

Feki, Beale, Brown and Gagan would be my choice of starting back four for round one just for safety's sake, with a view to the development of Bird, Saulima, Leutele and Holmes.

Holmes is better than Gagan. By a mile. If Gagan comes into the side it should be at Fekis expense.

I do not want to support the Sharks if Holmes is in reserve grade while likable semi plodders like Gagan and Feki and Brown are in first grade.

Latest posts