What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your sporting stories

Red Bear

Referee
Seeing Hallatia talking about writing her match report after a shitty loss gave me the idea for a 'sporting stories' thread. Post away your moments of triumph or your agonising losses. Should be a few good ones around.

For me it seems to be the devestatingly close losses that stick in the memory, rather than any particular victories

Didgi

Bowled second ball mucking around in the nets today. To the dick who was landing them on the pitch for once. Was pissed, to say the least.

DB

First Grade
I remember in the under 13's for soccer, we had the 'perfect season' so to speak, did not lose a game, and even beat a side 24-0.

adamkungl

Immortal
Just lost 7-4 to the top team in our oztag comp in the last game of the season. Was a good effort considering we had no subs and they pumped us by about 10 last time. If we played like that the whole season we would have won more than 2 games... ah well.

Season highlight for me was a perfectly placed 4th tackle grubber from halfway, a one handed pickup and put down over the try line in one smooth motion. I'll never pull that off again :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
scored 5 tries in one game, i was playing halfback, i ran the ball probably 7-8 times, was untouchable that game. Never remotely looked that good before or since.

abpanther

Staff member
I started playing cricket again a few years ago with a mate in the Sydney Moore Park Comp.

I started off playing 4th grade, didn't do much really, then got asked to play 1st grade and played there for the rest of the season, didn't do anything there either (averaged single digits) and the team didn't make the semi's.

The next week I'm at a B'day party, I'm on my 10th schooner around 11pm when I get a call from the 4th grade captain, says I'm eligible to play in the 4th grade semi final tomorrow and they want me to play. I say no worries and stop drinking after that.

I show up the next day, we win the toss and bat, I'm batting at no.5.

It's a 2 dayer - minimum 70 overs each.

I come in at 4/20, 2 balls after I come in my partner gets out so it's 5/21. I score 91 and get the team to just over 200. We bowl them out for 131 and get through to the semi's.

Next week I play again, they put me in at #5, we bat first and I get left stranded not out on 25, we lose.

In hindsight I should've pushed to open in the final.

Nevertheless it was awesome, that 91 was the best innings I've ever played.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
There's been plenty of cricket semi-final losses for me over the years - 10 semis, 10 losses. But the one that stands out is from about 6 or 7 years ago now. We bowled the other team out for 62 and were cruising at 1-30 odd and I ran my partner out at the time. We lost 8-24 and were beaten by 8 runs.

Then there's another one where we batted first, scored 130ish and had them 7-60. One of the blokes from my team dropped a catch that would have made them 8-70 and they went on to win by three wickets.

dogslife

Coach
Playing in the 2nd's cricket at school, I came in at 8/70 odd chasing something gargantuan, we were zero chance of winning, so I decided to just throw the bat around. Ended up scoring 49* off 20 balls. Hit 12 fours and a single :lol:

I've hit higher scores before, but that one always stuck in my memory because I don't rate myself much as a batsman

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Cricket: Have been not out in the nineties 3 times. First time when I was a kid, was on 96 with 3 wickets left and three guys got out in 4 balls. As an adult in a 40 over game was on 94 with 1 over to go and no one tells me so I run a single off the first ball and don't face another ball. The last time I got to 91 no when we chased down 150 odd.

All good fun though.

Danish

Referee
My 1st ever game of league, playing u/18s on the wing, we were up by a couple points deep into the 2nd half when their 5/8 took an intercept in the middle of the field on his own 30.

I took off after him, ran him down and made the tackle 10m out from the line. Basically no one from either team had even thought to chase, so me and him had to wait a few seconds for a dummy half to come and one marker got onside with me. I launched left at the play the ball and luckily picked the right way, tackled him and he dropped the ball :cool:

It was our only win of the season. Revesby Heights circa 2002.... Horrible side :lol:

My worst moment came later that season. Pissing down rain, in defence and a pass goes to ground. I scooped it up with one hand and took off with their fullback hot on my heels. Had a horrible grip on the ball but couldn't adjust as was too focused on getting away from the chaser. Got to the line, dived..... And dropped the f**king ball over the line :lol:

IanG

Coach
My most embarrasing day on a cricket field
When I was playing Under 14s we were playing a team that consisted of just 10 players and 5 of them were girls. The game progressed normally. We fielded first and they made 120 off their 30 overs. I took the first catch of my career in that game.

Well our run chase was an absolute disaster. We got bowled out for just 31. I opened that day amde made 10 before being out LBW. I'd been trying to hold the innings together and after I got out our innings pretty much disintergrated.

The irony was that before hand we'd been cracking jokes earlier on about playing what we called "A pack of sheilas" But still to get not only beaten but thrashed by them was embarrasing to say the least.

Well I think we learnt a very valuable lesson that day. Never underestimate you opposition. No matter who they are. We played them another 2 occasions that season and beat them easily both times.

Danish

Referee
I think our average losing margin in 2002 was about 40 points. St Christophers put at least 70 on us.

Happens when half your side is hungover while the other half are stoned (our hooker literally used to punch a cone at halftime)

Raider_69

Post Whore
My team in my final year lost every game, and in our final game of the year we were down 44-0 or something, i knew it was going to be my last game and the only thing missing from my resume was kicking FG... as it turned out with a minute left we worked out way down into the attacking zone and i stepped out from hooker (which is where my tubby arse played in my final year, think piggy riddell only fatter) and potted one over.

We lost 44-1 and we celebrated like we'd won the GF

Red Bear

Referee
U/14's Cricket semi final

This was one of those games that has gone down in history for those involved as one of the more distasteful losses.

We scraped into the four team finals series after a slow start to the season, but by March we were playing extremely good cricket. There'd been at least one outright victory on the way, we had a high quality team with four rep players (including myself) and others.

Anyway, so we're in good form against this team from the south coast. They were minor premiers and a reasonable team. We rolled them for 107, cant remember if i got wickets or not. We got off to a reasonable start and were well placed overnight.

There was a bit of rain overnight and the next day the outfield was wet, but it was a synthetic pitch so we didnt think it was really an issue. They go out to bat, we are cruising on 50 odd in no time. Last ball of the last over of the opening spell and fast bowler slips and falls over. It happens, think nothing much of it.

Next over (the final over of the other opening bowlers spell) and last ball, bowler 'slips' and goes down. At this point the umpires take off the teams.

So we sit around. And sit around. And sit around. One bowler is getting his 'injured' ankle looked at (sore ankle but surprise surprise it is not swelling up at all). Every time the umpires go out to have a look at the run ups and what not opposition coach goes out and says you cant play in this what if someone sues. Every half hour this happens until 11 o'clock when we realise we dont even have enough time to go out and play. So they get one of those really meaningful victories. They were so shitscared of losing they took dives to avoid playing, because we were f**king cruising towards a victory.

We won our half of the comps grand final the next week but that was really a half premiership, shithouse way to get knocked out of the competition proper.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Also in that same game, my best mate at the time was playing front row for the other team, he had also decided to hang up the boots at the end of that game... he had never in 14 years of football scored a try. Defending our line midway through the 2nd half, he charged at me and steam rolled me, i hung on tightly but he planted the ball clean as you like over the line, i immediate sprang to my feet and started acting as if he dropped the ball, slapping blokes on the back and then picked the ball up and started marching to the 20. Referee just went with me, he didnt get close to the line the rest of the game... 6 years latter he's still dirty on me for costing him his only try

Red Bear

Referee
My first soccer goal in something like 9 years was a good one.

I was on the bench much of the game, primed to be used as an impact player. The game to'd and fro'd (sp) in an entertaining fixture before the manager decided it was time. I had a quick run around before being subbed into the game to privde some spark in the last 15 minutes.

I was deployed on the right wing, slightly different to my usual spot at fullback. Happened to be marking a good mate of mine, another good mate was on the opposition and a few others I know were also against me that day. A scrap in the box and we managed to win a corner.

I positioned my self at the top of the box, far post. Team mate whipped it in, there was a scramble as people ran for it but I held my ground, met the ball with my forehead, and my eyes followed the path of the ball as it looped above the defenders, past a valiant dive from the goal keeper and perfectly into the top corner.

I celebrated with my teamates before we got back into position for the kick off. There would've been maybe 2 minutes more of game time before the referee's whistle gave three short sharp bursts. It was the end of a match that would be talked of for years (by me).

Final score. Us 1 Opposition 6 :lol:

adamkungl

Immortal
My team in my final year lost every game, and in our final game of the year we were down 44-0 or something, i knew it was going to be my last game and the only thing missing from my resume was kicking FG... as it turned out with a minute left we worked out way down into the attacking zone and i stepped out from hooker (which is where my tubby arse played in my final year, think piggy riddell only fatter) and potted one over.

We lost 44-1 and we celebrated like we'd won the GF

:lol: quality