What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your sporting stories

Garts

Bench
Playing in the Commonwealth Bank Cup semi final against Erindale College from Canberra. The game was the televised match of the round, we played the game before the Raiders played the Warriors in first grade at Bruce Stadium as it was called. We got spanked 55-0. Never watched the game. Erindale had Richard Villisanti, Lincoln Withers, Todd Payton and Royston Lightening. The last 2 had already played some 1st grade. Think it was the 2nd last game I played, the final was a trial for Newcastle. Went with Rugby after that.

Didgi

Couple to add...

Used to do Judo. I was good in that I was fast and technically good, which made up for a massive lack of strength. I was one of the youngest (if not the first in my age group) to achieve a brown belt in Queensland. Went to state titles and duelled a guy who was faster and technically better - supposedly Matty Bowen's nephew. Got flipped three times with the same throw, he was lightning.

Can't remember what else I was going to add. I'll add to my grand final tally Cairns junior tennis doubles D and C grade titles. I was decent, work got in the way of tennis though.

Hallatia

Referee
I played basketball all throughout my school years. One game for my primary school, this girl from another school with fake nails eye gouged me and scratched my eyeball.

Bazal

Post Whore
I am reminded for some reason of the time a partnership pretty much made a bowler cry. I filled in for 5th grade for my brothers side, against the worst side in the group. I probably could have scored 300 if I cared enough to do it, and that's not at all a reflection of my ability, it's all on them being awful. I only scored 80 odd batting 4 before I holed out, but this poor (and terrible, really) off spinner took a pounding and for some reason his skipper kept him on. Maybe he was rooting the skippers wife or something, it was awful. I remember he went for over 80 off about 7 overs between me and the other guy...every second ball went to the fence and at the end of it he was literally just praying to get out of there. After one particularly hard hit six back over his head, I remember he just sort of fell to his knees and held his face in his hands...I genuinely felt bad for him, he just wasn't good enough and his captain kept making him come back for more.

At my school swimming carnival in year 7 I dove in and swam half a lap of the pool before a teacher dove in front of me to tell me I false started. I got a massive cheer from the entire school for that one. Because I barely knew anyone, only about 3 people actually knew me at the time so I don't cop anything at all about it these days. The friends I made afterwards don't need to know it was me, and they probably don't need to know. I told my time keeper after I finished that I finished last because I exerted so much energy the first time around.

joshie

Live Update Team
In year 4 I played Basketball for school. I was an unstoppable little tall fatty. Most points, rebounds, assists and never lost a tip off. Oh yeah. Year four. MY YEAR!

thorson1987

Coach
I also hold the high jump record for U/12's at my old little athletics club. (1.2m)

Will never be beaten either. I was the only 12 year old ever at the club the. It folded after that year.

Ran second in a school 50 metre swimming race after spending 1/2 the race trying to pull up my speedos and stop showing off my lily-white arse.

***MH***

Bench
In all my years of playing footy, I've never been injured. When I decide to start playing squash of all sports, I broke my arm in a bike accident the day before what would have been my first ever tournament.

After I recovered from my arm break, I rejoined squash shortly after and then copped a forehand shot, point blank to the eye. Couldn't see straight for over a month and had a scratched cornea.

I think this was a sign telling me I should just stick to League.

Joker's Wild

Coach
U15 RL GF qualifier. I scored 4 trys and kicked 6 goals to get us through to the GF 36-10

The kicker is, with about 5 min to go I took a scoot from dummy half and got drilled by 2 players. Stood up and played the ball and thought Id just corked my left arm until I looked down and saw that it was about 6cm longer than the right. Turns out I had dislocated my elbow, smashing the head of my radius bone and tearing all the ligaments. Missed the GF and the subsequent rep season. I was a surly prick for weeks after that

campbo

Juniors
I once spent a whole season playing union - still got no idea how that game works

In my first year of C Grade we played against a rival team in the final round match and got done 24-16. The penalty count went against us 29-6 that day. The ref knew the opposition and actually said to one of their players after he penalised him for a spear tackle "to be honest, if you weren't my mate I would have sent you off." We saw him having beers after the game with that team and a complaint got put in. We got our revenge the following week by winning the elimination final 26-16 without him influencing the game.

Another memory is winning an U11s game 102-0 where I bagged 4 tries for the game and only played one half (25mins)

My favourite though would be U15s finals series - last round before finals I rolled my ankle and everyone seemed to think it was broken because of how swollen it was, after a good 8hrs in the hospital I got told it was just torn ligaments but I was out for 6-8 weeks. I told the nurse finals start next week and it was only 2-4 weeks left depending on how we go and her response was sorry your season is over then. Our first final was not a knockout game so I reluctantly sat out and we got flogged 38-4. I came back the next game, scored a try and had 2 fair ones (IMO) disallowed. We won that and the next game (got another try) and made it to the GF against the undefeated mob whose smallest player wasn't much smaller than our biggest. 36 hours before the game I did the ankle again at training just as bad as the last time and was just about in tears. Luckily I got the day off school as I couldn't walk and spent it icing up and iced the next morning before going to ground. I informed the coach that nothing would stop me taking part in this game. I started on the bench and after the longest 15min wait I got the call onto the field but we were already down 12-0. After 10mins on the wing I got switched to hooker and in the last 5 mins of the first half I got 2 quick tries and soon forgot about the ankle. The team carried on in the second half and we beat the undefeated mob whose closest game was a 20 point win, 21-12. Best day and feeling ever!!