What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your sporting stories

adamkungl

Immortal
Highlight of my footy career ...u10s fiv 3 grand final.

Leading most of the game, with 2 mins to go Canley Heights score to take the lead. Our halfback is in tears as we kick off. miracle kick, it bounces out, we get the ball back 30m out. Comes down to the 4th tackle, I get the ball on the wing from a blindside ruck play, dash for the corner, score the match winner.

30 second later the bell rings, parents run onto the field, I AM A GOD.

dogslife

Coach
My favourite footy memory would be in u/12's. I played halfback around that time, and I remember having just come back on the field after getting brained by a sole who was bigger than my dad, and my coach told me to try something/anything. 1st tackle of a set, 2m from our line and a metre from the touchline I jump into hooker, throw a dummy to the openside, scoot off down the sideline, untouched for a 98m try

The worst loss I ever suffered was from the same season where we were "blessed" enough to be given a game against the Brisbane west rep team, I think the scoreline was 60-4 odd. Their hooker was a girl, who was a better tackler and hit harder than anyone in our team, and she belted me a few times. And to top it off our best player was playing for them

McLovin

Staff member
I have played one game of competitive baseball to cover for someone. We got beat 14-0... i struck out twice and dropped about 4 catches...

to be fair, 3 team mates had shared a case and a bottle of jimmy before the game...

McLovin

Staff member
tbh i was nervous as bat sh*t... hadn't played any baseball in my life...didn't know the rules at all..

Didgi

Sporting moments that stick in my memory...

- Convincing myself I wasn't going to get a duck, ~U12s cricket. Cried and kicked my gloves off the field. Made more humiliating by the numerous school-mates on opposition team :lol:
- Hitting a glorious pull shot. Had ducked the previous couple of bouncers, told myself (naively) that I was wearing a helmet, if I got hit it wouldn't hurt, just go for it. Cheating opposition said it hadn't gone over the poorly marked boundary line.
- Taking 4 for 2 one afternoon with some simply lethal leg-spin.
- First hockey goal. Was glorious in that if I didn't get a stick in the way of it I would've lost my nuts.
- Other hockey goals, one where I beat the defence and keeper single-handedly.
- Missing an open goal (it was more difficult than that, but should've taken it), we ended up losing by one.
- Winning the U16s hockey grand final a couple of years back, going over to the Premier League players on the hill, all of whom were smashed, and belting out the team song.
- Losing in the GF last year. We were up by 1 with 10 seconds left. They got the goal after dancing past flimsy defence, we scored an own goal in extra time. Had a good game, but alas :(
- Winning a few touch grand finals
- A few individual tries, one I remember is selling a great dummy and footrace to the tryline, made it by a bee's dick I think.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I've not had the most storied of sports careers, but a personal highlight was putting two goals past my brother (then a rep keeper) in a single game of football in high school.

The first, a panicked shot from the edge of the box, went into the top corner and completely stunned him. The second, a horrendously poorly taken left footer, somehow dribbled over his outstretched hand and into the back of the net. I even turned a cartwheel afterward to really rub it in.

I only scored three goals in my entire season :lol:

Big Pete

Referee
All my favourite sporting memories are little ones.

* First game as captain we're packing down a pivotal scrum that could change the course of the game. As we're assembling I'm dismayed to find this absolute dropkick of a player is slotting in at hooker. I ask the referee if we could make a change and proceed to shout to my mate in the centres to swap places. We won the scrum but it was my last game as captain. :lol:

*Realised part-way through a game that our playmaker had gone off injured mid-set. Amidst the confusion, I decided then & there I'd play halfback. Miraculously, we score a try that set off a sweet wrap around player a mate of mine executed and our hopeless winger who'd maybe scored a try or two in about seven years crossed the line. Was so proud. Never played half again.

Red Bear

Referee
Most of my narrow narrow losses have been when we've very much been unexpected to win. The best game of rugby league I ever played was when we only had 11 players, they had a 4 man bench. I had to play fullback that day (although I was always better there and terrible on the wing). We played out of our skins and were ahead with less than 5 minutes to go. Opposition player got through and I made a last gasp tackle on the line, he tried to put the ball over and got pinged for double movement and we had a penalty.

5/8 failed to make touch off the kick and they scored the next play. We went for a short kick off and they scored again. We were just f**king dead at that point.

By far the best game I ever played, could get involved regularly and a few decent kick returns, had to tackle near the line most of the time we were so streched. Normal service resumed after this as I went back to being pretty terrible

Apey

Staff member
What stands out most for me is probably a soccer final series about 6 years ago. I think it was actually the last year that I played with my local soccer club of 10 years before moving on to a different one.

We finished 3rd with the two top teams being a few points ahead. We beat 4th fairly comfortably in our first final. Our next game was against the team who finished 2nd. It was a close game, we were drawn after full time and then drawn after extra time (was either 1 - 1 or 0 - 0, can't remember exactly) so we went to penalty shoot-outs. I was a fullback so I was pretty far down the pecking order, but funnily enough I was successful while some of the strikers weren't. We ended up winning on the 12th penalty goal, our keeper making a save and everyone rushing in for a pile-on. Probably one of the best victories I've had.

The Grand Final was great too, it was a 1 - 1 draw after full-time and the game attracted more spectators because other games were finishing up and the status was called out over the ground. We ended up scoring a goal in the first few minutes of extra time and changing it up to have 5 at the back so we could defend our lead. We ended up winning - definitely most satisfying GF victory we had.

Others good memories would be the second game we played against the best team in the competition. We were in Division D or C, and this team was about 10x better than everyone else in the competition, bar maybe 1 - 2 teams. The first time we played them we lost like 7 - 1 :lol: The next game was one of the best games I've played in, we ended up delivering them their first loss for the year and winning 1 - 0, the goal being scored by one of our mid-fielders from an amazing free kick for our age. Outside the 18 yard box, hit the right post near the top and bounced in. I think it ruined their season, they started to have few draws, eventually another loss, than lost in the Grand Final to the team that kicked us out the week before.

Oh... the year we won when I was Goalkeeper. The most nervous I've ever been in sport :crazy:

Bazal

Post Whore
My first game of first grade footy sticks in my mind. I was called up that morning after the 6 injured himself in the warm up, had to race across town from where I was warming up for seconds. First touch I got into second receiver with all these great ideas, took about four steps and got smashed into the next suburb by a big Tongan :lol: Second touch was much better, put the centre into something of a hole and sent him on a nice little bust.

Worst would have to be f**king up and losing a grand final in extra time because of it. We were up 22-16 with about 5 to go, 35 out on the attack and I could have easily snapped a field goal and won it. But the winger on the left called for it and I trusted him, kicked over...and he dropped it, straight into their centres hands. He ran off for a bit, they eventually scored and took it to overtime, beat us. I was pretty much inconsolable.

Best would be winning a grand final a year later. Everything went to plan, I scored a try and kicked two goals and we won pretty easy in the end, 30-10. Best feeling, especially after losing so badly the year before.

Cricket, best would have to be my first hundred. I was never, and still am not, the most consistent batsman. But I can hit the fking ball, so one day we were down 2-f**kall and the skipper sent me in and just said "It's flat as anything out there, just hit the ball when you see it." 90 odd balls later I holed out on 134, and getting that hundredth run might be the best feeling I've had in sport. Selfish, but f**k it :p I've only got 4 hundreds in 15 years of cricket so they're all pretty special.

Worst would be a tie between the number of times I've been stuck on 4 wickets and the time I had a hat trick dropped by the keeper. I have never taken 5 wickets in an innings. It's massively frustrating, but probably not as bad as having the fking keeper drop a hat trick. Especially after I set up the first one so well, idiot kept flicking me fine in the air no matter what line I bowled, so I put a short fine leg and had him two balls later. Second was bowled, third was a nice outswinger that took the edge, keeper didn't have to move and dropped it. I was furious....

My greatest moment from each sport
BASEBALL
Under 17s, in the first inning I was sitting at short stop, we leaked 7 runs, the coach decided to change the pitcher, I had thrown a few at training that week to help a mate who was learning how to play catcher. Since all our other pitchers were absent, the coach tells me to come and throw them. First pitch I throw gets pumped but hits the left fielder on the chest to take the 3rd out. We bat, 3 up 3 down, I go out to pitch again, leak 1 run, we bat again and score 2, I pitch the 3rd dig, shut them out completely, then we score 7 to win it. A week earlier I had never even considered pitching in a game, and I'd thrown 7 outs for 1 run to help us win the game. We won the game 9-8, it was a timed game so it only lasted 3 innings.

RUGBY LEAGUE
Under 12 div 2, not really an amazing triumph but a funny moment. We were 20m out from their line as the left centre was tackled (5th tackle for the set). I was on the right wing, and we had been practising a low cross field kick at training, so I knew it was coming, and I started to get ready for the chase, our halfback got rushed by the marker and had to break out of the tackle, and I didn't slow my run for this, by the time he kicked the ball I was 5-10m in front of him, and the ref was not ready for the kick and didn't notice, touchies were basically parents and were not going to make an offside call from a kick. Caught the ball and scored one of the dodgiest tries you will ever see. Never dawned on the ref how one of the slowest wingers in history not only won the race, but got there to catch that kick on the full. Try made it something like 28-4, we won the game 38-8.

INDOOR SOCCER
My mates started a team for shits and giggles at the start. Me and one of my mates were on the bench at the start of our second game (we lost the first 5-0), he asks me who he thinks will score our first ever goal. Quick as a flash I tell him I will. His response was to laugh in my face. As soon as I come on, a team mate fires in a bullet shot, keeper parries it. He runs out to pick it up and fumbles it, then fumbles it a third time. I run in and hit the wobbliest looking kick ever (struck it ugly), rolls at about 15km/h past the keeper and neither he nor the defender can get back in time to clear it off the line. Instead of celebrating I gave my mate the biggest serve ever for doubting me. We lost the game 3-1, and the team didn't score another goal until round 4. The fortnight between my goal and the next goal I think my entire team wanted to brain me from the endless gloating about scoring every single goal for our team.

Reading these stories I feel terrible. Never won a Grand Final (came runner up once for ICC U12D's to Arncliffe Scots, who didn't have a 12A's, B's, or C's the cheating arseholes), and after that never played in a side that had a winning season.

Probably my best sporting moment was playing 5/8 for Oatley Rugby U15's, and beating Bureneer for the first time ever in our age group (the team had been pretty much the same from U9's), and scored the winning try + conversion. The fact I had about 15kgs and a foot in height on top of the poor winger I trampled meant nothing!

I do want to get back into sport, so will probably sign up again for cricket this summer. About all I can do these days since my knees are rooted.

Springs

First Grade
One of my best moments would have to be playing U16s for Waratahs. We were playing the best team in the comp, the score being 6-all at the time. Our two props (also our best player Matt Groat) were sent off midway through the first half for a lifting tackle. We were 20-6 down and facing a full half with eleven men. Three tries later we had them at 20-all. I don't know how we did it but we did. Game ended in a draw. Ended up losing the Grand Final to them 49-18.

The most frustrating was probably last year's Grand Final, up 28-22 our five-eighth broke free on the halfway line, passed to me and I scored in the corner, only to turn around and see it pulled up for a forward pass. The siren sounded before the scrum was packed. The joy at winning drowned out any disappointment at not scoring though.

Other moments would have to include:
Playing in 7 consecutive Grand Finals from U10s to U18s.
Missing only one Grand Final (2009) from my last 10 seasons.
Coming back from 34-10 down in my U18s Grand Final to level at 34-all, only to have them score at the last minute.
Being thrown in an U15s repside as halfback despite never playing there in my life.
And winning last year's Grand Final with Yenda Reserve Grade, after losing my past 3.

Another story, not an on-field one but still sports. My hometown team and competition, Group 17, folded the year before I was eligible to play seniors for them. Since we didn't have juniors I never had the opportunity to play for them. Which pisses me off.

Hallatia

Referee
here are the highlights of the match report that inspired this thread

Third Grade played their final home game of the season at Jensen Oval at the weekend. After an excellent season thus far with the ball, it appeared that Bankstown had saved their worst fielding effort for their final home game. It was a long afternoon on a hot field for Bankstown who was not helped by their sloppy fielding or the calibre of the batters they were up against. Unis brought out a top order which had faced Bankstown's first grade side the previous weekend and third grade were destined for a tough day's cricket.

After 40 dreadful overs in the field, Bankstown unable to take a single wicket, Unis had set a total of 212 which included only 3 boundaries. The only good thing about that innings from Bankstown's perspective was its conclusion. The interval brought fresh opportunity for Bankstown who had failed miserably in the field. . . .

. . . .

Bankstown batted out the 40 for a respectable 120, denying the perhaps too strong Unis side the second bonus point.
Interestingly, one of the players from the opposition had mankadded one of our first graders the previous weekend

thorson1987

Coach
The good (all rugby league)

- captain of school U/10's team that won our grand final
- winning U/12's Wests knockout by setting up a length of the field try with 2 mins to go to level the scores then waiting till after the siren to kick the goal.
- U/17's grand final doing a Newcastle from 97. Exactly the same way
- running onto Brookvale for Norths in SG Ball trial. Although we got pumped my life long dream was to play for Norths
- U/18's Canterbury comp needed to win the last comp game against the other Campbelltown side ESA to make the finals (we had been undefeated since SG Ball finished but got flogged every game before that) but had a draw and ended up equal 5th with that team and Beralla Bears. Played again against ESA on the Tuesday night and won, then played Beralla on Thursday night and won then East Hills on Sunday which we won.
- winning Group 6 Reserve grade comp undefeated last year, after losing the previous 2 Grand Finals.

The Bad

- undefeated in U/7's Division 3 all year, averaging 4 tries a game. Then getting barreled out in straight sets in semis. Both games we didn't score a point.
- U13's grand final, we score a try after 20 mins to level the scores at 6 nil. Off the high kick off ran to catch the ball then smashed into our 5/8th and captain. Both ended up stretchered off and in hospital. (although Mickey Paea came and checked on me while he was getting ready for his game as we grew up together)
- U/18's playing in Canterbury comp (only 2 sides in Wests comp that year) in a semi final against East Hills had and all in brawl. Go to pull people out then get knocked out by their winger. (I was a 95kg 190cm tall centre, he was about 70kg and about 160cm tall)
- U/18's Wests grand final, hadn't kicked for goal since our SG Ball players came back. Our kicker had moved to Perth for work. Kicked 2 from 6 and missed the one from the sideline right on full time to win it. Lost the game in extra time.

Mong

Post Whore
In the spirit of laughing at ones self I will go with a shite one.

QLD junior golf championships 2nd round, had 72 at surfers paradise GC I am pretty sure it was, got grouped with the tournament favourite and a guy who apparently was Greg Normans nephew so plenty of interest and folk watching (by junior golf standards).

2nd round was at Robina Woods GC. I was last to tee off. Massive choke..

First drive in the water which is right at the front of the tee, drop ball at point of entry which was basically the very front of tee area, was not hitting it in the water again so used a lofted fairway wood, hit itway right of the water down the right side out of bounds..

Re load.

Pulled out an iron just to hit it somewhere in play so I could scurry out of there asap.

Awesome.. Recovered well, last hole in bunker in front of green for two, big crowd behind green so memories of first tee came flooding back and visions of knifing the ball over the green and into the crowd were happening..

Hit it to about a meter fortunately.

Choke alert.

Had 3 putts from there and missed the cut by 2.

Couldn't get out of there quick enough after all that.

Golf is awesome like that :)

adamkungl

Immortal
Been part of 3 GF winning teams. U10s greystanes, U16s merrylands, Reserve grade Coogee wombats.

2 losing GFs, U11s greystanes, A reserves coogee. lowest feeling.

3 semi final knockouts. Worst was when we went undefeated in 19s and got belted in 2 consecutive finals matches.

gUt

Coach
Karma on an Island

My brothers and I played junior footy for Brothers Holy Spirit Hornets (Lawnton). It’s a small club competing for players with local powerhouses such as the Pine Rivers Bears. The grounds are built atop a rubbish dump and the fields had to be checked regularly for sharp pieces of rubbish that worked their way to the surface as the landfill compressed over time.

I was possibly the worst player to ever pull on a jersey. I was always small and skinny for my age and a late developer. I was slow, a bit gun-shy about being tackled, didn’t understand the game very well and I didn’t put in at training. But for some reason I loved playing - I think it was the adrenaline rush when the coach would call me from the bench and stick me on the wing for the last 20 minutes of a game.

Now my lack of talent did not stop me bashing my little bro when we played in the backyard. Over, under, around and through him – I had all the moves to destroy a 7 year old when we played one-on-one and I rarely showed mercy. Not much fun for him you might think but it really gave him everything I lacked on the field - courage against big kids, evasive skills and tackling technique.

Probably the best memory I have of my playing days was the away trip to Stradbroke Island to play the North Stradbroke Sharks. It seems odd to me now that we played them at all seeing as we were geographically so far apart but I’m glad we did. We caught the barge over. My youngest brother’s team was playing first.

On this day the Sharks had a kid who was pretty big for his age and I’m sure he was used to battering his way through the line and scoring tries at will every match. However, he made the mistake of running at my brother who simply dipped his body, hit the charging big unit in the stomach with his shoulder and literally drove him back 20 metres. It was incredible; I can still see it today. With his right hand behind the big fella’s left thigh holding this leg off the ground, his other leg hopping backwards as my brother steadied him and with piston legs pumping, pushed! They gathered speed as they moved up the field until my brother allowed the big guy to fall and land heavily on the flat of his back. Not a bad effort for a 7 year old.

No such glory for myself though. Against my team the Sharks again had a big, aggressive unit who really did know how to run the football. He seemed to be able to get one-on-one and steamroll any of our players he chose. Soon it was my turn to try to stop this bloke – my Karma for bashing my little brother in our backyard matches. I was on the wing and he ran a long arc across field just to confront me. As he ran his face transformed into some demonic visage, his arms and legs seemed to spawn muscles and I’m sure there were sparks flying from his boots as he surged.

I’d like to tell you that I repeated my brother’s feat and dropped this bloke but it didn’t quite happen like that. I was rooted to the spot, frozen with fear. It was “lucky” that this monster wanted to run over me and not around me. As he charged I allowed him to push me backwards - not that I could have stopped him. I got a good grip on his ankles as he trampled me and I was able to hang on and bring him down. We were both surprised that I was able to tackle him. I suppose he did make it easy for me.

We lost the game and it was a long journey back home. However one thing took the edge off the loss. All throughout the day there were half a dozen cars parked on the hill overlooking the ground. Every time a Straddie player did something good these idiots were hanging off their car horns – “BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP!!” It was annoying to say the least – it was even bothering the Sharks players. Anyway after we’d gotten changed into our civvies we saw that these cars were still there and unable to start – they’d flattened their batteries with all that horn blowing!

Karma, it’s a beautiful thing.