What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zappia Scaring supporters?

Special K

Coach
I hear there is a article in BL with our fearless leader :)roll:) Zappia whinging for a change about membership and crowds.

I just want to know who has bought a membership or a ticket for 2009 based on the fear we won't be around if you didn't? Because I opened the paper this week on the train to work and I saw an add with Barrett and some slogan about securing the clubs future. That doesn't motivate me to purchase squat! If anything that makes me hesistant.

I haven't bought a membership purely based on the fact I don't want to invest in something that we are told might not be around next year. Why not promote the exciting buys we have? Why not market the new era we have at the club? Why is our marketing campaign a scare tactic? I know it is a catch 22(as we really need the money) but I have no confidence in Zappia turning this club around. He has completely soured me on the idea of membership, instead i've decided to purchase a bucket load of merchandise from the sharks directly. I'd be happy to give the club more of my hard earned money for this mythical membership(their biggest selling point is "become more of a supporter") if I could see we weren't such a spineless organisation who live in fear of everything. Every time I read about us, it is Zappia crying about how broke we are. What type of motivation is this to inspire hope or bring in the crowds?

Is the Zap Brannigan actively trying to work with the NRL inregards to scheduling at shark park? Judging off crowds from the past few years Saturday nights don't work. Will we have another season full of Monday night footy? Or is the answer simply to move more games? Would we go to Telstra? Wait didn't the Zapper already tell us we will have more games moved if we don't show up?

Has he got the developments approved yet?

spider

Coach
Why is our marketing campaign a scare tactic?
not a scare tatic k

truth more to the point of being scary

if crowds in 09 are down on 08 - it will be a slow gasping breath for the club

Last edited:

PJ

First Grade
So lets suspend one of our best and most creative players over sfa for a game that will be difficult to get a crowd to anyway.

Brilliant idea!

Special K

Coach
not a scare tatic k

truth more to the point of being scary

if crowds in 09 are down on 08 - it will be a slow gasping breath for the football club
So why cut corners when it comes to the product? Why are we letting Anderson walk and not replacing him with someone of equal value? To save more money? Build a successful football team and the crowd will come. You already sacked the face of the club last year.

If Gallen farts in church will we have to lose him to?

Why aren't we trying to create some hype about the team? We have our best team on paper in decades. Why not use that to get people there rather then trying to get us there out of guilt?

He is creating a train wreck. Once the panic sets in our season will go with it!

Special K

Coach
346715.jpg

GET EXCITED FOR 09!

Frenzy.

Immortal
Well he scares me. The smarmy looking phuqer is probably a Dennis Fitzgerald plant to f**k us over and give another team a better chance of survival.

f*cken alleged woman bashing, hypocritical interloper

Windy70

Juniors
Well he scares me. The smarmy looking phuqer is probably a Dennis Fitzgerald plant to f**k us over and give another team a better chance of survival.

f*cken alleged woman bashing, hypocritical interloper

Your an angry man at the moment Frenzy.....pass it on to whatever players we have left and get em to just smash people on the paddock. Or get smart enuff to actually fight back against the bullsh*t

Frenzy.

Immortal
Charging $35 for a ticket behind the goal posts might be a reason noone wants to go...

Too bloody right Big Mick.

That's a rort. The bloody government gave them the money to build that monstrosity so it's not like they would have a lot to recoup on it.

Throw in a few $5.00 beers or whatever price soft drinks. Bag of chips maybe a pie or dog.

For $56 a month you can get 32 games on Foxtel.

fatshark

Bench
Im pizzed with Zappia as well. Why didnt he go all out and try stop the footage being shown on? . We will see that footage in every news clip for the rest of our lives. Ive already seen it 10 times.Zappia even got his ugly head on telly viewing it ffs.
I can name at least 5 other players stumbling out of pubs lately. This is just a jooooke. The more we dont hear from Zappia the better. Im sick of the carrnnt.Sludge wouldnt be happy.

PJ

First Grade
Exactly right Fatshark.

Should have been on the front foot attacking the journalist. First up they said he p!ssed himself, WRONG. Then they said he was asleep in a flower bed WRONG.

Highlight how little effort it took to verify that these things were false and how they really expect even a rookie reporter to be able to do better.

Embarrassed the journalist and his station and then the second story really just looks like a desperate attempt by the journalist to claw back some semblence of integrity.

All Zappia did was jump the gun, give fuel to the story and show the media reptiles we will roll over for anyone.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
jump the gun. Therein lies a consistent problem for Zapps.

For the record the NRL is going to great lengths to highlight how major sponsors have had enough of the alco crimes. Supposedly.
Well there are 2 major sponsors.

Telstra
Harvey Norman

Telstra has tens of millions invested in the NRL & in particular Bigpond Video. A contract that Singtel, Vodafone/3 would be happy to take up at more money if they could. However the 50% owner of Foxtel(Telstra) will not allow that to happen. They are in for the long haul & expect them to make a play for the TV rights at the next TV deal.(as they get nothing from the Foxsports Deal) (foxsports 50% owned by News & PBL(ch9)). Did you find all the conflicts of interest there? Bottome line, Telstra don't care about the alco incidents at all. They are going nowhere.
that leaves harvey Norman major Sponsor of the State of Origin series.
Again this f**king low life company is suspected of interfering & pressuring rugbly league companies by making threats. who runs this company ? The same woman that pressured the Sharks into sacking Bird from the day after the alleged incident.

Eion

First Grade
So why cut corners when it comes to the product? Why are we letting Anderson walk and not replacing him with someone of equal value? To save more money? Build a successful football team and the crowd will come. You already sacked the face of the club last year.

If Gallen farts in church will we have to lose him to?

Why aren't we trying to create some hype about the team? We have our best team on paper in decades. Why not use that to get people there rather then trying to get us there out of guilt?

He is creating a train wreck. Once the panic sets in our season will go with it!
Preaching to the choir K. Couldn't agree more. No doubt Zap's been faced with some challenges and done OK with handling some of them, but it seems the media knows they can get a good negative bite out him on any f**king issue now. And we all know what the media love. Want a comment on struggling clubs? Want a comment on relocating to ever-f**king gosford? Want a comment on poor crowds? Then call Zap. It's one thing to try to fire fans up to attend games, but he seems to me to be creating a feeling of inevitability that the Sharks will fail - and what sponsor or fan wants a part of that!!!??

To anyone out there Cronulla is the club with the worst financial position, most threatened, most likely to relocate/fold. Give yourself a big tick Zap for keeping us informed. Check you've done that. Now do the other most important part of your f**king job and inspire us you useless merkin.

Feej

First Grade
To anyone out there Cronulla is the club with the worst financial position, most threatened, most likely to relocate/fold. Give yourself a big tick Zap for keeping us informed. Check you've done that. Now do the other most important part of your f**king job and inspire us you useless merkin

Maybe thats been the plan all along and all this is just getting us ready for the move?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I have always stood by the mantra that if the team wins the crowds will attend games in droves.

Zaps has to understand how the fringe sharks supporters think. They are out there but they refuse to believe in this team purely because so many other clubs have won premierships after only being in existance for a few short years (Storm, Raiders, Broncos, Knights, West/Tigers and others have come close) and we continue to wallow in 'maybe next season' mentality year after f**king year.

What has been missing Mr Zaps is leadership not missing fans. What else can you put it down to?

i signed up because i want the team to survive and im too emotionally invested in it to see it die.

however this zappia grinds my gears. he loves the sponsors. wouldnt reinstate bird cos of the sponsors. whinges about low crowds (which are low)

had we won the whole thing, you dont think companies would have been lining up down captain cook drive to sponsor us?

but back to the crowds.

this guy should be looking after the clubs interest by going to the NRL and pleading our case for day games against teams that might draw a lower crowd.

The dragons and manly games are gunna draw a crowd what ever time. other than that we have to be careful about when our home games are played. last year we had good crowds at 4 games.

vs Wests, Parra, St George and Manly. the first 2 were sunday arvo games.

we had bad weather at points las year, however the trends were down on the previous year. even the first home game only got 13,000 odd.

Monday we play the knights. last year we got a piss poor crowd against them. i know because i was there. now...we play em on a monday night when their supporter base is less likely to come down and spend money at our ground? when people like me cant come because driving 300k's up the highway is a little inconveniant on a week day.
families of young kids are less likely to go because its a school night.

Zapps. get on the ball. ask for the sunday arvo fixture. the saturday night shark park stuff is over IMO.

Latest posts