What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zillman signs with Titans

Timbo

Staff member
Canberra just needs to have a good run,who gives a f**k about name players.
Get your no names to make it into the 8 and others will come.
Relocation my f**king *ss,I'm damn proud RL has a team in the capital.

2003 we ran first for 17 weeks, finished 4th.

Still couldn't get any bastard to join us.

The more and more sh*t that goes on down there this season, the more despondant I get with this freaking club. It pisses me off so much that our club can't hold onto players, can't attract players, can't hold onto coaches and repeatedly pays rep player prices for journeymen like Best or Frawley.

What's more infuriating is we're in a sound financial position and have a wonderful stadium, but our management seems intent on running us into the ground.

Now the appointment of Furner as coach. At first I thought it was a good move. But the more I think about it, it's another bad decision, another 'jobs for boys' move by our club that's run like a chook raffle.

Seriously, with coaches like John Lang or Graham Murray out there, we give an untried, unproven coach a gig. How many top shelf players are going to say 'wow, Canberra's got Dave Furner as head coach, I want to play there!'.

Someone else said earlier that they weren't angry, they're numb. I feel the same way now. I'm not shocked at all now when something like this happens. It's par for the course for being a Raiders fan.

I'm starting to wonder at what point the re-building cycle ends. 2003 looked like it was when we'd be back, but that was a giant statistical anomoly really.

We lost our last 'star' player when Daley departed in 1999. That was the last time we genuinely looked the goods.

So tell me, all non-Raiders fans out there, if your side had been 're-building' since 1999, with no sign of improvement, and your club being a revolving door for nobodys and journeymen, would you be ok with it all?

Lego_Man

First Grade
I also have no problems with Zillman - I have problems with the way our club is being run, but more importantly with poaching clubs who have no idea what development or pride mean.

How long till the Titans lose their licence? 5 years? The crowds are dropping after 3 home games.

As long as they average 12K and rate well on TV they'll be safe. I also believe that they're charging exorbitant ticket prices - bring those down a bit and they should be able to get another 1-2K.

Lego_Man

First Grade
I agree with Timbo - from an outsider's perspective the way they went about the Furner signing was atrocious. It took them all of 5 seconds to appoint him after Henry revealed he was leaving - there was no competitive interview process to look at all the candidates on the table. Just reeks of a kneejerk attempt to get one of the old boys to do the job for cheap, rather than shelling out for a more established coach. And while they had no obligation to get someone like Lang or Daniel Anderson, it's still necessary to take a good look at the other options.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Not too upset about this. I mean he's obviously very talented but if we had re-signed him for say 3 seasons I don't think we'd get alot out of it. I still think Zillman will make a name for himself but he's firstly going to need an injury free season next year to get some confidence on that dodgy knee and there's no good chance of that.
I think it'll be a few seasons yet before he comes good and I don't think we can bank on that especially with the price tag he would demand. A risky pick-up for the Titans but I hope he does fullfill his potential one day, fantastic bloke.

As 69 said, I respect the way he went about his business. Unlike a certain coach, Neil.....something.

Paullyboy

Coach
in what respect?
we've lost 2 members so far:

1. Neil Henry, a lying prick who was clearly never committed to this club and was only leetching off us until the cowboys sacked murray, i firmly believe it was never Henry's intention to stick around and that he completely used this club. We're better off without him

2. A very talented QLD kid who is returning to a QLD club to be close to family, a kid who has now done the same ACL in the space of 3 games. The titans offered good money and the security of a 4 year deal, topped with being close to family and friends, how can we beat that offer? and further more why should we? Its a massive risk on their behalf, one canberra obviously didnt want to take. I hope it pays off for Willy's sake, a tremendous talent and a really top bloke, but i have my doubts... massive ones at that... ACL's have a tendancy to be reoccuring. To have 2 on the same knee this early in his career... spells danger

Management have already stated after the Henry thing that they learnt their lesson and no such clauses will ever be used in the contractual agreements at this club again... what more can they do? they took a bloke on his word, and lost an injury plagued talent back to his home land... how either can be placed at the feet of management is beyond me

That's not my problem - my problem is that we have one very good player (2 if you count Monaghan) yet we are at the absolute edge of the salary cap. I keep hearing them say that we cant get people down to Canberra - well clearly whoever is doing the selling is a sh*t salesman.

But that's not even my problem, my problem is that we dont retain. As I've said previously I'd be as happy as a pig in sh*t if we never signed another established players - on one condition - that no one signed our established players. Obviously this will never happen, because the Roosters/Titans and friends are far too lazy to develop their own juniors and would rather just get their accountant to 'find room' for another superstar.

I still dont understand how any supporter can enjoy a premiership when it's just been bought and sold, if it's not a result of a building process then it's nothing.

Shorty

Staff member
2003 we ran first for 17 weeks, finished 4th.

Still couldn't get any bastard to join us.

The more and more sh*t that goes on down there this season, the more despondant I get with this freaking club. It pisses me off so much that our club can't hold onto players, can't attract players, can't hold onto coaches and repeatedly pays rep player prices for journeymen like Best or Frawley.

What's more infuriating is we're in a sound financial position and have a wonderful stadium, but our management seems intent on running us into the ground.

Now the appointment of Furner as coach. At first I thought it was a good move. But the more I think about it, it's another bad decision, another 'jobs for boys' move by our club that's run like a chook raffle.

Seriously, with coaches like John Lang or Graham Murray out there, we give an untried, unproven coach a gig. How many top shelf players are going to say 'wow, Canberra's got Dave Furner as head coach, I want to play there!'.

Someone else said earlier that they weren't angry, they're numb. I feel the same way now. I'm not shocked at all now when something like this happens. It's par for the course for being a Raiders fan.

I'm starting to wonder at what point the re-building cycle ends. 2003 looked like it was when we'd be back, but that was a giant statistical anomoly really.

We lost our last 'star' player when Daley departed in 1999. That was the last time we genuinely looked the goods.

So tell me, all non-Raiders fans out there, if your side had been 're-building' since 1999, with no sign of improvement, and your club being a revolving door for nobodys and journeymen, would you be ok with it all?
MMmm.
I'd be extremely frustrated - But then again I am frustrated at my own team's management.

The thing with the latest dramas Neil Henry - Why was he signed with such a clause?

Obviously management down there is the problem cause it's not the location.
People will bag and bag Canberra but as I said in another thread there are plenty of places where teams are situated considered 'holes' and they don't have the same problem.

The thing is,if the players wanted to be there,they wouldn't move.

I just think if a club is continually successful,players will be busting at the seams to join it.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I agree with Timbo - from an outsider's perspective the way they went about the Furner signing was atrocious. It took them all of 5 seconds to appoint him after Henry revealed he was leaving - there was no competitive interview process to look at all the candidates on the table. Just reeks of a kneejerk attempt to get one of the old boys to do the job for cheap, rather than shelling out for a more established coach. And while they had no obligation to get someone like Lang or Daniel Anderson, it's still necessary to take a good look at the other options.

David Furner has been with the club for years... and infact has coached 15 out of our current top 25 in premier league, and he coached them quite well

i agree that looking around bit more would have been a good idea but Furner, who is firmilar with the player group, the club structure, and has coached most of them too success, surely that places him right up there with any potential coach.

Every coach is un tired and untested at some point. Canberra have a history of giving young untired coaches a go and for the most part they succeed, the raiders arnt in the business of hiring nevelles to coach them

Bennett and Furner - both rep coaches,
Sheens - speaks for itself
Meninga - promoted to quickly into coach and had poor support staff, still achieved moderate success
Elliott - Rubbish coach, talented squad who carried him to reasonable results
Henry - 2nd to bellamy as the most sought after coach this year. Smart decision to appoint him, shame he turned out to be a lying prick.

Not to mention the fact that players turn coaches of that golden raiders era, have all turned out to be very good coaches. Furner i suspect will be no different, his old man was a good coach, he has a plethora of mates in the coaching ranks to get advice from such as Stuart, Bellamy, Elliott (ugh!), Daley, Meninga... and whats more, is he offers what no other coach can, COMPLETE COMMITTMENT TO THE RAIDERS

sydraider

First Grade
David Furner has been with the club for years... and infact has coached 15 out of our current top 25 in premier league, and he coached them quite well

i agree that looking around bit more would have been a good idea but Furner, who is firmilar with the player group, the club structure, and has coached most of them too success, surely that places him right up there with any potential coach.

Every coach is un tired and untested at some point. Canberra have a history of giving young untired coaches a go and for the most part they succeed, the raiders arnt in the business of hiring nevelles to coach them

Bennett and Furner - both rep coaches,
Sheens - speaks for itself
Meninga - promoted to quickly into coach and had poor support staff, still achieved moderate success
Elliott - Rubbish coach, talented squad who carried him to reasonable results
Henry - 2nd to bellamy as the most sought after coach this year. Smart decision to appoint him, shame he turned out to be a lying prick.

Not to mention the fact that players turn coaches of that golden raiders era, have all turned out to be very good coaches. Furner i suspect will be no different, his old man was a good coach, he has a plethora of mates in the coaching ranks to get advice from such as Stuart, Bellamy, Elliott (ugh!), Daley, Meninga... and whats more, is he offers what no other coach can, COMPLETE COMMITTMENT TO THE RAIDERS

110 % correct!

After Elliot and HEnry took offers elsewhere as soon as they were available, who is to say a daniel anderson or graham murray wouldnt do the same?

The Furnace will be totally committed and with all thats been going on this year, we need someone leading from the front with that total commitment. He may or may not be a great coach, time will tell but ffs he will bring some pride back into the jumper and perhaps it will rub off on the next crop of youth coming through, god knows elliot and twoface Henry havent done anything in this regard.

Philby

Juniors
Im not suprised that the Raiders have lost Zillman. It would of probably put the club into all sorts of trouble to outbid the Titans on a player who has a horrible history with injuries? I am a big fan of Zip Zip and hope for his sake his knee comes good. I dont think management would be real worried as now that frees them up to re-sign Bronx and also leaves money to look after the players coming through the Raiders very strong U/20s side

Ice777

Bench
I think it's pretty stupid for people to be saying that It's Canberra's own fault for putting a get out clause in his contract. It's pretty common practice these days to have such clauses and for the people bagging them they probably have at least 5 players in their team that have a get out clause for one reason or another.

What are Canberra or any other club supposed to do if a player/coach wants to have one as part of their contract? Are the clubs just meant to say no and send them on their way to sign with someone else which is exactly what they'd do? Is it better to have a player for at least a couple of years than to not have them at all, especially a gun?

I know it's a pain in the arse to lose players who exercise their get out clause but it's just a part of the business these days and to think it's not and to have a go at the clubs for allowing players to have them is just ridiculous IMO.

reginald.p

Juniors
Are you Raiders fans serious? After all this talk about the raiders are a young team and they will be top 4 in two years time, then you lose one of the few young players you have who are actually capable of turning into a quality player. Add to that Neville Costigan will probably leave as well, that is two of your best players with their best football ahead of them leaving. That basically puts you in the exact same position you were at the end of 06 how is this anything other then a disaster?

Johns Magic

Referee
Are you Raiders fans serious? After all this talk about the raiders are a young team and they will be top 4 in two years time, then you lose one of the few young players you have who are actually capable of turning into a quality player. Add to that Neville Costigan will probably leave as well, that is two of your best players with their best football ahead of them leaving. That basically puts you in the exact same position you were at the end of 06 how is this anything other then a disaster?

Raiders fans like to lie to themselves to make them feel better about the club.

Lime_Green

Juniors

It is a disaster. No bones about it.

There are some fans putting on a brave face IMO, particularly those closely associated with the club's management.

But the reality is we are in for another tough few years, another ridiculous rebuilding phase.

Something's got to give.

Paullyboy

Coach

Have you read any of the comments by Raiders fans on this thread? Or did you just decide to make up your own mind on what we must be thinking?

We are all upset about losing Zillman, some more than others, Costigan on the other hand is far from one of our best players and if he leaves no one would even notice. He's lucky to play 40 minutes a season - and he usually manages to space those 40 out over 6 different matches; all of which are his 'return from injury game'.

As I said in my earlier post, what's the point in us developing when other clubs who are too lazy to do any work of their own will just purchase them and put them on the 'secret account'.

eels_fan_01

Bench
I thought he was one of the guys who after they smashed someone last year said "we want to stay together, this group."

Im pretty sure he was one of them.

sooperdooper

First Grade
So raiders fans go from pretty much thinking Zillman is the bomb to saying he is a risky signing when many of you were saying how you needed to keep him at the Raiders :)
funny how it works in football...
rumour is he wants to get away from Raiders and develop his football and go on to play origin