What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halftime siren

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
It really is a big deal. It's probably the most basic function the referee controls, calling time on and off.

Granted, it didn't go off when it should have, as others have said, the video ref should have over turned it. That is the function of the video ref, to rule on things that the on field ref may have missed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Tbf we don't have a system where the ref keeps official time. He relies on the time keepers at the ground. He blew his whistle when the siren went. The siren was late not the ref. are you advocating refs have a stop watch and keep the official time?

If a tigers have a problem with it they need to talk to the landlords about the state of the equipment at the ground.

gronkathon

First Grade
Tbf we don't have a system where the ref keeps official time. He relies on the time keepers at the ground. He blew his whistle when the siren went. The siren was late not the ref. are you advocating refs have a stop watch and keep the official time?

If a tigers have a problem with it they need to talk to the landlords about the state of the equipment at the ground.

Timing system and digital tie in for the clock are all NRL accredited purchases

seanoff

Juniors
The auto system should also send an alarm into the refs headsets. They all have them on. Takes out any problems.

Also why isn't the NRL taking responsibility for all the time keeping. All of it. Amateur hours tbh.

rabbitohs95

Bench
I can't understand why our officials can't overrule things like this and forward passes (video refs can't anyway)

If we want to get mistakes out of our game can't they use footage to help eradicate all the mistakes.

It's ridiculous really.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Play the whistle. It is under 5's stuff. I can understand it was a crap situation, but in the end the onus on the team to defend. It is no different to the quick tap. The half doesn't end until it is blown over.

Sure something needs to be done, but in the end it happened at the Tigers home ground, not Brookvale.

lazza

Juniors
Okay the ref got it wrong, it happens, but the guys upstairs should have the powers to over rule the try as it was scored outside the legal time. Most calls made by officials are arbitrary but when it comes to time its black and white. Its a sad day when the NRL cant even get the time right, amateur hour again in a billion dollar sport

Couldnt agree more... the dumbest part of the whole thing is that it went to the video ref!!

Sitting in the grandstand, you could hear it clear as a bell. Then when they played the ball again we were all....less than amused. Regardless, we smashed them in every department. My seats are three rows from the back of the grandstand and I was still getting soaked.

TimmyB

Juniors
Play the whistle. It is under 5's stuff. I can understand it was a crap situation, but in the end the onus on the team to defend. It is no different to the quick tap. The half doesn't end until it is blown over.

Sure something needs to be done, but in the end it happened at the Tigers home ground, not Brookvale.
That's a shit explanation.

Please advise why the idea ref couldn't have said "actually boys the time had elapsed, wind it back". It's not a situation where a ref is trying to retract a call which changed on field events. There saying forget the play that happened after this point x because the game was not actually on.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
In this example the siren went early....

But Annesley said Souths had no grounds for appeal.
"Our rules don't provide for that," he said. "The decisions made by the timekeepers are final. They fall into the same category as refereeing mistakes. It's never good when they happen and they have an impact on the game. It's just unfortunate and regrettable."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/nrl...n-the-spotlight/2008/06/01/1212258648831.html

As I said before, it is a stupid situation and it needs to be fixed, but.... play the whistle... At any other point in the game it would be the same story. At least it wasn't a game changing event. I can't imagine anybody would be ok with the try being stripped from their side when the whistle hasn't been blown either. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

For the record too, the timekeeper is provided by the NRL.

Apparently this is the 2nd week in a row too. How does that saying go? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice.... You would think it would have been a discussion the team would have been over.

TimmyB

Juniors
Why are you referring me to what Annesley said? I'm saying how it should be, not what it is.

TimmyB

Juniors
You're being pretty literal. The whole tenor of what I've said in this thread is why are the video refs able to adjudicate on all manner of other things and not this. If you seriously think saying "It's the rules" is an adequate or appropriate response to my question then you are an ignoramus.

Nonetheless I'll try again.

Why are the video refs unable to step in on an occasion such as this and advise the referee time had elapse prior to the play the ball of the scoring play>

TimmyB

Juniors
In fact, I said this earlier in the thread:
The geniused thing to me is thar the video ref couldn't come in and say that was clearly after the siren, all plays after the siren ars void. Maybe upsetting for Manly but a far lesser miscarriage of justice than what happened.

They can rule on touch and go issues but not the flagrantly obvious? Ridiculous.
So it's pretty clear when I asked why couldn't the video ref have come in, I wasn't asking whether there was a rule against it. I wasn't blaming the video refs. I was blaming the stupidity of the situation.

Easts played a game this year where the siren went 10 seconds after the clock counted down and the opposition got another tackle in on our line. I can't remember if it was Parra or Manly though. They didn't score so it doesn't matter but it's criminal that this could happen.

gypsy

Bench
Accountability. As mentioned in my recent thread. Both should be reffing park footy next week.
To be NRL CEO for a day....dear me.

Canard

Immortal
I can't understand why our officials can't overrule things like this and forward passes (video refs can't anyway)

If we want to get mistakes out of our game can't they use footage to help eradicate all the mistakes.

It's ridiculous really.

Because to rule a pass "forward" thrown from the 10m line, from a fixed camera sitting on the 50m line is just not that simple.

Commentators are the one's who perpetuate this the most, by claiming from where they are sitting they can tell if its forward or not, when they are at times 70m from the pass.

Not mention people believe that the player receiving the ball must ALWAYS be behind the original passer's position (like its an offside issue)

firechild

First Grade
Because to rule a pass "forward" thrown from the 10m line, from a fixed camera sitting on the 50m line is just not that simple.

Commentators are the one's who perpetuate this the most, by claiming from where they are sitting they can tell if its forward or not, when they are at times 70m from the pass.

Not mention people believe that the player receiving the ball must ALWAYS be behind the original passer's position (like its an offside issue)

But surely to rule on forward passes we just could implement the exact same system that is currently in place for tries, unless it can be proven then it cannot be overruled. There are some where it is clear to everyone that the pass was forward (the infamous one by Parra against Manly comes to mind), these should be fair game for video refs.

Latest posts