What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Halftime siren

Canard

Immortal
But surely to rule on forward passes we just could implement the exact same system that is currently in place for tries, unless it can be proven then it cannot be overruled. There are some where it is clear to everyone that the pass was forward (the infamous one by Parra against Manly comes to mind), these should be fair game for video refs.

But it would be inconsistent.

I.e. passes in a certain area of the field may be ruled on but not in others, and all dependent on camera position.

firechild

First Grade
But it would be inconsistent.

I.e. passes in a certain area of the field may be ruled on but not in others, and all dependent on camera position.

Grounding of the ball has inconsistent calls based on the positions of the players and the angles of the cameras. Nothing is flawless but we could eliminate the absolute howlers.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The muppet operating the siren is more official than the official timekeeper it seems.

Seems like there are mixed reports of whether or not the siren went off.
People in the grandstand are saying they heard it go off correctly at the right time.
Where I was, in front of Keith Barnes stand, I couldn't hear it...but the crowd was very loud there.
As Farah said though, not being able to hear it isn't good enough (sounds like he could hear it). Between the 2 referees one of them should have seen there was only a few seconds left and been watching it down to 0:00

Card Shark

Immortal
I do find it amusing we are complaining about a few seconds on a clock whereas in soccer, no bugger knows the time, except the ref.

& he blows the whistle whenever he feels like it, quite often at the end of a potential goal scoring play. Never blows it in the lead up!

Matchball

Bench
I do find it amusing we are complaining about a few seconds on a clock whereas in soccer, no bugger knows the time, except the ref.

& he blows the whistle whenever he feels like it, quite often at the end of a potential goal scoring play. Never blows it in the lead up!

Seconds can determine a game. Look how American sports adhere to the clock and view replays to determine if time was done before the play.
The game is 80 mins, 40 mins a half.
Not 39.59 and not 40.01. 40.

I don' t care it happened to my team, I'd be blowing up for any game that shit like this happens. It's unprofessional and makes the sport look very amateur.

Card Shark

Immortal
I agree mate, just trying to put it in a bit of context.

In the nines, my team was on the attack & they blew the siren with about 15 secs on the clock before halftime. Unacceptable if that happened in the NRL.

The Eagle

Juniors
Seconds can determine a game. Look how American sports adhere to the clock and view replays to determine if time was done before the play.
The game is 80 mins, 40 mins a half.
Not 39.59 and not 40.01. 40.

I don' t care it happened to my team, I'd be blowing up for any game that shit like this happens. It's unprofessional and makes the sport look very amateur.

But you're whining now it happened to you in a game won by many points

The Rosco

Bench

Yeah, funny that, CS.
Actually, the 1 or 2 assistant refs( linesmen ) should also synchronise their watches at kick-off.
The ref is the main timekeeper courtesy of his wrist-watch. As old-fashioned as that is . . . . it seems more acceptable than what what happened on Sunday.

In the end, meh. The whole Manly scoring a try thing achieved only 1 thing. It got the hopes of Manly players and fans all wound up in anticipation of a come-back.
To see that glimmer of hope crushed by abject failure shortly after half time spoke to me louder than any dodgy L.O hooter.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...nly-in-the-leichhardt-wet-20140406-366lu.html

No Ashleeee, you and your merry men are responsible for keeping track of the time.

You are incorrect. I refer you, first to the note to law 3, from section 7 of the Laws of the Game -

Using Timekeeper​
3. A timekeeper may be employed to signal half time and full time, in which case the referee on receiving the timekeeper?s signal, terminates the half in the manner described above.
A timekeeper may also assist the Referee in determining the end of a player?s temporary suspension.

At NRL level they use time keepers.

Now I have not seen it any footage of what occurred so I am no position to judge who was at fault (if anyone). Just for completeness' sake this is what Law 3, from Section 7 of the Laws of the Game says about the end of play -

End of play 3. If time expires in either half when the ball is out of play or a player in possession has been tackled and the ball has not been played the Referee shall immediately blow his whistle to terminate play. If the ball is in play when time expires, the Referee shall terminate play when next the ball goes out of play or a player in possession is tackled but time shall be extended to allow a penalty kick or a kick at goal to be taken in which case the half is terminated when next the ball goes out of play or a tackle is effected, unless a further penalty is awarded in which case time is again extended for the kick to be taken.​

Hope that info is of assistance.

Western_Eel

Juniors
It doesnt really matter the better team will always win, It doesnt matter if the half goes for 40mins or 40:15 the better team will always win.
IMO the game should go longer anyway

Latest posts