What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ref Watch 2014 (aka the Skeepe Thread)

cleary89

Coach
When i was reffing, on of the guys did that in a grade down at como. Blew 27 penalties in 70 minutes with his reasoning "i set the standard and they kept breaking it". Was a f**king shit house game and got smashed by the crowd every week for the rest of the year. As much as you think you wanna see it, you don't. You could honestly find a penalty in 90% of tackles.

Canard

Immortal
Bullshit. Refs started coaching players in the harrigan era when he would try to blow as few penalties as possible during a match.

Go back to Mick Stone and Barry Gomersall. They would call held and the tackle number and that was it. Step out of line and get 5 or 10 in the bin.

Players are full time professionals. If they infringe, penalise them.

Is this just perception due to refs not being miced until 97 though?

Bretto

Bench
Terrible performance from this numpty tonight.

Is he the worst ref in the game currently?

tumbidragon

First Grade
Hayne was dead set trying his hardest to keep NZ in the game there in the dying minutes. He rates right along side Harrigan as one of the biggest nuffy f**kwitts in modern officialdom.

gronkathon

First Grade
Strangely enough I can cope with the little errors in officiating if there is only one guy in the middle.

Makes for a better game

Dutchy

Immortal
We (Australia) got the rub of the green again. Not as blatant as when Archer cheated big time for us against England, but still favorable.

Not bullshit at all. Have a chat to any of the referees from the 80s and early 90s, including Mick Stone.

I'm not saying today's referees are weaker - far from it. But to claim the talking didn't exist until recently is a load of crap.

I had former 1st grade refs when I was getting my refereeing qualifications in the early 1990s. They ground it into me that voice control is at times more important than the whistle. If you just blow the pear out of it and give penalty after penalty then you are considered to have lost control of the game. Despite what many fans think, players will not stop doing stuff if you merely penalise them.

Is this just perception due to refs not being miced until 97 though?

You hit the nail on the head.

Perth Red

Post Whore
In discussions around why go to games rather than sit at home we say atmosphere is a key reason. With every try going upstairs these days it kills the energy and noise from the crowd in the heat of the moment of seeing a try scored. Must admit watching the nines where refs had to make decisions and fans just accepted the decision was a breath of fresh air compared to the season proper where the flow and atmosphere is killed every time someone scores.

MaxPower

Juniors
On field refs should not be able to refer decisions or delegate their responsibilities to the video ref. The video ref should only be used for a "captains challenge", where a team can dispute the decision of the on field ref. Each team receives two challenges per half, with an upheld challenge costing the team nothing and an overruled challenge costing the team an available challenge. The on-field decision may only be overturned if the video ref has conclusive evidence of a mistake.

mepelthwack

Juniors
On field refs should not be able to refer decisions or delegate their responsibilities to the video ref. The video ref should only be used for a "captains challenge", where a team can dispute the decision of the on field ref. Each team receives two challenges per half, with an upheld challenge costing the team nothing and an overruled challenge costing the team an available challenge. The on-field decision may only be overturned if the video ref has conclusive evidence of a mistake.

I could so live with that.