What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach for 2015 on

Who would you like to see appointed as Dragons Coach from 2015 on

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guvner

First Grade
Yep, the list is getting smaller. All the good coaches are locked up on long term deals with their current NRL clubs and all that is left is the scraps. Now is not the time to be risking another few years rebuilding with a rookie coach. We need a coach that is going to attract talent and not be a push over with our current management and board issues. We also need a coach who is going to cultivate and help develop our juniors. The guy you have mentioned is the guy who can do this for us and he is the guy who I would like us to approach. Highly unlikely that we will, but it would be nice if we went for the best available.

What exactly is it about Wane's record that suggests he could do all this in the NRL? Im sorry, i dont get the jiz fest over an ESL coach with zero NRL experience of any kind. You talk about not risking a rookie coach, well he is one when it comes to the NRL. He would be a huge risk and a bloody expensive one. What about him makes you think he would attract talent? Top players in the NRL wouldnt know enough about him to instantly be attracted to the club because of him. Brownie is getting better results over there, surely that makes him a better option?

GT0007

Juniors
:lol: GT there is so much wrong with this post I barely know where to begin. Just like your laughable claim that Mitch Rein is a good defender based purely on tackle count, you are letting surface stats tell you the whole story.
Bennett's Knights are not having a good year on the field. But the fact the club has been a shambles off the field all year long, and the traumatic loss of Alex McKinnon affords them some excuses. They did get within 80 minutes of a grand final last year.
That Sheens' record is abysmal is his fault alone, the 05 Bradbury premiership notwithstanding. His recruitment and retention decisions were poor at best, and his selections were laughable to everyone but Tigers fans.
He got the Aussie job for a reason, sure: because Stuart was sacked and no-one else wanted it. Another Bradbury. Despite the fact it is the easiest coaching job outside of the Harlem Globetrotters he still managed to lose the 2010 Tri Nations tournament (mainly due to his own stupid selection of Tuqiri on the wing instead of Boyd - Tuqiri made several crucial errors in the final).

In short he's a nightmare choice and would be akin to the Roosters hiring of Chris Anderson in 2007. A guy they only hired because they missed out on Bennett

Re: Mitch Rein. It's fact that every week he has topped the tackle count and misses less tackles than other players making 1/2 the attempts. Sure there are some deficiencies which relate to the pathetic effort of some of the other forwards not giving assistance however that has improved in the last 2 weeks. To call for Garvey to be 1st selection at hooker when he has been playing off the bench in NSW Cup is utter stupidity especially when he has next to no NRL experience and has been inconsistent in reserve grade. I'm happy for him to get a run off the bench in 1st grade but sick of the Rein bashing you do especially when your opinion is set in stone and not based on performance. If you are critical of reins defense then you need to be critical of Widdop who has missed several tackles which led directly to tries, not to mention most of the team.

In regard to Bennett, its well documented the off field drama the Knights have had in the last couple of months but it is still his job to win games and its very similar in his 3rd season with the Dragons that he only won 4 from his last 14 and we had a premiership winning team.

In regard to Sheens, he is not my 1st choice but has at least won 4 premierships, his club coaching record is at 51% which is 6% higher than Henry's even allowing for his dysmal stint at the Cowboys. His SOO games coached are 4 wins 2 losses. In regard to his recruitment etc at the Tigers I don't think you would know the intricacies of the Tigers dealings or the players themselves to comment so I won't either.

The issues we have is that the current in form coaches are not available and a lot are calling for a coach that hasn't been involved with the club which is reasonable if you want to clean out some dead wood. No one wants a rookie NRL coach so based on what this forum wants there are no coaches available except Sheens and Henry and out of the 2 I choose the one with the superior coaching record which is clearly Sheens. I will support either or any coach as long as they win games as my views change based on performance......you should try it!

GT0007

Juniors
The Sheens apologists also conveniently disregard his disastrous stint at the Cowboys.

Didnt Henry just get sacked from the Cowboys last season??? Did Henry also not have 1 season where he only won 4 games??? Answer is yes to both. Having said that if he does get the job with the Dragons he starts with a clean slate. I'd really love a coach that is currently successful but it seems none are knocking on our door

Godz Illa

Coach
Another impressive array of statistical figures. That bumps your stat-per-post rate to a forum high 0.89.

Look I don't want to make this about Mitch Rein, I was simply drawing an analogy there (although the excuse list seems to keep growing). His defence success rate is meaningless if the tackle is soft, but anyway, even if i concede the point that he is not a poor and weak defender who is clearly targeted by the opposition - the rest of his game is so woefully inadequate that he'd need to be a super tackler of Raper-esque proportions to justify his spot in the team. Widdop misses tackles sure, but he brings so much more to the table that you can overlook it. Rein brings nothing.

It's a similar story with Sheens. All he's bringing to the table are some mildly adequate winning percentages and some premierships dating a decade and more ago. Meaningless because he brings nothing else

jenninga

First Grade
Didnt Henry just get sacked from the Cowboys last season??? Did Henry also not have 1 season where he only won 4 games??? Answer is yes to both. Having said that if he does get the job with the Dragons he starts with a clean slate. I'd really love a coach that is currently successful but it seems none are knocking on our door

The stat with the Cowboys I think has been mentioned before as tainted due to the amount of travel and time they take to travel to and from Townsville which has contributed to their poor away form over the years.
And Henry was denied 2 GF's due to poor refs decisions.
Sheens and Brian Smith have abundance of experience but I think wouldn't have the energy a more hungry coach such as a Henry can offer .
Dare I say it but perhaps Bennetts best days are behind him also

gonz

Juniors

All coaches end up getting sacked ! Just sayin

I don't particularly want Henry or Sheens. But Sheens had something like a 26% win rate at the Cowboys. In fact the only club he's gone better than 50% at is the Origin-esque Raiders team of the early 90s. He is a myth.

BrissyRedV

Bench
What exactly is it about Wane's record that suggests he could do all this in the NRL? Im sorry, i dont get the jiz fest over an ESL coach with zero NRL experience of any kind. You talk about not risking a rookie coach, well he is one when it comes to the NRL. He would be a huge risk and a bloody expensive one. What about him makes you think he would attract talent? Top players in the NRL wouldnt know enough about him to instantly be attracted to the club because of him. Brownie is getting better results over there, surely that makes him a better option?

Brownie has done ok over there in his 5 years but is still to win anything of any importance. His team currently sits atop of the table and is doing well, but do we want to revisit the past with Brownie? Not sure. I would have him over Mary any day though.

Shaun Wane however has in his tenure won both the Challenge cup and the super league GF. He has been successful at bringing juniors through the Wigan system and have still performed well even after losing Tompkins last season and having plenty of injuries to contend with. Wigan have looked good from the footage I have seen and are very strong defensively. He seems in his press conferences to be a no BS kind of guy which would be a nice change. Have a look at some of the super rugby league forums and he is highly regarded over there along with McDermott and Smith. He has said previously that he would like to coach NRL. Not sure if he would be expensive as I have not seen his asking price and he could definitely identify any current forward talent in the UK and am sure he could attract them to here. He may not attract player talent in Australia immediately but there is not exactly a great amount of talent on the market currently.

Do really believe he would be as much of a risk as a rookie? Or any other coach who has not won anything in the NRL or was sacked from their last positions?

Semantics anyways as I highly doubt he has been considered as he does not fit the "profile" of a coach for the Dragons "brand". All I know is who ever is signed needs to be fully supported by the board and the best assistant and support staff in place to be a success and perhaps even a proper recruitment plan in place.

Last edited:

BrissyRedV

Bench
f**k it... I am so stoked after tonight I would have Daley. Would want to sign him up quickly though, I will probably change my mind in the morning when the elation wears off.

DUB888

Juniors
f**k it... I am so stoked after tonight I would have Daley. Would want to sign him up quickly though, I will probably change my mind in the morning when the elation wears off.

Well as they say it is the "Morning after" and I am wondering how we really feel about an untried NRL first grade coach = Rookie. Lets remember he has had a YEAR to win 2 SOO games (so far) plus a decent budget and twice as many support staff than he would get at NRL level.

Latest posts