What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jarryd Hayne - Make him an Eel for Life

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Yes, Ben Graham and Sav Rocca played american football for many many years before they got the opportunity to turn Pro...

I think there are definite positions where you would need to have played the game from a very young age (QB and Wide Receiver being the obvious), but there are plenty of positions a newby from a different code could excel at quite quickly with some training. Jesse Williams is a prime example...

Punt kickers and Place kickers are the obvious options for outside players. I could see Pat Richards being a sensation in NFL

I was referring to positions apart from kicking.

And Jessie was spotted as a 16 year old, and in the us a year or 2 later.

Never seen Richards kick an nfl ball - a lot different to a league ball - lunch lighter and smaller. Every year people from across the world try out for kicking positions, 99.99999% of them don't even get past the trial.

Suitman

Post Whore
i may be wrong but i don't think rugby union players would be in the top 16 league players

You ain't wrong Strider Boy.

The rugby was just completely awful this afternoon, and it was flattering that Gordon Bray mentioned State of Origin in his lead up to the kick off.
The game was so predictable, and it was funny how they wanked on about Folau and sliced bread. Best thing since, apparently.

Suity

strider

Post Whore
no way man - cutting it straight is hard work

I just can't watch union these days - bores the poo out of me
having said that, wednesday's origin was a bludgers of a game too (tho game 1 was sensational)

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...975600423?nk=055702fe9e2dfa5a8ab4963e8a493aa4

Parramatta want to make superstar fullback Jarryd Hayne and Eel for life

Dean Ritchie
The Daily Telegraph
July 03, 2014 12:00AM

NSW superstar Jarryd Hayne wants to be an Eel for life.

Hayne, 26, comes off contract after next year, and Parramatta management are desperately keen to kick-start negotiations early.

“If I wanted to go, I’d be long gone,” Hayne stressed.

Hayne spoke of a bright new era at Pirtek Stadium with a robust roster, flamboyant style and a rising coach in Brad Arthur.

“What he is building and the way he is coaching, I think he has a huge amount of talent as a coach,” Hayne said.

“He can read the game and reads the plays.

“For us, we want to make the finals. You look at the game on the weekend (versus Newcastle), we didn’t have a finals attitude and we should have wrapped that game up.

“If we had a better mentality and more experience we would have won. We went close, don’t get me wrong.

“We are definitely still in the hunt. We just need to find a bit of rhythm, that’s all we are lacking. We are a good team but not a great team at the moment.”

Parramatta has a big, fast and young football side.

With Arthur moulding the future, Parramatta is poised to yet again become a rugby league force.

“In the next couple of years when we can fix up our salary cap and start to buy marquee players, that will help as well,” Hayne said.

Asked was Parramatta about to sign Bulldogs centre Krisnan Inu, Hayne said: “I think there was (some talk about that).

“The last time I spoke to him, he was um-ing and ar-ing.”

Hayne is now back in camp with NSW and ready to star again in Origin III at Suncorp Stadum next Wednesday night.

The brilliant fullback was in tears after securing the historic series win in Sydney. They were television images that will forever be etched into Origin folklore.

“It was emotional and it was a long time coming,” Hayne said.

“It kind of caught up with me, especially seeing some of the older boys, Robbie, ‘Lukey’ (Lewis) and ‘Gal’ (Paul Gallen).

“To be apart of it was huge and special.”

Hayne denied this game should be referred to as a “dead rubber”.

“Everyone who has pulled on the jersey wants to win,” Hayne said.

Asked would Queensland come out fighting given their series failure, Hayne said: “You’d think so. I am sure they are going to want to win on their home ground.

“This game will be just as important as the first two. Origin is Origin, it wouldn’t matter whether we have been beaten 25 games in a row or won 25 games in a row.

“You want to win.”

Hayne has been simply stunning in this year’s series, particularly game one in Brisbane.

“I try and play my best every week and try and do my thing,” he said.
Originally published as Parra want to make Hayne Eel for life

Gronk

Staff member
This is another version of the article in Murdoch's other rag.

PARRAMATTA fullback Jarryd Hayne has given a clear indication he will remain at the Eels when he comes off contract at the end of next season declaring: “I think if I wanted to go I’d be long gone.” The Eels have already opened talks with the 26-year-old about extending his deal at the club past 2015 in a bid to ward off any other potential suitors. Canterbury loom as an obvious threat after being linked to him in the past. The Bulldogs are also still on the hunt for a bona fide No 1 after losing Ben Barba to Brisbane.
Hayne has been in superb touch for both the Eels and NSW this season and is among the leaders for the Dally M medal. The Blues No 1 has been at the club since making his debut in 2006 but it hasn’t always been smooth sailing, with reports this season he was unhappy over a shortfall in third party payments to the tune of $200,000.
Hayne was reluctant to discuss his future in camp with the NSW State of Origin team this week but admitted he had been impressed by the club’s resurgence under coach Brad Arthur and predicted there were plenty of good seasons ahead.
“I think I’ve been here for a couple of years now,’’ Hayne said.
“I think what (Brad’s) building and the way he coaches — I think he’s got a huge amount of talent as a coach. He can read the game and he can read players as well.
“I think Parra’s in good stead for the future.’’
The Eels are in 10th position and have the bye this round. Hayne said it would be disappointing if the wooden spooners for the past two years didn’t make the finals this season — the club’s first finals appearance since making the decider in 2009.
“I think for us to make the finals is what we want,’’ Hayne said. “You look at the game on the weekend (against Newcastle) we didn’t have a finals attitude and we should have wrapped that game up.
“There’s probably three games we can look back at this year saying if we had a better mentality and had a bit more experience in us we would have won.
“You give us three games and I think we’re at top of the table.”
Hayne’s focus at the moment is on the Blues and achieving the state’s first clean sweep of an Origin series since 2000. Hayne made his debut for NSW in 2007 but this year is the first time he has experienced the jubilation of a series victory.
He was in tears after the game and admitted the win ranked right up there with any of his other career highlights including winning the Dally M medal in 2009 and playing in the decider for the Eels in the same year.
Hayne said he expected another torrid encounter at Suncorp Stadium on Wednesday night — NSW won the first game 12-8 and the second match 6-4 — with Queensland desperate to restore some pride after their eight-year run came to an end.
“I’m sure an end was always going to happen and this game is going to be just as important as the first two,’’ Hayne said.
Hayne is a contender for the Brad Fittler medal, which is awarded to NSW’s best player of the series. He was named man of the match in the opening game at Suncorp Stadium on May 28 but wasn’t sure if he was playing in career best form at the moment.
“You look at Parra the last four or five years. (This year) is probably the best team I’ve played in and that’s why I’m playing well. When you get guys that want to tackle and want to run hard it makes my job a lot easier.’’
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...975745414?nk=f81c9410b99d2ac55a2e5203f75e5f58

Gronk

Staff member
Hope that Hayne has not made up with Slater and headed for Storm. I thought that their rivalry was ongoing, but this photo suggests otherwise.

Attachments

• 1_1_headbutt-420x0.jpg
    1_1_headbutt-420x0.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Hayne_Slater.jpg
    Hayne_Slater.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6

Gronk

Staff member
The haters are out in force.

Jarryd Hayne is almost perfectly suitable for American Football. His Rugby League style would adapt perfectly. Much like he does at Parramatta, he could stand around doing very little, have an occasional incisive run, and listen to the commentators rave on about his brilliance. Then he could go and sit on the sideline for a couple of minutes to rest before the next attack.
CommenterThe DogLocationHaberfieldDate and timeJuly 07, 2014, 7:44AM

TheFrog

Coach
If Parramatta want to move up the ladder they should let Hayne go.

The trouble with having one absolute out and out megastar player (which he no doubt is) is that you must pay them half your salary cap, and thus surround them with deadbeats. This is exactly how Newcastle ran stone last in 2005, when the great Andrew Johns was injured for half the season.

Fifty years ago you could have a team with five or six Jarryd Hayne's. It was called St George. While fondly remembered by that club's supporters, I am convinced this was a period of total stagnation for the game of Rugby League in this country.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
FMD, when given the choice of having Hayne or JT in my side taking up a chunk of cap OR a team like Newcastle with a motley crew of good but not great players - I know what I would choose.

Latest posts