What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings and More Crap XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

half_back

Juniors
Kelepi is part of our top 25. Just because he has been playing under 20s does not mean he is part of their cap. So his minimum wage this year would be at least 70 or 80k. I'd suggest more

He would not be able to play NYC if he was in top 25. NYC Cap is 250k. The top 20 earning players who participate must fit into this cap otherwise why have the cap? Pay all your best ones 70k say they are second tier or Wenty but still play them in NYC. No point in cap then.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Really? The club announced the re-signing of Tanginoa, Terepo and Kaysa on 5 July 2013. All three had played FG last year.

They just announced signings that had already been done. We were told in 2012 that the 'little four' - Tanginoa, Pauli, Pritchard, Masinamua - had signed three year deals, taking them past NYC eligibility. I remember it because it's unusual. Therefore what was announced last year wasn't an extension, but it might've been an upgrade.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He would not be able to play NYC if he was in top 25. NYC Cap is 250k. The top 20 earning players who participate must fit into this cap otherwise why have the cap? Pay all your best ones 70k say they are second tier or Wenty but still play them in NYC. No point in cap then.

If they're in the top 25 they can play NYC without counting under the cap. But you're right that second tier players (under 20) need to fit under the NYC cap or they have to play for Wenty.

Forty20

First Grade

Can his wage be split between the two caps? Say 25K towards the NYC and 80K towards the NRL. That way he is eligible for both competitions.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Can his wage be split between the two caps? Say 25K towards the NYC and 80K towards the NRL. That way he is eligible for both competitions.

I'm certain that if you count under the top 25 cap you don't count under any others. Otherwise the player counts under the NYC cap if he plays under 20s and the second tier cap if he plays first grade.

hindy111

Post Whore
It could actually be Seph Paulo.The article doesn't say contracted player.They may have said look we wont be offering you a contract so best too look elsewhere.

The more I think of it the more that makes sense.

It could actually be Seph Paulo.The article doesn't say contracted player.They may have said look we wont be offering you a contract so best too look elsewhere.

It says that we've made 'fresh moves to offload contracted players'. The article might not be right, but that is what it says.

yy_cheng

Coach

The Eels have their own salary cap headaches, but have made fresh moves to off-load contracted players, telling prop Mitch Allgood and another promising forward, to look elsewhere in the past week.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They pacifically said the bloke has been told to look elsewhere. If he was off contract like Joe Paulo you don't have to tell him anything. You just ignore the merkin and change the locks after Mad Monday.

oldmancraigy

Coach

Nah - you can play NYC if you are under 20.
I'm pretty sure the 'caps' just determine how much can be spent on players.

Top 25 can be paid $6.3m (or 6.2 if you don't have a long serving player). Minimum salary = $80k
A total of $440k can be spent on 'other' players (less than $80k or they become top 25).

Holden Cup top 20 can be paid $250k
A total of $50k for 'other' players (who can only play NYC).

Players in either the NRL 25 (+others) or the NYC 20 (+others) can play NRL. And any of them under 20 can play NYC.
Anyone contracted to 'Wenty only' (ie, not part of our top 25, $440k others, or Holden cup 20 + 50k others) cannot play either NRL or NYC because they are not registered by the NRL. They would have to sign an 'others' contract (or replace a top 25/20 player who is moved elsewhere) .

Maroubra Eel

Coach
It's pretty obvious who we are trying to offload. Just ask yourself, can you see us winning the GF with such and such. Then you will have your answer.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm certain that if you count under the top 25 cap you don't count under any others. Otherwise the player counts under the NYC cap if he plays under 20s and the second tier cap if he plays first grade.

Under 20 players can count under the top 25 cap only. Look at phil gould's article from a few weeks ago, he wrote about how clubs are paying decent money for juniors putting them in the top 25 based on potential when more experienced players are missing out.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nah - you can play NYC if you are under 20.

Not the case, otherwise you could just pay all your best under 20s a dollar less than the 25th highest paid player in the NRL squad and the NYC cap would be irrelevant.

Phil Gould had a whinge about this a few months ago. He said you either have to pay your best under 20s players inside the club's top 25 or they can't play in the NYC. That would mean they're on too much for the NYC cap to cover a whole squad.

Anyway, the alternative is to not have any of the best under 20s players at all. Every club has choices to make.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Under 20 players can count under the top 25 cap only. Look at phil gould's article from a few weeks ago, he wrote about how clubs are paying decent money for juniors putting them in the top 25 based on potential when more experienced players are missing out.

Haha good memory. I just referenced that article in my last post.

I'm glad some other merkin remembered it because I cbf finding the article if some idiot demands a link.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Not the case, otherwise you could just pay all your best under 20s a dollar less than the 25th highest paid player in the NRL squad and the NYC cap would be irrelevant.

Phil Gould had a whinge about this a few months ago. He said you either have to pay your best under 20s players inside the club's top 25 or they can't play in the NYC. That would mean they're on too much for the NYC cap to cover a whole squad.

Anyway, the alternative is to not have any of the best under 20s players at all. Every club has choices to make.
Where is a link to that article merkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.