What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV is strangling the game to death

Perth Red

Post Whore
[FKN-SIK];10437808;13251 said:
I stream in HD without NBN. Not required

Yes but if the country ever gets a decent speed internet the. We will see internet tv's becoming much more mainstream the. We will see online content go through the roof.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
[FKN-SIK];10437808;13251 said:
I stream in HD without NBN. Not required

Yes, but you are the exception...

With NBN, 90% of the Commonwealths population would have the same access to cheap, highspeed internet.

With this "...to the node" crap, News keep their monopoly over distribution.

Card Shark

Immortal
Commentators in the EPL pretty much always comment on diving when it occurs in a match and say things to the effect of its ruining the game, they don't like to see it, etc. Just one example.

Why don't refs call players for "simulation"?

Everyone else can see it.

Is it because they are scared to be wrong & penalise someone who is later found to be seriously hurt ?

Parra

Referee
Yes, but you are the exception...

With NBN, 90% of the Commonwealths population would have the same access to cheap, highspeed internet.

With this "...to the node" crap, News keep their monopoly over distribution.

This is geniused.

HowHigh

Coach
Nothing wrong with 40 minutes of ads before kickoff. I for one enjoy seeing 15 previews for shows I'd never watch and don't give a f**k about.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gould on 37min "well this game is dour". Really Gus? Good tight forward battle at moment. Way to talk the game up Gould.

Followed up by Rabbits at HT hooter, this is more of a dour struggle than we had hoped for.

Geez night game in the rain with two of the best packs in the comp. really, dour? Maybe they are playing to the conditions and pack strengths?

Last edited:

God-King Dean

Immortal
I like Gus, he knows his stuff.

But f**k me, he is getting unbearable.

All he does I run down the game. Even when the ref get it right, he whinges about the rule.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Gould on 37min "well this game is dour". Really Gus? Good tight forward battle at moment. Way to talk the game up Gould.

Followed up by Rabbits at HT hooter, this is more of a dour struggle than we had hoped for.

Geez night game in the rain with two of the best packs in the comp. really, dour? Maybe they are playing to the conditions and pack strengths?

We must be the only code where some of our commentators, people who are supposed to promote the game, actually do the exact opposite. It's laughable. Wonder how Channel 9 feels about employing people who actually contribute to devaluing the product and (thereby) a loss in viewership..

Billythekid

First Grade

It was a strange agenda to be pushing. When he made that comment there had been 5 line breaks already and plenty of attacking football. It was a damn exciting game of football and only some spectacular defense (like Pearce chasing down f*cking Inglis god damn) stopped there being more tries. There was also plenty of ball movement despite the conditions and the huge pressure on both teams.

You basically can't expect any better than that on a night like this. It really felt like he was pushing some agenda because his comments were so far off the reality of what was actually happening on the field.

Jason Maher

Immortal
All year my youngest child has been bugging me to take her to a Roosters game.

But as she's 8 years old, taking her to a game that starts at 7.00pm on a Monday or 7.30pm on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night isn't an option. If I did that I wouldn't get home until after 10.30pm

So on Sunday I took her to Manly because that was about the only option I had before the season would end. Unfortunately, every other family had the same idea and the ground was so packed we couldn't get a decent view for someone of her size (the family hill was full and like a mud bath)

Of the 8 games in any round - 5 of them are played at times that are unfriendly for many families. Of the games that ARE family friendly two of them are usually between the lowest ranked teams in the competition or are reserved for teams where the weather is a major factor if played at night. That means the Warriors and Canberra are more likely to be scheduled during the day. If your team is one of the cellar dwellars and you're getting pumped every week - what incentive is there for a kid to want to go anyway? I can see it now.... "Oh dad, can you take me to see your pathetic team get their arses handed to them again? I love watching you scream at referees and cry when they lose you pathetic old has been twat"

This means ONE game a week is played at a family friendly times between teams that would actually get youngsters excited at the action

The rest are all played at night, when the ball is slippy, the stadiums are freezing and kids should be going to sleep. It's a f**king travesty

We should have a Saturday afternoon game and TWO Sunday games of IMPORTANCE. Espcially during the middle of winter. f**k off the useless Monday night fixture - it's absolute garbage

At the start and finish of the season when it's warmer / dryer - sure have more night games. Thats when the huge blockbuster action is on anyway that keeps the sponsors happy. But mid season we need to schedule more earlier Saturday and Sunday games. It makes for better games and more access for families.

Luckily my kids (4 and 8) are good at staying awake until 11 at night. ;-) Took them to the donkeys-Dragons game last week, and that's about what time it was when we got back to the car (parked at a train station).

CC_Roosters

First Grade
I hope the nrl and broadcasters have watched the NFL season kickoff happening right now. Crisp professional event style coverage. Take notes d Smith and Co.

ozenzud

Juniors
I am used to NZ's Sky broadcast which is either Fox or 9's but without the ads. I was home in Oz a month or so ago and tried to watch a free to air match with all the ads. Man, I'd rather no TV deal than that. It was unwatchable and totally boring, sitting through countless ads.

They have paid a $billion, but they are more than getting their moneys worth!

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Another brilliant coverage from 9 tonight here in Perth, coverage finished straight after the siren so we could go to an old Mel Gibson movie. For crying out load it's on GEM, surely we can at least get the whole coverage, would of been great to hear how some of the injured players were.
My big concern is that this will happen on GF day, as it did last year. I had people over for a BBQ last year, mostly AFL supporters, to watch the game and explaining to them that our GF is a big deal just like theirs. Imagine their laughter and the piss taking that started when the coverage finished 30 secs after the siren!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm seriously concerned for Gus's mental health. He sounds severely depressed and not enjoying any aspect of his job.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Another brilliant coverage from 9 tonight here in Perth, coverage finished straight after the siren so we could go to an old Mel Gibson movie. For crying out load it's on GEM, surely we can at least get the whole coverage, would of been great to hear how some of the injured players were.
My big concern is that this will happen on GF day, as it did last year. I had people over for a BBQ last year, mostly AFL supporters, to watch the game and explaining to them that our GF is a big deal just like theirs. Imagine their laughter and the piss taking that started when the coverage finished 30 secs after the siren!!!

Blame the NRL, they have the power to,pressure nine to give us decent covg and quite frankly don't give a sht!

footy75

Bench
I got Fox and NRL app which cost me 1.95 a month...I can watch every game live and any decent AFL game if I choose...it's all good